Help Needed Immediately Linux HELP HELP HELP LINUX SUSE SUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
Help me I have previously used suse 9.1 personal edition and did not find any development tools

so after a week i told my friend to get Suse 9.1 PROFESSIONAL edition and I paid for it. He got me a main first cd containing SUSE (Copied it to a CD)
But I find no difference between the personal and professional! both I found it to be same!

Are the development tools present in other 4 CD's or have i got cheated??????

Also I did not find anything like personal or professional on any readme or in the os HELP ME!

Post HERE ||||

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
In almost all distros, first CD is generally the install CD which can get your system, along with a desktop manager running.... I haven't used suse pro, but its quite possible that devl tools are there in second CD or maybe third... you can't blame your friend unless you have personally checked the contents of other 3 CDs...

btw: which development tools are you talking about ? almost all distros install gcc, perl, python, by default from first CD itself.... glade/qt designer might be on second/third CD...

as for difference between personal and professional versions of distributions go, there's not much difference between them.... since GNOME will be GNOME only, no matter what distro or flavour it is....

Difference mainly lies in minor version number differences, and capabilities of the underlying kernel in personal and professional editions....

Personal editions mainly bundle eye-candy stuffs like media players and diffferent desktop environments... where as professional versions bundle an improved kernel plus lots of services/daemons....

sniper

Broken In
Ohh..so ur GNUrag...ppl are killing me on yahoo...I have keep screeming im ANUrag aka sniper.

humm...lemme check..Wohooo...HUGE list of softwares. i dunno if they are dev tools, they all seem to be softwares to me, on CD2 to CD5. all are like xyz.rpm files. open office etc etc...hey i see perl...no man it does include dev stuff. install it na.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
sniper said:
Ohh..so ur GNUrag...ppl are killing me on yahoo...I have keep screeming im ANUrag aka sniper.

Oh... goodness... so you too are Anurag ? nice meeting you...

sniper

Broken In
cant tell ya man...all files are in .rpm format and they all either seem like softwares or manuals or games, and the list is HUGE about 1200+ in each cd. I dont think there are any kernel source, IM NOT SURE.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
sniper said:
cant tell ya man...all files are in .rpm format and they all either seem like softwares or manuals or games,

Go to RPMS directory on the CD, give this command ( $ ls -l kernel-source*.rpm ) and post its output here

IG

Journeyman
*www.roseindia.net/linux/suse_professional.shtml

do u think i should go in for this?
will it ease my pain or shld i just wait for pcq to get back 2 me??

or should i go in for fedora core 2 as in this
*www.roseindia.net/linux/fedoracore2cds.shtml
if so which ones should i buy?

pls hlp me!! pls pls pls...i wanna get this done with b4 i have to start working :(

sniper

Broken In
GNUrag im using winXP.

IG should i upload the catalogue of the 5 CDs. i hope u have WhereIsIt. that way u could have a look at the cd yourself.

sniper

Broken In
Its downloadable but its not freeware, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it :wink:

WhereIsIt? 3.62 (build 820)
where362.zip, 3561 KB, August 20th 2004, ZIP compressed
Code:
*download1.whereisit-soft.com/where362.zip
*download2.whereisit-soft.com/where362.zip

get other mirrors and plugins and stuff here
Code:
*www.whereisit-soft.com/download.html
*download.pods.lv/WhereIsIt/

This is a must have software to catalogue and manage ur cds.

the catalogue SUSE9.RAR - 73kb
Code:
*www.freewebs.com/andr/Files/SUSE9.RAR

GNUrag, u too have a look if u can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom