Help on BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there
i have a P4 1.7ghz proccy OCed to 1.8(wasn't stable after that) on a jetway P4MFM mobo.
Now i wanna know what is "spread spectrum". found this option under the miscellenous controls and on the mobo driver cd i found a program named "magic bios" designed to run in win 98 but i run win XP and i am keen on updating my bios using this program as it will be safer. So can i run it in win XP or am i gonna face some kinda problems with this.
And at last, Iwould like to know that if i update my bios then will i b able to overclock further and will i start facing some problems with my FX 5200?
Thanks in advance.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Spread spectrum means that the basic clock frequencies used to time operations in your motherboard can be made to run, not at a fixed value, but with small variations. This is done to avoid certain types of interference.

For instance, if the FSB is 100 MHz, enabling spread spectrum will make it operate, not at a constant 100 MHz, but with variations within a narrow band near 100 MHz, e.g. from 99.8 to 100.2 MHz.

Most manufacturers these days make provision to update or "flash" the BIOS, but this does not necessarily mean that it's essential. You can render your mobo useless if something goes wrong in the process.

Whether updating the BIOS will let you overclock depends on how they programmed the BIOS data. If all goes well with the flashing, it should not create any problem with using the FX5200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom