Help in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameed

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I have two operating system in my computer one is window xp sp-2 and other is Ubuntu. Please anybody can tell me how can i see the hard disk in Ubuntu and how can i install yahoo messenger and msn messenger and other applciations and how can i make icon on desktop and how can i use USB flash devices.

Please I have lot of question about Ubuntu I am new in Ubuntu so please help me if somebody knows please dont give me a link for Ubuntu unofficial starter guide it will not help me.

Please anybody knows Ubuntu very well, kindly help me.

thanks,

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Are you running Ubuntu live cd or have you installed Ubuntu?
What do you exactly mean by see hard disk?
You can use gaim to connect to yahoo and msn messengers or you can install yahoo messenger from messenger.yahoo.com and amsn mesenger from amsn.sourceforge.ner
Please take time and read the guide, you can't be spoonfed for everything. Linux is about exploring it yourself and learning.
The guid will answer most of your questions if you read it and implement it.

OP
H

hameed

I mean i want to see the hard disk icon in my computer like window xp and I install Ububtu in my pc thru cd.

Please help me if you can .

thanks

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Why the hell you continue creating threads on same issue.

OK, let's try to solve your questions

1. To view your hard disk files on your computer, just double click the "Computer" Icon on your desktop, or goto "Places" Menu (On top panel) and click computer.

2. Yahoo! Messenger has got a linux version of it's own, but really is not a good software. MSN Messenger has no linux version, but many clones are available like aMSN. But i really suggest you to use gaim, the bundled IM software with your distro. It is a great software, supporting multiple protocols. Simply means that you can use your MSN, Yahoo! and GMail accounts with a single messenger.

3. To make an icon on your desktop, just right click on your desktop and select "Create Launcher". If you're mentioning to create a shortcut of any files, right click that file, select "Make Link" and copy that link to the desktop.

4. for using your usb flash disk, just plugin to your usb port. You'll see a new icon on your desktop. double click to view files. Dont forget to unmount the disk by right clicking the icon and selecting "Eject Disk" before pulling out your disk.

Feel free to ask more questions, and Please don't create new threads for that. continue here itself.

Well, i'll give link to two great places you must visit if you're an Ubuntu starter.
Official Ubuntu FAQ
Unofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide

OP
H

hameed

sorry dont be angry thank you very much and I will vist the site which you provide me thanks a lot.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Let me give you some answers... Of course, the ones given above are also well qualified... ;)

hameed said:
Hi,

I have two operating system in my computer one is window xp sp-2 and other is Ubuntu.

Please anybody can tell me how can i see the hard disk in Ubuntu
hameed said:
I mean i want to see the hard disk icon in my computer like window xp

To do this, right click on the desktop, then point to shortcuts, click on Drive (or something like that) and choose from one of your windows drives which may be found in /media/hdaX where X is 1,2,3...

hameed said:
how can i install yahoo messenger and msn messenger and other applciations

To do this, either install GAIM from Adept Package Manager, or if u want the exact Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger,
Then, try
Yahoo Messenger for Linux/Unix - It really sucks though... And Follow instructions on that page according to Debian...
Alavaro's MSN Messenger - The link is the downloads page. Choose ubuntu from the 32-bit or 64-bit column according to your PC... (if in doubt go for 32-bit) and download the package onto your /home/<username> folder. Then go to terminal (command prompt) and then type
Code:
sudo dpkg -i <packagename>.deb

hameed said:
and how can i make icon on desktop

Same as drive icon, right click on desktop, point to create shortcut, in that, Click "Application" and a page comes which allows you to select the software according to classification such as Internet, etc.

hameed said:
and how can i use USB flash devices.
Ubuntu has a plug-n-play enabled, so just plug in the USB device and it will get detected...

hameed said:
Please I have lot of question about Ubuntu I am new in Ubuntu so please help me if somebody knows please dont give me a link for Ubuntu unofficial starter guide it will not help me.

Please anybody knows Ubuntu very well, kindly help me.

thanks,
We are all here to help, and that is why it is called a "Community"
Also, you CAN use a guide sometimes, as it has many important points like how to install from deb, rpm, tar, etc. explained well... so better refer it as well... ;)
Unofficial Ubuntu Guide

Prav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom