Help me pls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayneu

Journeyman
I am going to change my windows to install linux. I am fed up with its stability. Some or the other problem i am facing these days.
So anyone tell me the easiest and the windows like interface with all features of usability comparable to windows in linux ?

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Try Ubuntu. You can get its livecd home delievered for free( shipit.ubuntu.com ). Just boot your computer using this and see if you like it or not.

praka123

left this forum longback
you want windows in Linux?pls read:
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm :)

BTW,if you are into Linux,try some real Linux distros like Ubuntu,Fedora etc NOT these waste distros like xandros,linspire,linux-xp,vixta etc :evil:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I recommend Mint. Its easy to use and it has alot of the goodies in the disk itself so you don't have to go and download it .

OP
mayneu

mayneu

Journeyman
Guys pls come to a conclusion... Everyone is giving their own preference of linux. I am confused. I dont mind whether its real linux or not. All i need is stability and ease of use. It should not be too complicated. This is my condition. Is there any one?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ubuntu here too. Just get the latest 8.04 version of it.

Also, do you mind telling us what "stability" factor are you looking for?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Guys pls come to a conclusion... Everyone is giving their own preference of linux. I am confused. I dont mind whether its real linux or not. All i need is stability and ease of use. It should not be too complicated. This is my condition. Is there any one?

There are 355 Distros of Linux on distrowatch.com . Out of which the small 10% (This might be a gross over/under estimation so please dont nitpick) of folks on this forum who do run Linux use about 10 different distros . Each one chooses a certain distro and will obviously recommend it cause no one is going to install an "unstable" distro. Again Ill start from the beginning.

Ubuntu - Easy to use, large community , you need a internet connection (fast one preferred) . Ill be doing a review of Ubuntu 8.04 Soon once I get my Distro copy from a friend :).
Mint - Easy to use, large community (I think Ubuntu and Debian folks wouldnt mind helping out with Mint here and there), Better Out of Box Support since it comes with stuff you need for multimedia etc.
Sabayon - This thing contains a huge box of software and has a ton of stuff preloaded , a bit more harder to use and upgrading applications seem to be a pita. I wouldn't mind using this if I didnt have an Internet connection.

The others which I have heard are easy are Mandriva , Fedora and OpenSuse?

Choose your own poison now :).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Anyday mandriva over ubuntu if you don't want to touch CLI.
But, very few or no Mandriva users on this forum and a huge bunch of ubuntu users.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
no,offense but...suse literally crawls on average systems :D

Yes, and other Linux OSes are catching up. Tried Ubuntu Hardy? Definitely slower than Gutsy. As for SuSE, yes a 512 MB RAM minimum is required to be comfortable, and one has to reduce the KDE eye candy a little.

praka123

left this forum longback
^well,we whined about vi$ta's huge sys requirements and it seems linux distros are competing with vi$ta :lol:

I am a sane guy,I use Debian,which rockets on 384MB of RAM 8)
edit:add archlinux also.
@Doc:I recommend you archlinux as you seems to love kde :)
there is a modular kde(KDE -bloat) called kdemod which is faster.try it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom