HELP ME! CAN'T CONNECT TO INTERNET!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
I recently installed Fedora Linux Core 1. I configured everything and all installation went as smooth as possible but when I tried to configure to connect to internet I was puzzled :? :? :?
My modem is D-Link Data/Fax/...... Modem and my internet connection is of BSNL. Anybody please tell me how to connect to internet through Fedora.... :)

P.S GNURag.. Can i get your permission to republish this in the General section if I get no positive answers??? :D

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
sujithtom said:
I recently installed Fedora Linux Core 1. I configured everything and all installation went as smooth as possible but when I tried to configure to connect to internet I was puzzled :? :? :?
My modem is D-Link Data/Fax/......
Is it an Internal Modem? I hope its not...

You can try configuring # kppp and select /dev/modem as the modem device... If it is an internal modem, then you have to download drivers for your modem chipset. Search Q & A section, there are many threads which have been replied in the past...

nixcraft

Journeyman
The FIRST step towards finding a Linux driver is identifying the modem's CHIPSET!

How to find CHIPSET under linux?
Use
cat /proc/pci
or
lspci

Next fire google.co.in/linux and search for linux CHIPSET modem driver; download; compilel; install and use the kppp or other .program to configur ISP account.

For more visit www.linmodems.org

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Ah this is what i had posted in Q & A section sometime back... sometime try searching this forum also...
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8258&highlight=internal+modem
-----------------------
Internal Modems are not really true modems, in the sense that they use software instruction set to work... whereas external modems have firmware installed onto the chipset itslelf...

Much more information or driver kits for particular chipsets can be obtained at:

-> Taken From: linmodems.org

* *www.heby.de/ltmodem Lucent/Agere modem resources Manufacturer names of Lucent or Xircom may be displayed by the query "lspci -vv". These may be supported. The Lucent AMR modems are definitely not supported.
* *developer.intel.com/design/modems/support/drivers.htm Intel HaM driver
* *www-124.ibm.com/acpmodem/ IBM's Mwave modem driver for Thinkpad 600E and newer laptops. This is new modem card format, neither ISA or PCI.
* *linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/ Jan's PCTel Resources
* *www.linuxant.com/drivers/ Linuxant offers the latest and greatest general purpose Conexant drivers for Linux.
* *walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/linux111.zip Driver for ESS ISA Modems. Only for earlier 2.2 kernel versions.
* For 3COM/US Robotics Inc. winmodems, drivers were NOT available as of May, 2001.

For more information visit : www.linmodems.org

You can also download and install the soft modem driver form the motorola website
< *www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm >

busyanuj

In the zone
you can also refer to this thread for setting up D-Link modem:
Code:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7084

OP
sujithtom

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I still can't configure my modem. I dectected my system settings are :

System
information redhat
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
on System with processor: i686
supported by kernel: 2.4.221.2115.
nptl
assembled with compiler: 3.2.3
with current System compiler GCC=3.3.2
A /dev/modem symbolic link is not set.
Path to lspci is: /sbin/lspci
lspci
scan PCI_
bus
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82810E DC133
GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub] (rev 03)
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810E DC133
CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801AA IDE (rev 02)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA USB (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801AA SMBus (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
01:05.0 Communication controller: Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp (w/Handset)
Modem (rev 01)
Modem
candidates are at PCI_buses: 01:05.0
Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 01:05.0
with vendorID:
deviceID
:
Class
0780: 127a:1025 Communication controller: Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp
(w/Handset) Modem (rev 01)
SubSystem 127a:1025 Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp (w/Handset) Modem
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
Memory at dc000000 (32bit,
nonprefetchable)
[size=64K]
I/O ports at c000
Internal_test: ./scanModem test 127a:1025 127a:1025 redhat 2.4.221.2115.
nptl 3.3.2 i686

You know it directed me to a website saying it is the only place i can get driver for HCF modem. When I went to the site (www.linuxant.com, i think) they are asking me Rs 750 for the driver. The free version only allows 14.4 KB (Digit site may take hours to load). I can easily buy a Linux modem for Rs. 750 BUT will it be compactible in Windows??? I don't want to dump windows until I am used to linux and it may take more thn one year for it.
Please somebody help me to get a free driver for HCF Rockwell Modem.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
sorry there is no free driver available i too had the same problem and as a final step i bought an external modem. The external modem (serial port type) do not require any drivers and are auto detected and work at full speed so i suggest buy an external modem say dlink and enjoy.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
yes i bought it for Rs 1600/- a few months back its a dlink one earlier i bought a usb based st chipset hp modem but failed to install it.

ujjwal

Padawan
Hey sujith I used the linuxant d rivers a while back ... despite the 14.4 kbps limit I got speeds of 2-3 KBps ... worth a try ...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
hmmmm.... there's nothing you can do it seems.... you can get drivers from your friends or otherwise try out the 14kbps driver... TurboLinux 9 that comes bundled with Compaq PCs have internal modem RPMs included... i dunno for which chipsets it is meant for.... i have a look at it again

Better than the best option, get yourself an external modem....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom