>==>> Help in setting up LAN <<==<

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushkaraj

In the zone
I want to setup LAN wid 3 of my frnds.
1 stays next door.
2 stay in next wing.

I wud prefer a wired network over a wireless one coz i hav heard dat setting up wireless LAN is more costly :( .

Can sum1 explain wat all things r reqd for setting up a wired LAN:?:

THANX IN ADVANCE ;) :)

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
CAT 5 can be streached up to MAX 100m i guess (some may say 150 but speeds will drop...)

so, how far are ur system from each other...

and sure u would need couple of switch i guess to boost the network :p if streached more than 100 m

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
use a 4 port hub + lan cards on each pc + CAT6 cable..
most mobos have lan so u just need a hub..

all easily doable in 500 rs + cable

ruturaj3

Journeyman
Rollercoaster said:
use a 4 port hub + lan cards on each pc + CAT6 cable..
most mobos have lan so u just need a hub..

all easily doable in 500 rs + cable

What is the cost hub ? any particular model

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
an 8 port dlink will cost about 1.1k. u may get the same for abt 700bucks, other brands. but its better to buy an 8port hub considering future expansion. and the thoeretical max length of a cat5 cable is 100m. but believe me speeds suck when its stretched to full 100m. optimal connection wid cat5 cable can only be obtained when it streches max 70m or so.

if u need 100m then as rollercoaster suggested get a higher quality cable like cat6. its a bit more expensive than cat 5 cable.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
I hav heard dat the hub requires power supply. Is this true:?:

Coz then it wud b a bit unfair 2 take the power from a single user's place:(

Please comment..........

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
yes, it would be unfair.. 25 W extra to a single user!!
that is 1/40 of one unit of power!! cmon man! that is quite less!!

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ yea man... the power needed by a hub is tooo less for its cost to be shared...
also if the pcs r too far away then u may need to use lan switches to increase the speed..

Rollercoaster

a hub uses power in the same category as cellphone chargers, cordless phone power supply, walkman adapter, modem power supply etc... not much

and as for speed considerations.. if ur mobo doesnt have a gigabit lan interface the get one .. it is quite cheap ..

between 3 pcs u will get almost 90% performance.. only ur hdd will limit it :)
1 Gbps = 128 MB/sec i.e 1GB transfer per 8 secs at peek performance..
realworld sata 7200 hdd transfer ~ 75MB/s

Last edited:

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
From what i recollect, a Hub doesnt even uses full 10 Watts !!! ;)

BTW, u have laptop or Desktop ?

If u ppl have laps then u all can easily go in for Wireless as almost all laps of recent times have wi-fi built in and its really quite easy n hassle free to set it up !

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
All pcs must have a lan card. Purchase a 4 port hub and tell an comp. engineer to make the cable. U will need long wires which will cost u a huge amount. IF you make it locally it costs around Rs10 per meter of the cable.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
Thank u all for ur suggestions :)

All of us r desktop pcs with having onboard gigabit lan:p so no need fo a lan card;)

I had been to lamington road yesterday and got to know dat a d-link 8-port hub wud cost me 1200rs and cat5 cable comes for around 15rs per metre. I was suggested by the shopkeeper to go for a d-link hub rather than a zebronics one which costs 800 bucks. He said the d-link has a longer life:grin: Any suggestions:idea:

Also i wud like to know dat in case i hav to expand my network in the future, wud it b possible to connect another 8-port hub to the existing one:confused: or is there any other solution:?:

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

i recommend u specifically ask for a gigabit hub.. usual ones are 10mbps and sometimes 100mbps...

and yes u can connect multiple hubs..

there is another option without a hub if some one has a mobo with two lan interfaces.. u can use it as a bridge and connect the other two to it. that has two drawbacks.. the bridge pc will need to be on to allow communication between others and speeds will be slower...

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
Just asking out of curiosity, wats the diff between a normal hub and a gigabit hub. Coz then i wonder dat the cost told to me was dat of a normal hub or a gigabit one:confused:

Rollercoaster

speed!
there are three present speeds available
10Mbps, 100mbps, 1000mbps

all are backward compatible.. so a gigabit interface (i.e 1000Mbits/s) will work as fast as the other link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom