Help me improve my Ubuntu experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Hello Guys,

I am new to the Ubuntu world. I do have time, but not enough to go through all the different guides and Wikis to get the best experience out of my Ubuntu experience.

I would like to take your help in getting the best out of it. I will ask whatever problems i have ask, but also request you to point out stuff by yourself which i should do to enhance Ubuntu.

Lets start with some basic trouble i am facing.

1. I wanted to install Firefox 3 Beta 2. I searched for some guide on the net, there was on with the Sudo codes for terminal. I tried that, but it always gave me the error that file not found. The error was valid, since i do not know where was i supposed to place the installation archive.
Please help me install it. I have the tgz archive.

2. The updates download takes place at a snail's pace. Is there a way i can download them in windows, some kind of repository or package?

3. Except for Beryl, what do you suggest would help me in improving the UI or display enhancements? I do not like the current theme a lot, it has a cartoonish look to it. Any way to change it?

praka123

left this forum longback
I am using Ubuntu gutsy running firefox3beta4preview release
1.get the latest firefox3beta and extract the archive to /usr/local directory.
DONT remove ur firefox which is installed via apt.
now make a shortcut on Desktop or a launcher in panel so that it focusses on /usr/local/firefox/firefox :)

u may need to copy the contents of /usr/lib/firefox/plugins to /usr/local/firefox/plugins//
*www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.0b2&os=linux&lang=en-US
compiz-fusion is what is installed in gutsy;not beryl

Rahim

Married!
You may try to change the server to India in Synaptic>Repositories option.
There was a breakdown in under-water cables , thats why there is slow ineternet connection, maybe this is the problem.
Download Emerald theme manager and compizconfig-settings-manager to decorate yoour desktop and for the themes,wallpapers, head to gnome-looks.org
After installing it open "Advance Desktop Settings" from Preferences and select "Windows Decoration" under Effects and type emerald in "command" option.
Now turn on compizfusion through Preferences>Appearances>Visual Effects Tab and choose "Customs". Thats all.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
1. I wanted to install Firefox 3 Beta 2. I searched for some guide on the net, there was on with the Sudo codes for terminal. I tried that, but it always gave me the error that file not found. The error was valid, since i do not know where was i supposed to place the installation archive.
Please help me install it. I have the tgz archive.

Here try these instructions *www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-firefox-3-beta-2-in-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

I'm assuming that you are using Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

2. The updates download takes place at a snail's pace. Is there a way i can download them in windows, some kind of repository or package?

If you have the server set to the Indian one change it back to the main server or the one in the US / UK . Is it possible that your internet service is lagging as a result to the breakage of the underwater cable?

3. Except for Beryl, what do you suggest would help me in improving the UI or display enhancements? I do not like the current theme a lot, it has a cartoonish look to it. Any way to change it?

Theres quite a few things you could add to improve the UI. Darkstar has a beautiful guide for Gutsy Gibbon especially. Also if you take a look at the the thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20250 you can check out the various screenshots and see the various methods each person has used to change his Desktop appearance. Im sure the person can help you configure your desktop the same/similair way.

Otherwise the simplest method would be following the following steps.
1. Get a good wallpaper
2. Get a good theme for Ubuntu (Metacity ones on gnome-look.org should help)
3. Download an Icon set from the same site.
4. Use gDesklets / Screenlets for the Widget appearance

If you need help in one of the above post here. I have gdesklets and screenlets documented well on my site if you run into trouble for those things.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*tuxenclave.wordpress.com/featured-how-tos-posts/

Check this for my tutorials.. I have posted here too you can search in Open Source sections too :)

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Thanx guys for helping me improve the visual effects. Looks much better now!!

Could not install firefox yet!! The guide posted by exx was not usefull. It was the same guide i had used earlier. It does not say where to keep the downloaded file?

And the method posted by praka also did not work for me, i could not get it!! Aint there any installation package?

1. BTW, i just realized that i am using the 64bit edition. So i think this may be the problem why it was not working. Where can i download the 64 bit version of Firefox?

2. I want to install the latest AMD Dual Core drivers for X2 5600+. How do i install the drivers?

3. I have a Webcam. I dont think ubuntu has recognized it yet. Please help me use it, and that will help me be on ubuntu for much longer!!

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
1. BTW, i just realized that i am using the 64bit edition. So i think this may be the problem why it was not working. Where can i download the 64 bit version of Firefox?

I'm not sure if there is a certain error pertaining to the installation for Firefox 3 Beta which would affect 64 bit installs but AFAIK 32 bit Firefox works fine as well on 64 bit installs of Ubuntu. If I recall right folks do this sometimes due to the lack for a certain plug in he/she might be missing if it isnt available for 64 bit. However don't quote me on this.

2. I want to install the latest AMD Dual Core drivers for X2 5600+. How do i install the drivers?

If I'm correct you don't need one. However there is software available on AMD's site for Linux specific machines. I wouldn't try it unless you absolutely know what you are doing though.

3. I have a Webcam. I dont think ubuntu has recognized it yet. Please help me use it, and that will help me be on ubuntu for much longer!!

Don't have one of those so I have no clue about this , but I can provide you with two interesting links.

*help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam
*ralph.n3rds.net/index.php?/archives/128-ubuntu-webcam.html

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
is anyone wants latest firefox for Ubuntu in Ubuntu 7.10, get it from from this repo
no need to compile from source

Goto Administration>system>Software sources>Third party > add
& add this two lines
Code:
deb *ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/ubuntu gutsy main
deb-src *ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/ubuntu gutsy main

and reload the list

now FF, can be installed via Synaptic:)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

its not needed, as these drivers go directly into the Linux kernel.
check if they latest drivers have been merged into a kernel tree
*kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChange

Still if you want to do it manually(NOT RECOMNDED)
You will have to recompile the kernel
check this ==> *www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

Searching for drivers in linux is a plain Google search :D
just enter model number + driver + linux
you will get a guide if its supported yet.
to confirm, ask on forums
*help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam
*www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom