help needed (urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoman

Right off the assembly line
hi ...
im want to make social networking site for my college.
i want certain features like scraping ,mailing nd display of live nodes.
can anyone help me out as to how i should begin with this
wat all languages would be required ???
will it be possible to make the entire site in dreamweaver????
id really appreciate help...
thanks...

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
PHP is a must, one of my friends did a social networking site as his 4th engg project. Has all of orkut's basic features. Just php and html.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Do you want to hand-code it yourself? If yes, then you MUST know atleast PHP and Javascript. Ofcource you need to know (X)HTML and CSS!

Else, there are many free and readymade engines.

OP
T

technoman

can anyone give me some opensource links for these kinda projects....
id realy appreciate help....thnks

You can do it with most server side languages like ASP, ASP.NET or PHP along with XHTML, CSS and Javascript. Server side languages are not limited to PHP. Orkut itself is a ASP.NET Application, but ya, implementing ASP.NET based solutions is not free.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^Even I thought that orkut is ASP.net but then I just thought, what if the server is set to handle .aspx pages using PHP interpreter :D

Also, I think they use a proprietary database program, BigTable I think!

:D Very funny yaar, but check the source code of the pages, they contain a lot of the javascript code "generated" by the asp.net engine. So they are actually using the real thing i guess. As for the database, ya they have a proprietry solution, though i dunno the name.

BTW, how are you man ? :)

OP
T

technoman

hi manish

actualy my project is changed nd i have to make a website for the department nd it should have the following:

• To have a department news flasher for the students and the teachers to get the idea about the news the moment they go to the site
  • To have a department photo gallery.
  • To display the results of the department on the basis of registration number.
  • To have a login for students for submitting the articles. From which the best ones will be displayed on the main page.
  • To have a login for the teachers to upload the slides for the students to download.
  • To have a notice board on the main page.

so this is basically a website containing the stuff above(i can design the website nd stuff the thing i dont know is how to do point number 3,4,5) ....how should i go about it...
help appreciated...

ManishSinha

Addicted to FOSS
3) Get the reg no of the student and try to fetch it from the database appending the reg no you got into the WHERE clause of SQL query.
Hope you know POST request and SQL/database concepts.

4) You know how to make a login system? Use sessions to register sessions. keep the name of the user logged in the array of SESSION.

I strongly think you should tell your proficiency in PHP. Esp tell us how much you know in Sessions, POST/GET requests, Database management, Cookies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom