Help For Digit Optimized PC Contest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys ...

As u guys already know about the Nvidia-Digit Optimized PC Contest HERE IS LINK.

I am thinking about participating in the contest. Is it worth it ?
Also .. i am not well aware of the various benchmarking standards. In this contest, 2 benchmarking tools wld be used to rate the performance of the participitants i.e. 3DMARK06 and PCMARK05.

So for these two tools, what wld be the best config in the Budget of 22k ?
I have many doubts ....

1. Which Platform to Choose ? AMD has Decent Mobos and Intel has E7200 ? Dnt knw how much will mobo performance affects 3DMARK06 and PCMark 05 scores ?

2. How much RAM and wat frequency? No Idea How RAM affects Scores. AFAIK AMD benefits from Lower Latency and Intel needs more Frequency ?
Which brand to buy? 667 or 800 ? 2 GB or 4 GB ?

3. Which Graphic card ? ATI are more VFM .. but Sponsor is Nvidia:D

4. Which HDD ? which is fastest 160 GB hdd ?

5. Cabinet and PSU ? Low range but shld be enuf for the rest config.

Help me guys ...............share ur gyaan.

Hope no one else is participating xcept me :D:D:p

imgame2

Padawan
spend 22k on a system and send it for a contest ....and god knows what happens to it after the contest ...??? all this hu...ha ..for a prize money for 1 lakh ...??? i guess its never worth...if i had 22k i will buy a HD 4870 or gtx260 many other things ....

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
They will return it the same way .... and then i will use it as my own system ..... no harm in sending for one day if i am already upgrading.

imgame2

Padawan
Participants will be responsible for delivering the PC (excluding monitor, Keyboard and Mouse) to the nearest Digit Office as per addresses given below. | The PC will be returned the same day either to the person who has delivered it or by courier at our cost but we do not take ownership of any risk. | The organizer will not be responsible for any damage that may occur while transporting the system back to the contestant. | All PCs received after September 15, 2008 will be disqualified. | Winners will be announced in the Digit magazine and through personal correspondence by first week of October 2008. | Digit / NVIDIA will have the right to reject any entry without assigning any reason whatsoever. | The contest is not open to NVIDIA employees, Digit employees and their families. | This contest is being organized for and behalf of NVIDIA. | All disputes shall be subject to Bangalore jurisdiction. | The organizer will not be responsible for any damage that may occur while testing the system. |

1).you are responsible for sending the system ..not they...so if anything happens during transit its ur responsibility,not theirs.
2).they don't take the ownership risk ...now what the hell does that mean ...??
3).The organizer will not be responsible for any damage that may occur while transporting the system back to contestant ....so if anything happens due to their lack of their responsibility ...while sending back ...u have lost some part of 22k or whole of it.
4)the organizer will not be responsible for any damage that may occur while testing the system .... so if they stress hard on ur system and hard disk develops bad sectors,or if a already overclocked system burns out due to the stress they put ....its ur responsibility ...
not theirs ...

digit people can't even send a replacement DVD,to right address or they never bother to send any DVD at all ....do u trust them to send back ur system as u send it ...what insurance do u have .....???

i find it troubling buying anything from online shops ...cos most of the time shipping is not upto the mark ....

personally i m not that rich that i spend 22k and give it in other people hands right after purchasing ....if u can do that please be my guest !!

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
all ur points are valid dear ....but think like this...
their test center is at nehru place itself from where i will be buying my pc anyway. so i can manually take the system there and can collect it also.

And No overclocking is allowed in the contest.

And hard disk with bad sectors is eligible for RMA ...it will be replaced by the vendor.

Any risk that i left uncovered ? plz point it out, it will be of great help.

imgame2

Padawan
where does it say over clocking is not allowed ???

well u see its not about buying a system and just it to them it should be optimized for better system performance ...it should be optimized for faster response in games and other benchmarks ....so ur operating system should also be optimized ....in many ways ...cos had it been a just assembling competition anyone would have won it ! so u will have to take it home tweak it and then take it to them ....

so if u so much time and energy to go look for RMA for hard disk when someone else damaged it ....and many more things like that ....please go ahead and best of luck !

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
Its not like that dear ...

Click here to read more.

Optimized Pc means choice of best performance parts in limited budget. We only have to install Windows XP SP2 ..thts it. They will test ONLY USING 3DMARK06 and PCMARK05.

thats it. these scores well decide the winner.

And for the free time thing ...i am a part time system assembler myself. so its normal for me to visit nehruplace every few days. it will be no problem watsoever for me in replacing any damaged goods (low possibility ... these are digit people ... not some noobs experimenting on other's money.).

And it is an assembling contest ...and i agree anyone can win (kya yaar ...koi to jeetega hi......y not me then ? )

And not many people will participate ... so a good chance to win i think :D:D.

imgame2

Padawan
Its not like that dear ...

Click here to read more.

Optimized Pc means choice of best performance parts in limited budget. We only have to install Windows XP SP2 ..thts it. They will test ONLY USING 3DMARK06 and PCMARK05.

thats it. these scores well decide the winner.

And for the free time thing ...i am a part time system assembler myself. so its normal for me to visit nehruplace every few days. it will be no problem watsoever for me in replacing any damaged goods (low possibility ... these are digit people ... not some noobs experimenting on other's money.).

And it is an assembling contest ...and i agree anyone can win (kya yaar ...koi to jeetega hi......y not me then ? )

And not many people will participate ... so a good chance to win i think :D:D.

u better read that again urself and read what u are saying .....it means if i buy something under 22k ...1000 others can also buy same config at same price ...so u are wrong that its about parts ...its about tweaking ur overall system ....including windows xpsp2 ...and mobo/graphics card bios or other option .......

let me tell u for example if u go for MSI p45 neo F+E8400+GF9800gt+hdd +RAM ...why can't other's go for it infact many will go for it ...there are just limited number of permutations and combinations...so its about tweaking ur overall system ..from ur OS to bios...to maximize ur performance.

digit people are what...god ...??they can't do anything wrong ???

i don't find this topic even worth discussing....

anyways ...u should go ahead with it ..the way u understand it good ...best of luck !!

forever

filth is me
Agar maan bhee len uska config puts out the best score. Wouldn't NVIDIA be advertising an ATI card then.

imgame2

Padawan
Agar maan bhee len uska config puts out the best score. Wouldn't NVIDIA be advertising an ATI card then.

^^ +10 u have got a point there .....and good one too

so the best card u get from nvidia below 22k should be 9800gt ...some pre -overclocked model ?? or even that is not allowed ??

Last edited:

aytus

The Boss
ill tell you whats the winning pc gonna be.. it would be a E2180 .. for the processor.. some cheapo mobo and 2GB dual ram, and the best graphic card of nvidia that (left of) money can buy.

9800 GTX anyone??

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
E7200
Asus P5KPL-VM
2GB DDR2 RAM
NV 9800GT
LG DVD-RW
80GB SATA II
Full ATX Chassis+ generic 400/450W PSU

If possible try to squeeze in a better PSU.
Thats all that i can think of that i decent enough.

ill tell you whats the winning pc gonna be.. it would be a E2180 .. for the processor.. some cheapo mobo and 2GB dual ram, and the best graphic card of nvidia that (left of) money can buy.

9800 GTX anyone??

I dont think it will get good scores ;) Only a powerful GPu doesnt suffice

Anyways the idea of the competition or contest is nice but there are some flaws in the rules.

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
E7200
Asus P5KPL-VM
2GB DDR2 RAM
NV 9800GT
LG DVD-RW
80GB SATA II
Full ATX Chassis+ generic 400/450W PSU

If possible try to squeeze in a better PSU.
Thats all that i can think of that i decent enough.

I dont think it will get good scores ;) Only a powerful GPu doesnt suffice

Anyways the idea of the competition or contest is nice but there are some flaws in the rules.

^^+1

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
thnk u guys ........
i agree with Forever ....no ATI card can win this contest.

@ darklord...
i was looking for u only ... u r the benchmarking king here AFAIK...
i have a few doubts ...plz dnt mind haan....
ur config is like this ..

E7200 - 5475
Asus P5KPL-VM - 2750 (is it good enuf? wont PCMARK etc depend on good mobo too?? y not P5kPL CM ? same price but 1600 FSB)
2GB DDR2 RAM - 1800-2500 (which brand and frequency for good score? )
NV 9800GT - 7500
LG DVD-RW - 1050
80GB SATA II - 1600 (which model ? wont it bottleneck PCMARK HDD test?
Full ATX Chassis+ generic 400/450W PSU - 1200

it becomes total 21375 (with RAM @ 1800) with zebby 450 w SMPS ... will it be enuf for this config ...looking at 9800 GT ..doesnt it need extra PCI ex power connector ?

bump :(:(:(

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Sorry for the late replies, net at home is not working.

Asus P5KPL-VM - 2750 (is it good enuf? wont PCMARK etc depend on good mobo too?? y not P5kPL CM ? same price but 1600 FSB)----> OC is not allowed IIRC hence it doesnt make sense to get an expensive board.

2GB DDR2 RAM - 1800-2500 (which brand and frequency for good score? )----> Anything is fine, as long it is DDR2 800 and can do 4-4-4-12 timings, you are set.

80GB SATA II - 1600 (which model ? wont it bottleneck PCMARK HDD test?----> All new generation HDDs are pretty fast so it should be ok if you go with seagate ,hitachi or WD.

I think the PSU should be able to pull it off.Once the PC is back from the Digit Lab, get yourself a Corsair VX450 PSU as its a much better PSU but unfortunately it cant be squeezed in this budget.

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
thnx a lot bro.
Is this a good config for home use ? I mean after the contest i will be using it for my personal use na.

is it a worthy upgrade with respect to my current rig i.e.
AMD 4200+
ASUS M2NPV VM
zebby 8600 GT
2 x 1 GB 667 (corsair + transcend) ?

I am getting 10k for my present CPU without the 8600 GT (will sell it seperately.) is it worthy enuf to upgrade to this config now ? Mind it that i wont be upgrading it if it is not for the contest.
Is this board good enuf for overclocking after the contest ? how can i reach with this board at stock cooling ?

insider99

Right off the assembly line
Hey harry neo potter,

A few tips;

First things first, I tried participating the last time some 3 yrs back, even though my scores were the best at bangalore center.....they simply didnt choose me. I am not participating this time and wasting my money since they never published the results of the PC's submitted. I simply don't trust their way of benchmarking and they lack transparency.

I have tried using a XFX 9600Gt on a zebronics/ Generic 400W PSU.........it simply crashes a lot on full load and intensive gaming. I thought the problem was with XFX and changed to MSI 9800GT putting in more money, the same prob started again. I finally changed to Antec and it works fine now. I would recommend a 9600GT overclocked edition (wud match 9800GT almost) so that u can bring the price down and invest the rest on a good Antec PSU. I think even 8800GT wud be cheaper while it wud beat 9600GT. You simply need to think different. Think what others wont try and u might win.

It would really suck if you send the PC with a generic PSU with a high end card which might crash in between the stress test/ bench marks. It wud boot but wont last the benchmarks. I dont see any point in sending an unstable system meant to be benchmarked.

I also believe that both the motherboard and graphics card from nvidia would win, better chuck the intel motherboard. Nvidia is on the verge of a corporate war with Intel and this might seriously influence their decision even though if u get a lower score on an nvidia based board. These guys wud want to show of a system to the media with nvidia board and graphics as the most optimised system. you need to think in their point of view and not just performance. Maybe thats why i lost last time with the best scores and not the best for corporate marketing!

Finally i dont think its a worthy upgrade to your current rig, you would get almost the same frame rates with a overclock. 8600GT wud last you another 6 months.

I wish that you participate and win....... best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom