Help me with my cabinet cooling fan problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kannan

In the zone
Hi techies,

I have a PC with a Prescott Processor, two hard disks, 2-Optical drives and the temperature inside my system varies depending upon the time. What I mean is, if its night time the temperature is normal and during day time the temperature is high inside the cabinet. I have 2 fans in the cabinet for cooling.

These 2 fans produce lot of noise as I have connected all of them to the SMPS 4 pin plug for maximum speed which in result gives more cooling.

But my problem is that, in the night even though all the fans are top speed the temperature is same, the fan's maximum speed is useful only during day time. Because of the fans running at maximum speed they produce a lot of noise.

My motherboard has a "quite" feature by which it can control or vary the speed of fan. That is if the temperature is high then the motherboard can increase the speed of fan else it can reduce the speed of fan there by decreasing the noise.

But this can be done only with a fan which has both speed monitoring and also its speed can be varied. This type of fan come with a 3-pin plug [Speed,+12,GND].

But these fans are not available in Chennai.

Can anybody suggest where this type of 3-pin fan can be purchased in India?

Antec markets their cabinet fan. But the problem is that their fans take power from the 4-pin plugs and have one pin which sends out the speed of the fan. So there is no way of controlling the speed. So Antec is of no use.

I would like somebody to please give me the address of a shop in India which sells this type of fans. I live in Chennai but please give me the address from anywhere in India.

Thanks,
Kannan.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
have you tried mercy electronics , vadapalani or adyar ? they have most components that arent available elsewhere . regarding increasing/decreasing fan speed , i think you can use tiny regulators to change the speed of the fan . Saw in some case modding site where temperature was displayed in front of the cabinet as well as speed of the fan , plus you had 3 regulators in front to adjust speed of the fan . will try to get the link .

how have you attached the 2 fans in the cab ? normal way is intake in bottom front and outlet at top rear . i actually reduced cab fan noise by fixing plastic washers to the screws used to fix the fans , 2 washers for each screws on either side of the cabinet to reduce noise and vibrations . i even cut out the perferations/holes where u fix the fan and just attach the fan grills you get for Rs 10 or so . gr8ly increases the air flow .

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10257&highlight=washers

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
have you tried mercy electronics , vadapalani or adyar ?

No I haven't tried the mercy electronics.

Do u have the phone number of mercy electronics.

how have you attached the 2 fans in the cab ?

Normal way only. Front Intake and rear exaust.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
dont have mercy electronics number , but its a few blocks away from vadapalani post office . ask anyone one there , famous place . in adyar , its in L.B. Road , b4 the BSNL adyar office .

not sure if its the updated number .

Mercy Electronics 248/2,Arcot Rd,Vadapalani 24832632

*www.chennaibest.com/services/cityr...=Electronics&subcatname=Electronic+Components

i suggest you go directly to their place . mostly they have younger fellows in the shop and its hard to describe components to them , even though they have it somewhere in their shop . they got 3 shops close by in vadapalani itself

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
I will make a phone call to Mercy Electronics.

Hey Klinux, thanks for the address. First I will try to call them with the number 24832632. Then I will go there.

Will post the result here after talking or meeting them.

Anways do u live in Vadapalini?.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
nope , real far away from it , but its the only place to get good electronic and computer supplies .

this might help too , not sure if its there in india .

*www.xoxide.com/fancontrollers.html

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Kannan, if you could get the 3-pin fan from the place suggested by klinux, good. If not, and if you have some experience assembling simple electronic projects, I've designed some very simple circuits with which you can switch the fan speed between high and low. It's a manual type, meaning that you'll have to switch it to 'high' during the day, and to 'low' at night.

I've sent similar designs to some people in the US who asked me for it after I outlined the principle in a newsgroup. These were for 3-wire CPU fans rather than for 2-wire cabinet fans. They'd bought powerful (and loud) CPU fans but didn't really need the full cooling power, so they just want to run them at lower speed and don't even need the high-low switch.

I could design a circuit with automatic operation, but it will be more complex and temperature sensors will have to be mounted at strategic locations.

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
Mercy Electronics doesn't have that type of fan.

Hey Klinux & pimpom can u suggest me some other place or shop?
It would be very helpful if you can ask any shops near by your house.

Hey pimpom Antec has similar fans with temperature sensors which can automatically change the speed. But what I need is a fan whose speed can be adjusted by the Mother board and not by me manually.

Still I am insterested in the electronics. If its ok for you, can you please give me the circtuit designes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom