Right off the assembly line
see i hv 2 machines.let me gv u their configs:
(1st , 2nd)
motherboard: MSI k8mmv , intel 845 gbsr
processor : AMD sempron 2500 , intel P4 2.4GHz
RAM : 256 Mb , 256 Mb
HDD : SATA 80gb , PATA 80gb
Xtras : ASUS DVD Writer , Samsung CD Writer

now, i need to combine these two to get the best combination. i will put the 2 RAMs n the 2 Xtra drives in the final one.:D. but which motherboard n which processor combo will be the best?? Also, will i be able to put these 2 different hdds together in 1 machine to get 160Gb of space?? for ur information, the intel motherboard doesn't hv a sata port. now, if u suggest me to keep that motherboard, then will i be able to get any sata-to-pata convertor n will it be reliable enough to use??? and the usage will be average in every field. i mean from gaming to downloads, office work to movies..Plz help me out.... n lemme tell u, i donno much abt these motherboards also. on which one will i get better audio n visual support or better provisions for upgrade?? plz lemme know the details.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Sempron 2500+ will be better for games. For other uses p4 2.4 will be slightly better.
But the k8mmv mobo seems to have more features like sata nd all.

SO i suggest u to keep the sempron nd mobo nd add everythin else to it.
And u can surelly get 160 G space but maybe 152 usable space.
sata to pata is real trouble nd performance will drop considerably.

A sempron 2500+ with 512 MB ram nd 160 GB HDD space is decent enuf for usual works.

OP
C

CooL EdeN

Sempron 2500+ will be better for games. For other uses p4 2.4 will be slightly better.
But the k8mmv mobo seems to have more features like sata nd all.

SO i suggest u to keep the sempron nd mobo nd add everythin else to it.
And u can surelly get 160 G space but maybe 152 usable space.
sata to pata is real trouble nd performance will drop considerably.

A sempron 2500+ with 512 MB ram nd 160 GB HDD space is decent enuf for usual works.

thnx. thnx a lot. i know that the intel mobo doesn't hv a slot for any graphics card. does the msi board hv it?? n does it gv any better audio n visual support than the intel?? n how will the p4 go with the msi mobo?? can u plz tell...

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
No, p4 can't be used in K8MM board. Sempron can render 3D better with 3D Now instruction set, despite of its lower processor clock speeds than ur P4 2.4.
But the IGP of 845 will be better than s3(most probably) on ur MSI. Semprons renders better if u have a gfx card. MSI will have a slot for it.
SO get a low end AGP card on ur MSI mobo nd use the sempron.
U can go for nvidia 6200 based AGP card for less than 2k nd will do the job for u.

OP
C

CooL EdeN

one more query for u bro. suppose i use ur given combi and use both the hdds. probably i will use the sata hdd (which was originally there with msi mobo) as the master and connect the pata as slave. then will i be able to use the softwares loaded in the pata hdd?? or will i hv to install the softwares again?? (both the hdds hv windows XP loaded in them.)

No, p4 can't be used in K8MM board. Sempron can render 3D better with 3D Now instruction set, despite of its lower processor clock speeds than ur P4 2.4.
But the IGP of 845 will be better than s3(most probably) on ur MSI. Semprons renders better if u have a gfx card. MSI will have a slot for it.
SO get a low end AGP card on ur MSI mobo nd use the sempron.
U can go for nvidia 6200 based AGP card for less than 2k nd will do the job for u.

one more query for u bro. suppose i use ur given combi and use both the hdds. probably i will use the sata hdd (which was originally there with msi mobo) as the master and connect the pata as slave. then will i be able to use the softwares loaded in the pata hdd?? or will i hv to install the softwares again?? (both the hdds hv windows XP loaded in them.)

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Hi, sata drives dun have master/slave thing. Its just sata 1, 2,3,4 etc.
And when u connect a sata nd pata HDD, it shud boot from the sata I think. If it doesn't then connect the sata HDD to the other sata port.

And u can access all the files, but it depends upon the s/w desing that decide whether it shud run w/o proper reinstallation. Smaller s/w which has less OS nd registry integration wud run fine. Some will need reinstallation. Try it dude. Just reinstall those which doesn't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom