Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_pant

In the zone
recently.. my windows crashed.....
when i tried to start it said:
c:/WINDOWS/system32/config/SYSTEM is corrupted or is missing.....
then i installed windows again on the same drive but in a different folder...
now i can read every file and stuff..... everything on the hard disk is fine....
but i was thinking if i cud somehow replace those "corrupted files"..... but now is the next big twist...... the config on the new windows is 14MB and the config folder of the previous windows is 96MB... how do i know which file is corrupted?

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
hey..... it says... the c:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM
is corrupted........
and yes... i installed the winxp on the same disk in another folder... it is working fine and smooth but the only prob is.... no sofwares are associated...nothing in all programs.... nothing.... hey can u help me over the "SYSTEM" file(this file fas no extension).....

rajas

In the zone
Go for OS Reinstallation(even repair will not do any gud).

Follow the link provided by aadipa and Restore to a good restore point.(It takes a good time to do).
I have put the same article in a simple version. Might help you.

Caution : This method cannot be used when you are unable to boot into the Recovery console Command promt

Step 1:

1.To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, use the following steps:

* Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

* Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

* When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

* If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note :
It will list the installation path 1.c:\windows... if a dual boot is available is will list all other boot points like.. 2. .... 3...... usually in our case type 1 and hit the <enter> it will boot to the command prompt.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

[/b]Note :[/b]
Usually if it prompts for a password just hit <enter>, it will boot to the command prompt. if it doesnt boot then this method of recovering from a missing or corrupt registry is not possible.

3. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to restore the computer

Step 2:

4.At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

(all command to be typed in command prompt are in BLUE color for clarity of the content, and pressing <Enter> required for executing each command at the recovery Console)

cd \ ( Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" else the command wont work )

cd system~1\_resto~1

dir

Note :

1. when you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like rp1,rp2................ we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. if the restore points have more than one page then u have keep on hitting the <enter> key to view the last restore point folder

2.It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second last one.

cd rp<the last restore point no.> (Note : Example : cd rp8, if rp9 is the last restore point, where last restore point no.=9 )

cd snapshot

now the command Prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot> ( Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content, you have to goto the last restore point folder as described in the previous lines)

Now according to the error message we have to copy the appropriate file from the restore point folder.

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
or
copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

best method is to copy all the registry files as given below (This would reduce the denominator of error):
copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy _registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy _registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy _registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default
(Note : Make sure to type _.default in the above line)

Note :

1. The appropriate command should be used according to the error message aka if the file "system" is corrupted use the first command or if the file "software" is corrupted use the second command line .

2.If it gives an error "Access Denied" while trying to copy, this method will be a futile one, there are chances that it would be possible to boot the computer to safe mode command prompt and then do a system restore.

or try the alternative below :

cd \ <enter>
cd windows\system32\config <enter>
ren system system.bak
exit

now restart the computer and follow step 1 of the article.

either the file will be missing or corrupt , if it gives a message, do you want to replace the current file type y and then hit the <enter>

Exit

Now the system will restart, when the screen goes blank remove the XP cd.

Now computer will boot into Desktop

If it gives any error message, restore the computer to an earlier restore point.
(if tried with RP10, step back to RP9 and start with step 1 )

Now change the boot sequence in the system setup back to the previous settings.

rajas

In the zone
To resolve, "Access Denied" try the alternative below at the command prompt(In Recovery Console):

cd \ <enter>
cd windows\system32\config <enter>
ren system system.bak
exit

Restart the computer and follow step 1 of the article.

Post result once done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom