sagar_coolx

Journeyman
i have bought the foll compopnents.
ath. 3200+
asus a8n e mobo
vip ii22 cabby+300w smps
2*512 mb ddr 400 ram
nvidia 6600 128 mb. gfx.

now the components are not connected. and i need nyour help in connecting them as i am not experienced in it.

my first question:
while mounting yhe mobo on the cabinet,do i need to add insulation(i.e. the foam sheet they provide in the box beneath the mobo or anything else???)
because i read the manual,that the underside of mobo should not touch the cabby.
but i see somesmall metal dish under the slot for proccy.s suppose it is for conductig heat. or is it for something else????then addding insulation will interfere it wont it????

i9n my old p.c.,they have added insulation. .but in my new cabinet.the holes for screws are a little raused,while in the old one,they were not.
so do i the foam sheet beneath my mobo?????

OP
sagar_coolx

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
also the board requres 24 pin connecter but the connector on smps is as follows:20 pin+4

*img59.imageshack.us/img59/7484/p10bp.th.jpg
*img96.imageshack.us/img96/1172/p21ge.th.jpg will this work???on my asus a8n-e???

Vyasram

The pWnster
No need for any insulation or foam sheet if u r gonna earth. I hav an a8n e board and i just did what they said in the mobo manual to assemble my system.

Vyasram

The pWnster
i dont think 300w will b enough for this system. Get atleat 350/400 w. I think this ps is not compatible with ur mobo unless u use a 20 to 24 pin converter (not recommended especially for ur system) . By the way , the 4 pin connecter u r talking abt is probably the atx12v connector and must be connected in the 4 pin connector at the top left of the mobo near the ps2 ports.

sagar_coolx said:
also the board requres 24 pin connecter but the connector on smps is as follows:20 pin+4

*img59.imageshack.us/img59/7484/p10bp.th.jpg
*img96.imageshack.us/img96/1172/p21ge.th.jpg will this work???on my asus a8n-e???

Yes.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
1> Don't require the foam during installation of mobo. So remove it before installing.

2> Get atleast a good brand 400W SMPS.

3> The SMPS should have 24pins [the big connector] + 4pins [the small connector which has two yellow and two black wires]. 24+4 pins.

OP
sagar_coolx

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
thanks guyz for ur help. i took the chance and connected the p.s. connector. and voila!my systems up and running. about the p.s.,i also think the same bot whan i asked for a 400 w smps,the dealer quoted around rs 1500/- which my dad thought was expensive. so we decided to try the 300w 1st. now that my systems ronning,is there any way to test the stability w.r.t power????

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Congrats. Good that ur system is running. Which brand SMPS was qouted? Anyhow I would still say that u change ur SMPS and don't take chance.

To check stability I would advice that u run some new games such as NFS:MW,DOOM3 say at high/medium setting (as u have 6600) for an hour or so. Or better still run 3dMARK 2006. As I think these software/games try to take full advantage of system resources, thus stress test ur pc.

This is just an advice, rest ur decision.

My friend also bought a new intel configured system. Which had 24+4 pin power connector option but instead he used the 20+4 pin SMPS. The system runs fine (continuosly for about 1-2 hour) but after shutdown I won't start immediately. He had to wait for about 15 minutes before his system would turn on again. Last week he changed his SMPS and his problem has been solved.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
if u don't want 2 changs smps.as it is out of ur budget.
do not run heavy games for a longer period of time.
with a 300W smps can do things like cd burning,net,music etc. for hrs without any problem.the basic thing is application should not use cpu to its full power.check this in the task manager regularly for sure.

Kniwor

Learner
dont worry about the SMPS...
purchasing a 300W smps is not suggested at all... but if u've got it and it's working fine.... and if 3dmark06 runs fine... them this means that ur SMPS is actually providing 280-300W which is ok... in other terms it should be fine and u should not require another SMPS... but take care for the next time...
there are good SMPS available for 650/- nice once with 2 fans 450W... that will atleast give 350-400W power which is all we require

OP
sagar_coolx

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
3d mark 06 runs fine
view my score:
*service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=14

and oh:the connector in the picture is the 24 pin connector.
i have another 4 pin connector which is the atx 12v conn.
dont know y they provided 20+4 pin connector instead of a single 24 pin one!!!
also,the dealer quoted a vip smps.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagar_coolx said:
3d mark 06 runs fine
view my score:
*service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=14

and oh:the connector in the picture is the 24 pin connector.
i have another 4 pin connector which is the atx 12v conn.
dont know y they provided 20+4 pin connector instead of a single 24 pin one!!!
also,the dealer quoted a vip smps.

What I feel is that ideallyyou should get an SMPS with minimum 400W and 24 pin socket. By the way you can get an idea of the status of your SMPS by measuring the voltages with Asus Probe. The voltages should not vary by more than 5%.

As a thumb rule, heavier the SMPS, the better. In my case, I am having a more or less similar system with a 400W Priya with 20 pin motherboard cable. (It was the best available here then and cost me Rs.1600) It works without any probelm and BTW it is rather very heavy. The voltages are well within limits. On the other hand you can buy flimsy 400W ones costing less than Rs.400/-

Still Iam thinking of buying a better one with 24 pins.

V.Prem Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom