HELP!!! My Computer can't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arun Kumar

Broken In
Hey all,

I have Presario 3311AP, AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1.4 GHz, 266 MHz FSB, 128 MB RAM, 40 GB Ultra DMA HDD, 52X CD-ROM Drive. On Start, my computer checks CD-ROM, Floppy Drive and then Hard Drive. From yesterday, it behaves strangly. On start, it checks CD-ROM and stops there giving three beeps. Beeps continues then and Computer don't start. I have to switch off the computer. :( Does I have problem with my CD-ROM or this is a some kind of Virus. Any Help will be highly appreciated. I am not a Computer expert. Please suggest a remedy.

Arun
Delhi

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Hi,

First of all count the number of beeps the computer gives.

Becasue the beep counts have unique reasons for it.

If the monitor is blank then, check whether ur graphics card is plugged in properly or not.

Go to the BIOS and change the boot sequence to 'C only'. Restart and try.

But tell me 'Is the montior blank or what does it exactly display?'

OP
A

Arun Kumar

Broken In
CD-ROM is giving three beeps, first two small and last big one. During beeps LED blinks and then it offs. After few seconds, again process repeats. The Monitor is totally blank displaying nothing. If I have to change sequence of boot from BIOS please tell me how. As monitor is displaying nothing and I am not aware of commands for that.

rajesh

Journeyman
Something is loose in ur system. :wink:

Anyway just take out ur graphics card and RAM out and plug it again properly.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I dont know if this is true but I thought that the beeps were independant of Mothertboard or BIOS or something? This true?

Tech&ME

Banned
exx_2000 said:
I dont know if this is true but I thought that the beeps were independant of Mothertboard or BIOS or something? This true?

No beeps are not independent of mobo or Bios. Ask yourself where does the beeps comes from ?

OP
A

Arun Kumar

Broken In
Ask yourself where does the beeps comes from ?

I think beeps are from CD-ROM. To be precise, after switching on the Computer, the LED of CD-ROM blinks twice and then off. Thereafter, there are three short beeps. After few seconds, the process repeats and I have to switched off the Computer. During this whole process, Monitor displays nothing.

From all the replies so far can I figure out that there is some hardware problem? May be RAM or graphic card.

To recall, if it has some significant, during last three or four months, while playing Cricket 2004, I had received twice or thrice a message that my graphic card has stopped functioning properly and computer hangs with blurred wallpaper and icons on desktop. I had restarted the Computer and it started fine as such I ignored it.

I am not a Computer expert. Will I be comfortable while fitting RAM or Graphic Card properly. I mean to say that what precautions I have to take to do it myself.

Configuration - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1.4 GHz , 266 MHz FSB, 128 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, 40GB Ultra DMA HDD, 52X CD-ROM drive, Integrated S3 Pro Savage with 32 MB Shared Memory Architecture, 3.5 inch, 1.44 MB diskette drive.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
If you are not sure whether you will be able to fit your RAM and G-Card yourselves , then my sincere advice is dont atempt to do it. You may damage the components and in the process voicd your warranty. Call your Computer technician for the same.

OP
A

Arun Kumar

Broken In
Hey Mohit & all,

Thanks a lot for giving time to my problem. Now, my computer is fine. :lol: :lol: :lol: The culprit was loose ram module. Once again, thanks to all. :wink:

abhinav

Journeyman
Well buddy i am late on this topic or else i would have told u before abt this problem.Actually i had the same problem with my old PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom