Help needed in buying a Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
hi guys

i have a p4 2.8 HT , 915 MB , 512 MB RAM and creative 2.1 speakers. I am interested in buying a Creative Sound Blaster 24 bit 5.1 soundcard / Can you tell me whether i will make much difference to my audio quality. What do you recommend.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I have a SoundMAX AD1980 onboard sound, and its quality is just as good as the SBLive! 24-bit.

Do you already have onboard 5.1/7.1 sound?

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
u hav a 915 mobo so u should hav 7.1 high definition audio on board so u dont need a sound card right now.upgrade to 5.1 or 7.1 speakers nd u will see the diff.
If u really want an upgrade then wait a while nd go for9.1 sound cards which is the next big thing.

q3_abhi

Youngling
On ur 915 Motherboard,U can feel the great difference when u will change ur speakers rather then a sound card. So go for good speakers.

expertno.1

Technomancer
first get good sound card ...i think ur mobo is sufficient in that...

second ...get good speakers like frontech 1200 W and more...consider this months leaflet given by digit magazine on speakers

premrajeev

Journeyman
oh......

FRONTEC ???? AND THEY ARE CONSIDERED GOOD ????

I can bet they are amongest the loosers in the sound reproduction catogery.If u need some good sound,go for creative or altec lansing.
These are not the best, but offer value for money.Rest all are a compromise,when it comes to sound quality.

If u r really on a budjet, then u can consider the sub-quality sets like frontec.but any music/movie/game lover will not mind spending 4 to 5 k for a quality 5.1 set like altec or creative.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
FRONTECH???? Please stay away from Frontech!!! Your best options are Altech Lansing, Logitech, and Creative. Don't go for cheap brands such as Frontech or Intex and the like. You can avoid the sound card right now and invest in good speakers. Get a sound card when new cards based on Creative's X-Fi tech come out.

expertno.1

Technomancer
Nemesis said:
FRONTECH???? Please stay away from Frontech!!! Your best options are Altech Lansing, Logitech, and Creative. Don't go for cheap brands such as Frontech or Intex and the like. You can avoid the sound card right now and invest in good speakers. Get a sound card when new cards based on Creative's X-Fi tech come out.

u guys then dont know or know just the demerits and not the merits of frontech

well i have that frontech 1600 W from last 2 years and working fine till now
now whats bad in this

MAN this also depends how u care for ur speaker..simply telling a brand is worse doesn't fit at all

what wrong in that ?????have u ever used it ????i have it .and working best around now

q3_abhi

Youngling
Frontech??? Try to be away from those speakers.

Very bad performance.

Compared to Altec Lensing, Creative etc.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
@expertno.1: Have you ever compared the sound reproduction quality of Creative, Altec, and Logitech with your supposedly good Frontech? You might be happy with your speakers but that doesn't make them or the brand good.

And yes, I've heard Frontech, Intex and the other cheap brands before and I can positively say that they don't match up to the established brands.

Ask any audiophile and he will never recommend Frontech. I'd rather buy myself a 2.1 set from Altec/Creative/Logitech rather than spend that money on a 5.1 from Frontech.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
frontech, tech-com, intex, Ad-com... they really got no music quality!!
they lag in all the aspects.
before buying a spk set please comsider these..

1. LOW and HIGH freq range
they may state 20Hz-20Khz, but believe me actual test comes when you check them with your ears. on most of the systems, all low frequency notes sound similar. my frnd's (fake)creative spks has more echo than real punch! so be carefull
2. quality loss at high volumes- turn the vol to max and verify if there's any quality loss
3. clarity- esp of high frequency notes.
4. bass, treble, vol controllers-- ease of use
5. Price- while going to market remember that if you're not ready to put some money..dont expect quality!

expertno.1

Technomancer
Nemesis said:
@expertno.1: Have you ever compared the sound reproduction quality of Creative, Altec, and Logitech with your supposedly good Frontech? You might be happy with your speakers but that doesn't make them or the brand good.

And yes, I've heard Frontech, Intex and the other cheap brands before and I can positively say that they don't match up to the established brands.

Ask any audiophile and he will never recommend Frontech. I'd rather buy myself a 2.1 set from Altec/Creative/Logitech rather than spend that money on a 5.1 from Frontech.
NOW can u mention the demerits of frontech ?
whats wrong with those speakers ?
tell me man tell me

rohanbee

Padawan
I totally agree with what nemesis and club-prany have to say. All these brands such as Frontech and intex etc are coming from china, they do not have dedicated manufacturing sites of their own and neither do they have any researc and development. They (actually their chinese vendors) just copy the old technology of the pre-existing cmpanies like creative, kplisch, altec etc...............

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
ok sir, i think as for frontech, tech-com, intex, Ad-com...
1. Lower RMS power rating(even if they claim high rms power) in subwoofer and spks

2. Lower Frequency Response

3. Poor Overall Built quality

u feel the difference when you play a DVD movie or a HD game.

for more info in the topic please read the test results, page114, May 05.
and afterall a nice creative set dont cost a bomb!!

premrajeev

Journeyman
Dear friend,

audio quality does not mean audio power..And in that respect too, frontech and other cousins lag behind.Your frontech 2000w spkrs are in real, less than 20w rms spkrs. and the THD is more,and is not considered good in sound industry. the thing here is u r not able to distinguish what is good and what is better..

Of cours, if frontech spkrs sounds good for u, then a creative or altec lansing would be mind blowing for you !!!

u can feel the differences in sound quality if u compare a creative or altec lansing set with your frontech.

Of course, there are thousands of brands in the case of spkrs,which might sound inferior to frontech. But, always compare your spkrs with industry standard names.

before further arguments,if u conduct a comparison by actually hearing to the above brands ,I am damn sure you will also agree to us.

rohanbee

Padawan
Yes true at lower tones there will be no boom in the base and at peak notes the speakers will start to crack, in good speakers that will not happen till they reach their limits.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I don't think there's anything left for me to say :D

But, the difference is clearly apparent just by listening to audio on Altecs/Creatives/Logitechs and then on Frontechs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom