Help Needed on kubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustam_singh

Broken In
Hello,
i have installed kubuntu 6.06 LTS for pc. I am completely new to this ditro and i need help updating it. I tried 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get upgrade' but in vain. I don't know how to use adept. Please help as i am now stuck with a distro that does not even have g++ or gcc.

Thanks in advance.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Open the Terminal Window & type:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential

This will install the gcc, g++, make etc., packages.

Also install Firefox browser.It's better that you use FireFox for browsing

$ sudo apt-get install firefox

Download & install FireFox extension from here

NOTE: when you are installing packages using 'apt-get' , 'Adept Package Manager' shouldn't be running
& vice versa!!

In Kubuntu there is a Package Manager called Adept
To run it Open 'Run command' dialog ( Press Alt + F2)
type adept Click on 'Run' button. Get the sources updates first. From the menu 'Adept'-> 'Fetch Updates'.
Wait it connects to the Net & downloads the source updates. Take a few minutes. After that select on the packages you want to install & right-click on it.
'Request Install' , select all the packages this way.When you are done. Go to the menu 'Adept'-> 'Apply Changes'.
This will download the packages selected by you and install them. Hope you understand what I have said.
You need a Net connection preferably broadband atleast 128 kbps.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Firstly is your net connection working fine?
Secondly what error you get when you give those commands?
If you don't get any errors and yet you have no upgrades post the contents of the file /etc/apt/sources.list

OP
R

rustam_singh

Broken In
I have installed ubuntu 6.06 LTS and i am downloading updates as i am writting here. I had read somewhere that kde is not good for newbies.

@tech_your_future:Yes my internet connection is working fine. ;)

Thank you all.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
rustam_singh said:
I have installed ubuntu 6.06 LTS and i am downloading updates as i am writting here. I had read somewhere that kde is not good for newbies.
Not at all. KDE, GNOME both are equally friendly for newbie and so is XFCE. This is the first time I am hearing it.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
KDE, GNOME, XFCE are all user-friendly. Some prefer KDE, some GNOME.
You can choose one as per your liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom