Help in buying a LCD monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Ok, people, want to buy a 19" and above LCD monitor. My budget is around 15K maybe could strech my budget to 20K at most and this would be my first LCD monitor. So pls suggestion wanted. Will be all purpose monitor...browing, gaming, watching movies etc.
Have found one, SAMSUNG 940BW but waiting for ur replies.
Thanks.

goobimama

 Macboy
When i was going in for a 19 inch monitor, I had decided upon the Samsung 940BW (the widescreen one isn't it?).

soham

In the zone
Since you can stretch your budget to 20k why dont you go for the ViewSonic 20" VA2012W. Its the cheapest 20" monitor out there available for around 18k and provides a resolution of 1680X1050 WXGA. No 19" monitor can do this.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
For 20k....VX2025wm 20'' would be the best buy!..
*www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2025wm/

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Thanks for ur replies. The Viewsonic and Samsung looks to be good choice. The 940BW comes under 15K. Well haven't actually seen any of these monitors, so will first see how they perform and then buy.
So pls tell me the important things to look out for (from ur experience) when I go to a shop and hopefuly see a demo. Also would it be a good upgrade from my existing Samsung 17" CRT (to say....the 19"), more toward Samsung as it has 4ms response time.

Last edited:
S

sariq

only one suggestion dont go for wide screen, it gives shortened look.

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Guyz please confirm to what sariq has mentioned. Will it be a problem for day to day work because my first priority is 3d modelling and animation then gaming and movies.

goobimama

 Macboy
@Sariq: Most of the content that comes in nowadays comes in widescreen format. TV shows, movies, so what's the point in getting something which wastes screen space with huge black bars....?

Also, widescreen is good for keeping two windows side by side, which is not possible in a 4:3 aspect ratio. And the 4:3 does not allow for stacking two windows one over the other.

Your eyes can see wider than they can see taller, that's why shorter and wider is better than tall and narrow.

S

sariq

agreed on keeping two windows side by side. on third point in 4:3 screen, actual working area is wide screen if we leave toolbar/ taskbar/ status bar / titlebar

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
So widescreen or non-widescreen??? Also I am getting 7900gs, will it be sufficient for the 19" (like gaming, movies at native resolution) or should I get 7900gt. I am prefering 7900gs as I can overclock it to 7900gt's speeds also gt's cost more.

pra_2006

A S S E M B L E
i am also looking for 19 inch LCD monitor for gaming and movies but i want to know is there any available with which i can see tv without using my PC ? and should support tata sky

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sariq said:
only one suggestion dont go for wide screen, it gives shortened look.

Well u need to have a demo of this monitor then ensure that the dealer has a graphic card which supports wide screen (custom resolution) most nvidia cards do this.
Without which you will always be seeing that shortned look, bcoz the screen gets squeezed to regular 4:3 ratio. Graphic card is must to get the best results out of any wide screen monitor. 7600GS/GT will also support wide screen.

Instaed of getting viewsonic 1inch higher @ 20K buy samsung at 14500 & invest in a good graphic card.

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm using the dell 24 inch widescreen (1920*1200) on GMA900 onboard graphics (intel 915GAV board). No probs here, even played some high definition content without much stutter. Have not dared to game on it though...

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Guys I am going to buy the monitor in a few days time so suggest........should I go for 20" normal or widescreen. First priority MAYA, 3d MAX then gaming and movies.
Actually going for 20" due to higher resolution than 19" widescreen (my 7950GT should be able to handle it).
Its urgent so please reply.

Here are the price I got"
1) Dell E228WFP..........24500 (22")
2) Dell 2007WFP..........26660 (20")
3) Del 207WFP............21000 (20")
4) Samsung 940BW......15000 (19")
5) Benq FP222W..........25000 (22")

All are widescreen and prices are inclusive of all taxes. There also one more model from Benq FP202W (20")........don't know its price. Was also looking for Viewsonic VX2025wm (20.1") but didnot find one.

premsharma

In the zone
john_the_ultimate said:
more toward Samsung as it has 4ms response time.

Be aware! 4ms is GTG and not BWB which is actual response time. BWB for this model, i think is 8ms.

TFT monitors have been discussed :

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46581
Its urgent so please reply.

Here are the price I got"
1) Dell E228WFP..........24500 (22")
2) Dell 2007WFP..........26660 (20")
3) Del 207WFP............21000 (20")
4) Samsung 940BW......15000 (19")
5) Benq FP222W..........25000 (22")

All are widescreen and prices are inclusive of all taxes. There also one more model from Benq FP202W (20")........don't know its price. Was also looking for Viewsonic VX2025wm (20.1") but didnot find one.

Samsung 940BW is Rs 13800 at Delhi (19"Wide) and Rs 14200 at my place at Agra. Viewsonic VX2025wm is I think 8ms response time.

Response time of this TFT is way too high at 8ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 16ms white-black-white (typ)

No man. Its time for wide sreen. Others will be lost in the race. You will find only wide screens after few years. Wide screen games are also about to come.

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Dont choose Samsung 940BW its a crap monitor with false advertising, I tested with a newly bought comp with XFX 7600GT & the 4ms time is all crap meant to please ignorant people so they can boast about their wide screens. Its response time is far over 18ms black to white & you see flares when you do a Direct X test, so beware advertising is meant to please us not serve our actual need.

I got 2 940BW to test they both showed banding & angle of view is all crap , you move 6 inches from the monitor & u see the color change, This is a false AOV , if it is what it claims then moving 2 feet left right also should not change the colors & the menu is the worst of all the monitors I saw in viewsonic/samsung.

Viewsonic 1912BW passed out my test better & had good menu too the only thing which bothered me was silver (shiny cheap looking) front panel, but it surely worth the price RS 13700/- here in delhi N. Place

I suggest all the members here not to buy these wide screen monitors without actually testing them with your comp & the following softwares.

passmark monitor test (trial works for a month I guess)
www.passmark.com

Dead Pixel Tester
*www.dps.uk.com/freeware_DTP.htm

dead pixel buddy
*www.laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1

Pay Rs 500 more but ensure you test it as in India the dealers dont provide any return policy, once billed to you they wont take it back but send you to Samsung for ALL UR PROBLEMS.

TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST, ur money doesnt grow on tree in ur backyard.

Any fast responce time u see less than 12ms is GTG not BTW so be aware that they had a bottleneck created all these years to achieve faster response times & suddenly overnight they are now offering fastest 2ms LCDs too.

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
There are only two good displays available in India in the 20k range... the VX2025WM for 21k which is a P-MVA panel and the Dell 2007WFP for 26k which is an S-IPS panel. Get either depending on budget. Avoid the rest like plague cos they are TN and total crap. Avoid 22 inchers too cos they are TN as well.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I could not find in delhi nehru place the VX2025WM but have read some good reviews about it, meanwhile I have asked for the return policy from dell, I think I will go for Dell 2007WFP for 26k which is an S-IPS panel.

What does S-IPS panel do, any clue?

Last edited:

premsharma

In the zone
ranjan2001 said:
Viewsonic 1912BW passed out my test better & had good menu too the only thing which bothered me was silver (shiny cheap looking) front panel, but it surely worth the price RS 13700/- here in delhi N. Place

Any fast response time u see less than 12ms is GTG not BTW so be aware that they had a bottleneck created all these years to achieve faster response times & suddenly overnight they are now offering fastest 2ms LCDs too.

What about Viewsonic VG 1921 & VG 1930 both vide models one 1921 without DVI and 1930 with DVI input.

Do you mean only Wide Screen has these problem, and others are OK?????
Please clarify.

This response time business [GTG & BWB], I have shouting from rooftops, that till recently they were not able to reduce beyong 12ms due to limitations and suddenly you so many TFTs claiming to be 2ms even. This is just tricking the customer by GTG in stead of BWB.

After so much of deliberation in another thread, I have suspended my decision of buying TFT for time being, specifically, as Indian vendors will not take the item back, If on buying I demonstrate to them that this contains more than 5-7 dead pixels.

The issue of dead pixels is one more thing to be tested apart from response time. There are details analysis on sites like anadtech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom