Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
OS - Windows XP/Vista

CONFIG -
Intel Dual Core 2 Duo (HT, 2 MB Cache)
1GB or 2GB RAM
200GB or + SATA HDD
DVD-RW
PCIe Graphics Card 256MB (internal, external or however)
17" or 15" will also be OK.

OTHER INFO -
I strictly don't want anything else except them. There should not be any camera or fingerprint security etc. so that I don't pay more than I want. Budget is 40k, may extend to 60k.

gunzz

Broken In
Hello Uday
Check out the post I have made today (in Mobile Monsters forum) for Compaq Presario V6608AU (35-36K - depending on dealers!) and Dell Inspiron 1540 (43K approx - buy from net).

This seems to be the best buys - in an about 40K (check out the other Dell Inspiron/vostro Config if you strictly want sub-40K).

I have done extensive survey, including visits to dealers and hands-on on lappy at the stores and found Dell and Compaq are best VFM. (some would say Acer - but I think the new shell look looked very feminine for my taste!!). HP is a bit over budget - so are decent Lenovos!

Let me know if you found any other models sub 40K which would be VFM!!

- Gunzz

OP
U

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
I've also a general question about laptops, can we change the OS just like we do in the PCs by simply formatting the drive?

Sourabh

Laptoping
Udaya Maurya said:
I've also a general question about laptops, can we change the OS just like we do in the PCs by simply formatting the drive?

Yes.

Regarding your laptop query, go ro www.dell.co.in and configure Inspiron 1520 with Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT. The final config will set you back by approx. 50. You do get an integrated 2MP webcam and it's not optional.

din

Tribal Boy
Sorry, do not know the new lappy configs but IMO, Go for DELL or Thinkpad / Lenevo. Evenif you have to pay some extra $$$ it worth.

talkingcomet

Dragon Reborn
hey pal...
go for a compaq!!
its looks and works better than a dell and you can easily locate service centres for it..
compaq v6000 series will match ur configs..
btw why dont u try amd..???

and abt changing the os.. if u change the pre installed os, make sure u hav all the necessary drivers... its really hard to locate them..

din

Tribal Boy
This is not my experience - three of my friends who bought Compaq had problems, that also within 3-4 months of purchase. I didn't mean all Compaq are bad, nothing like that, but just by hearing all threes experience (different parts of lappy had problems) I felt it is not that good.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
There is already a thread related to laptops and stuff.. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10761

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
din said:
This is not my experience - three of my friends who bought Compaq had problems, that also within 3-4 months of purchase. I didn't mean all Compaq are bad, nothing like that, but just by hearing all threes experience (different parts of lappy had problems) I felt it is not that good.
i have heard it too. 2 of my friends have it, one encountered touchpad problem within 3months another found one Altec Lansing speaker DEAD after 5-6months. :(

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
ashfame said:
any chance of having a lappy with wifi a/b/g & bluetooth
except 4310, rest 2 models have wifi, bluetooth EDR, camera, dolby speakers, 1gb ram,160gb HD etc

din

Tribal Boy
@ashfame

I know your budget may not allow, but if you can wait or if you can manage bit more $$$ somehow, I strongly recommend you to go for Dell / Lenevo instaed of Acer / Compaq. You will never regret on it, guarantee !

ashfame

Padawan
actually my bro needs this budget lappy, i myself cant compromise on performance. So need a decent proccie, 512MB RAM, wifi & bluetooth for lappy. Pl gimme suggestions in detail.

OP
U

Udaya Maurya

Journeyman
Thanks to you all for your suggestions, I've further queries:

Dell is going to launch Precision, must I wait for it? Will it cost above 1lac? B'cus if 4MB Cache, 512MB Graphics Card, etc. are much better than what I'm having I can increase my budget.
I'm also hearing about some Bubble Technology, I want to know more about it.

ashfame

Padawan
Ok, I have decided to go with acer 4310 which has almost all features my bro will need other than a dvd writer. Specs goes here : *www.acer.co.in/products/product_explore_view.asp?pid=63&model=Aspire 4310 Series&cid=5

i wanna upgrade it to a dvd dual layer writer and is wifi g backward compatible on wifi a. or a/b/g just refers to the max speed supported. pl clarify. this all will fit in 25k. all suggestions are welcome. pl reply asap cuz have to buy this on diwali
thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom