Help in buying AGP graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I have the following PC configuration:

P4 1.5 GHz
Intel original 850GB chipset motherboard. (support for AGP 4x, i suppose)
256 MB RDRAM (all slots full, can't expand)
Riva TNT2 32 MB graphics card

I want to buy a decent AGP graphics card in the range of (3000 - 5500). I usually play strategy and role playing games. But would definately like to be able to run other games like halo2 too.

Any card that can run all games including halo2 at 1024x786 at medium setting at 35-45 FPS will be good enough. I don't want to upgrade my whole system yet.

Which graphics card would suffice my needs. Please help.

Many thanks in advance.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Halo 2 is not out for the PC yet mate. If and when it does come out, a low-end card will not be able to run it. Besides, AGP is fast becoming outdated as all new cards come only in PCI-Ex. Your best chance is an nVidia 5xxx series card or one of the older Radeons.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
From what I have heard lately, a Geforce 6600 Non-GT is available for around 5000/- roughly. And the prices are expected to tumble as soon as the newere cards hit the market this November.

raj14

In Deniel
6600(Not GT) performs really well, since it has 8 Pipelines the only downside of the card is underclocked Memory and Core when compared to 6600GT, nonetheless it gives excellent VFM. and yes, it's priced around Rs.5,000 (add few hundred more)

[lokesh]

Journeyman
@ctrl_alt_del, @raj14
Hmm...thats weird..in chennai the cheapest that i can get for a 6600 non-gt is Rs.6000 from zebronics and Rs.6200 for Leadtek...anybody knows if 6600 non-gt is available for around 5k in Chennai ?

@gamer
I think you can also go in for Geforce 6200 non-TC 128-bit 128mb ddr...it performs well for its rate. Its available for 3.6k in Chennai.

raj14

In Deniel
I was talking about BIG 6600, it sells for 5k, you might want to drop Leadtek and get either a BIG or XFX 6600, both sell cheaper. if you want to buy XFX 6600, then contact Big Byte India's Chennai Branch at:
chennai(AT)bigbyteindia(DOT)com
or you can call them at:
Phone:52060252
Mobile:9841517403
or Directly Visit their Office at:
F2 Rajendra Complex,
13 Narsingpuram Street,
Mount Road - 600 002
:D

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Mods: Should not this query be in the hardware troubleshooting section?

Anyway, someone mentioned about prices falling this november due to the availability of new cards. Well, that is indeed good news. How much is expected to fall, say for a 6600GT or a 6800GT and what are the new video cards to be available, to be precise?

raj14

In Deniel
If you are into nVIDIA cards, then i think new ons are already available, 7800GTX and 7800GT, currently a 6800GT Sells for Rs.26,500 (All India Price, confirmed with Rashi) so i'd say it will go down to around Rs.22,000 since nVIDIA wants to kill off 6800 Series of card and replace them with 7300 series of cards; as for 6600GT which currently sells for Rs.10,500, is expected to reach the Sub 8k Budget. hope this answers your query. :D

raj14

In Deniel
If you wanta good brand, go with either ASUS or XFX since these two are best ons around.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Hi,

I have the following PC configuration:

P4 1.5 GHz
Intel original 850GB chipset motherboard. (support for AGP 4x, i suppose)
256 MB RDRAM (all slots full, can't expand)
Riva TNT2 32 MB graphics card

I want to buy a decent AGP graphics card in the range of (3000 - 5500). I usually play strategy and role playing games. But would definately like to be able to run other games like halo2 too.

Any card that can run all games including halo2 at 1024x786 at medium setting at 35-45 FPS will be good enough. I don't want to upgrade my whole system yet.

Which graphics card would suffice my needs. Please help.

Hmmm.... a 128 MB GeForce 6200 will easily be within ur budget ... ... it should run all dx8.1 based games at very high settings ... but don't expect more than 800*600,medium at newer dx9.0 games. .....

OP
G

gamer

Right off the assembly line
Oops sorry didn't mean halo 2 (it was meant to be halo). I think a 6200 128 MB will be good enough for me. I will also have a look at 6600 (non-GT). Thanks for all your replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom