Help Me (Ubuntu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anvesh

Broken In
Linux is new for me. I don't know more abt it. Recently I've installed ubuntu on my second HDD. I was able to install it but I don't know how to install new software..
Plz tel me how 2 do so and ya another question i have ubuntu,mandriva and fedora core5, which is the most easy to use..

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
gnome desktop (ubuntu, fedora, debian) are quite simple to use.

to install software :-

1.) download the software.

2.) if in debian (.deb) format, in command line :-

Code:
dpkg -i 'name of file'.deb

3.) if in some other format (RPM, tar) :-

convert it to .deb by
Code:
sudo alien 'filename'.'extension'

then execute it by the above method

make sure u are in the same directory where the downloaded file is saved.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@ anvesh do read this guide to know more about ubuntu www.ubuntuguide.org
ANd you can find many useful books on linux for reading at TLDP for free. They are very useful in understanding linux.
All the 3 distros you got are good and easy to use, it just depends on personal preference and sometime it can happen that some hardware of yours might work fine in one but not on others so that's your choice on which one you'd like to use.

@saurabh.sauron You don't go on converting every singe file you find to .deb for installation. It is not considered as a good practise. The best way to install any software is from source and you're recommending to convert a source file to deb? And you should first check if there's a file available for your distro before using a rpm. Alien command will convert the file into deb but still it won't satisfy the needs of youtr system. Every system has a slightly different configuration and organisations. That is why even a deb for debian isn't recommended for use with ubuntu or a rpm of fedora for suse and so on.
Try to get the software optimised for your distro. But the best way is to compile from the source.

B

Brat-Man

Precisely.. Compiling From Source is Much Better..

And Use the Repositories!! They Have all The Much Needed Software Ready to be "apt-get" ed..

Make Sure you Enable Universe and Multiverse Repos. from Synaptic Options..

mehulved

Well for ubuntu there's a easier way to install a few softwares including win32 codecs. Install Automatix by following the directives here *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138405

hermit

Journeyman
thanks but still i have problem plz any one suggest me how to operate

any book , to read plz advice me . if possible plz post link here

mehulved

For starters Ubuntu has setup an online guide at www.ubuntuguide.org. It is good enough to learn about the basics of how to operate ubuntu.
And eventually you will need to work a little bit with command line if you want to exploit the full potential of linux. For that you can either read online documentation at *www.tldp.org/guides.html or get hold of some books on linux system administration, since the basic commands of linux ae the same.

hermit

Journeyman
i figure it out Ubuntu is the best os ever that i have worked , i am able to connect to net , listen to music , burn cds/dvds ....

all thinks in ubuntu .

thanks all of u for helping me out .

hermit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom