Help on buying a notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

krazyfrog

This is my first post on the forums of Digit. Any ways my query is that my sister wants to buy her first pc. And since she's going to be travelling a lot she wants it to be a laptop. She wants a no frills sturdy laptop which she can carry around. Her requirements are also very basic. She says she wants an IBM notebook which she says are better. Her budget is around 80000 rupees. I would like to know which IBM notebook model will come under this price? She doesn't want a very stripped down model, but one with slightly better specifications. She works in Oberoi hotel in Delhi and would be moving around in India for the next two years. Considering these factors i would like to request you guys to recommended a suitable notebook. Thanks for any help.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I would recommend Dell simply because their laptops are better deals. IBM tends to be expensive. Same case with Toshiba and Sony although they make good-looking laptops. For around 80k, you could try the Dell Inspiron 6000 or maybe even the 9300. Check www.dell.co.in for more info on Dell laptops in India.

bhunnu16

Broken In
Hello Dudes!!
I m not able to decide on Macbook and Dell Inspiron E1505
Since the price in India r higher as compared to US so I m planning to get frm US but getting confused over two. PLzz suggest me one of these config

Macbook: 2.16Ghz Intel C2D(4MB L2 Cache), 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 8X DVD/RW,gigabit ethernet,Airport Extreme(802.11n),13.3" screen, built-in iSight camera, Apple remote, Intel GMA 950,Weight - 2.32 Kg, upto 6 hr battery backup,Mac OSX 10.4, Apple protection plan with 3 year global repair warranty .( Optional 2gb ram-> +$157)
Price: $1382(After education discount)

Dell Inspiron E1505: 1.73Ghz Intel C2D(2MB L2 Cache), 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 24X Combo drive,10/100 ethernet card, Wifi card,15.4" Screen, 256MB ATI Raedon card, weight- 3.2kg,upto 3hr battery,MS Vista Home Premium , 2 yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day.( Can't customise it anymore)
Price: $1150

Though Dell is cheap but its bulky , while macbook is costly but its light & compact.
Kindly recommend me . I m a developer & not a heavy gamer, want a light notebook that can help me in my work.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Apple MacBook would be my recommendation, obviously.

Keep in mind though that since you are a Windows developer, you will probably have to install Windows on it separately because it comes with Mac OS X by default, which is the best OS on Earth. You can install Windows in a virtual machine using the Parallels Desktop application or in a dual-boot configuration. Send me a PM if you have any specific queries about Macs, Mac OS X or the compatibility between Mac OS X and Windows.

My suggestion: Go to an Apple Authorised Reseller and give the MacBook a try. Use it for an hour and then decide which notebook you wish to go for. :)

@krazyfrog, Sorry, buddy, I don't really know which IBM notebook to recommend. Go to their website and configure it as close to her budget as possible. Done. :)

@bhunnu16, here's how you can do your programming on a MacBook:

*img402.imageshack.us/img402/6215/myvsfy3ot9.th.jpg

:)

Last edited:
OP
K

krazyfrog

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE? Why does this bhunnu guy decided to unearth my very first post and thread on this forum and decided to post in it? And man Arya you should've atleast seen the date of my post before replying. Why on earth would i after 1000+ posts would start one saying 'this is my first post on this forum'? And bhunnu dude next time you feel like asking something make a new thread. Please don't dig out ones created ages ago!

Last edited by a moderator:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
krazyfrog said:
WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE? Why does this bhunnu guy decided to unearth my very first post and thread on this forum and decided to post in it? And man Arya you should've atleast seen the date of my post before replying. Why on earth would i after 1000+ posts would start one saying 'this is my first post on this forum'? And bhunnu dude next time you feel like asking something make a new thread. Please don't dig out ones created ages ago!
LOL! I'm sorry. How was I supposed to know this is such an old thread! I know the date is there but frankly, I don't really pay that much attention to the date every time I visit a thread. And I didn't really read that first sentence either. :p

LOL! This is funny. :lol:

BTW, the word filters are there for a reason and bypassing them by misspelling the filtered words is against the rules.

Last edited:
OP
K

krazyfrog

aryayush said:
BTW, the word filters are there for a reason and bypassing them by misspelling the filtered words is against the rules.
Yeah you're right. Post edited. I guess i got a bit too annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom