Help needed in installing LINUX..

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
Hello people,
I need some help for installing LINUX. Initially i tried installing Linux
OpenSUSE 10.2, Fedora and Ubuntu but not a single distro could complete the installation.
This is my configuration :-

Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation
Chipset Model 845G/GL/GE Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (B1-step)
CPU Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.40GHz
RAM Capacity 512 MBytes
Memory Type SDRAM
HDD 80Gb+250Gb IDE type

I have an NVIDIA XFX 5200 (128Mb) Graphics Card so i think there must be some problem with that. Among all the distro installation only OpenSUSE 10.2 showed me a hex address stating that there is some problem at that address. I didn't pursue the matter after that.
I just wanna install Linux(any distro will do for me) on my PC.

Even now when i try to install Ubuntu Gutsy i am facing some problems. The loader when trying the installation Ubuntu gets stuck in the very initial stage itself for a very long time...:(
Plus my display is connected to my graphics card so just can't remove the graphics card and install it also......
Seriously some one plse advice me on the best distro for my PC & on the installation procedure as well....:(

NucleusKore

TheSaint
First try this:
1. Pop in your Ubuntu Gutsy CD
2. Select the language as English, and don't move the arrow keys, let the default selection be so that you can boot from the cd
3. Now BEFORE you hit enter press the F6 key. You will get the option to edit the boot command line below
4. Press the END key on your keyboard once, and type noapic, and then press ENTER. Should be fine now.

If you get stuck again do as below so that we can find out what the trouble is
1. Pop in your Ubuntu Gutsy CD
2. Select the language as English, and don't move the arrow keys, let the default selection be so that you can boot from the cd
3. Now BEFORE you hit enter press the F6 key. You will get the option to edit the boot command line below
4. Press the END key on your keyboard once, and then using the left/right arrow keys and delete/backspace buttons change the words

quiet splash--

to

nosplash--

5. Now press ENTER and see what happens. You will now get the exact error message which you can note down and post here, or even simpler, photograph it with your mobile/digital camera and post it here for us to see

OP
thelordrrulzzz

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
hey Nucleus Core thanks for replying.
I tried the second way suggested by u and here i have taken 3 snaps of the installation. The last Snap is always the point where the installation gets stalled for an indefinite amount of time. This problem persists inspite of having updated my NVIDIA fx 5200 graphics card with the latest drivers.

Snap 1

Snap 2

Snap 3

The installation does not seem to proceed in a normal way.
I am so frustated that i am thinking of changing my mobo to a Linux compatible one(provided if i get the resources from my parents :D)

Any suggestions or advice to improve the situation above is awaited.
Thnx.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^guess your face is quite visible in reflection...lolz. Wear something dude :rolleyes:

Btw did u put something in floppy disk drive ? Try disconnecting it.

OP
thelordrrulzzz

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
@T159
I didn't have my shirt that's why its so very much visible in the reflection...

I have disconnected the floppy disk drive from a long time. The power supply to the floppy isn't connected but still this problem persists.

Flake

Linux User
Hi !

I would suggest you to try Alternate Installation CD of Ubuntu. It has text based installer and it uses minimal display settings. Text based installer is as user friendly as Graphical Installer and you wont face any problem. Its pretty easy to fix Graphics problem after installation.
.iso of Alternate Installation CD is available for download at all Ubuntu Mirrors.

maxudit007

Right off the assembly line
hey dude i have a solution for you.... this problem arises due to nvidia graphic cards... just do one following thing...
if you are installing ubuntu 7.10 then just press F6 and type in the command line
"live-noapic" and then press enter , now u can see that ur ubuntu doesn't create any problem during installation...
if you are installing ubuntu 8.04 then its very easy, just go to options and choose "noapic" option and then install it....

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi
I just saw your post. What happens after snap 3? Looks like some kind of progress bar ========== ?

Also try this
When you get the first screen and select (highlight) install, press F4 and select safe graphics mode and proceed as shown below

*img301.imageshack.us/img301/3593/ubij6.th.png

Last edited:
OP
thelordrrulzzz

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
hey NucleusKore thanks for the help but unfortunately i tried it also but it failed.
But the good news is that I was able to successfully install Fedora 9 provided on the Digit Dual Layer DVD and now i am facing a unique problem..

Since i am new to fedora so i am not able to access the other partitions on my hard disks(both on primary 80Gb and on the 250Gb secondary drives). I found out that these need to be mounted but on doing so for any 1 partition it just didn't work. I guess there must be some command to make the accessing permanent.
Can some one plse help me out with this????
Thnx in advance...

I tried to mount the partition using the mount option on right clicking the icon of that partition..
Plse some one help me out with this. Also can anyone suggest a good reference book or site for Newbies to Fedora.
Thnx..

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
hey NucleusKore thanks for the help but unfortunately i tried it also but it failed.
But the good news is that I was able to successfully install Fedora 9 provided on the Digit Dual Layer DVD and now i am facing a unique problem..

Since i am new to fedora so i am not able to access the other partitions on my hard disks(both on primary 80Gb and on the 250Gb secondary drives). I found out that these need to be mounted but on doing so for any 1 partition it just didn't work. I guess there must be some command to make the accessing permanent.
Can some one plse help me out with this????
Thnx in advance...

I tried to mount the partition using the mount option on right clicking the icon of that partition..
Plse some one help me out with this. Also can anyone suggest a good reference book or site for Newbies to Fedora.
Thnx..

Here you go buddy! Answer to all of your questions:
*www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

Have fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom