Help me decide which platform!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg1

On a quest for knowledge!
I'm currently running Intel P4 , 3.2Ghz HT Single core CPU but I was thinking that for the price of upgrading to a dual or even Quad core- I could probably get the equivilent in AMD and the MOBO for it at the same price(roughly) So.... is it worth me sticking with my socket 775 Intel mobo and upgrading just the CPU, or does AMD seem to be the more sensible choice bearing in mind that AM2+ is going to be more popular soon as the "halfway stage" between AM2 and AM3? As far as I'm aware the AM+ CPU's will work on AM2 boards(but with reduced HT) and AM3 CPU's will run on AM2+ boards(same restrictions) so Would it be worth me buying an AM2+ mobo for now and that should keep me able to stay reasonably "FUTUREPROOF" for a few more years to come?
Or ... will Intels SKT 775 be compatable for a long time to come(they already support Quad Core) I just think that the price of Intels are too high against the benefits gained by running AMD!!

Any opinions please would be gratefully considered:)

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Dude Quad core are good if u pick INTEL check the price of Q6600 and Penom 9500, they are the cheapest quad cores around but if u see that Q9xxx from INTEL will be in the market soon and they will be replacing Q6xxx.

INTEL still has the better offering compared to AMD despite of fact that AM2+ can use AM2 motherboards but all these INTEL offerings does support Quad cores and if u need a new motherboard then u can esily go for the Socket 775 motherboard and look for 1333 FSB.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the list of your mobos proc support list :

Intel Celeron D 365
Intel Pentium 4 571
Intel Pentium 4 672
Intel Pentium D 840
Intel Pentium D 960
Intel Pentium Extreme 840
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

so go for q6600 as it is future prof and offer you good value for money with extreme performance

*www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=3313&cat=0&page=

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Man ur motherboard is sick!!!
Why don't every company makes the same motherboard.
It sports everything!

Anyways, it only sports 1066 FSB so as topgear suggested, get a Q6600 (VFM)
or QX6700 if falls in budget!

OP
sg1

sg1

On a quest for knowledge!
Man ur motherboard is sick!!!
Why don't every company makes the same motherboard.
It sports everything!

Anyways, it only sports 1066 FSB so as topgear suggested, get a Q6600 (VFM)
or QX6700 if falls in budget!
yeah it's a very nice Hybrid board.. :) great for people changing from ddr to ddrII and AGP to PCI-E , Yes I think the Q6600 would be a good choice for this mobo . Thanks guys. I guess SKT 775 will be around for a while yet as Intels current architecture:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom