help! 865GBF MB dosn't give beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
:?: HELP!
i hv a intel 865GBF MB with on board speaker, the MB also Hv a green LED
now my MB dos'nt give a Single BEEP after completing the POST. but sytem boots perfectly and performs perfect. pls help me why it is not givin beep and for what the Green LED is for

abhas

demoninside

In the zone
it might be ur board speaker not working properly,
so try to connect to cabinet if possible
or just restart it 5 to 6 times if it still don`t beep the prob in speaker
(restart not shutdown)

sailendra

Journeyman
@abhasbajpai
Looks like it got something to do with your Motherboard and RAM combination. Check out the link below, the fellow has similar problem:

*www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20942441.html

OP
abhasbajpai

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
dude!!!
thats paid site
now wehere i could find the answer to problem
& my system is workin fine other than the beep
& want to know that what is for that green LED on MB

sailendra

Journeyman
@abhasbajpai

You can register as an expert and that doesn't require you pay anything. Once you are looged in access the link.
In case you face problems, here is the content of that link i gave above:

Solution Title: Intel Motherboard Guru Needed ASAP
asked by valekhawke on 04/03/2004 09:40PM IST
This solution was worth 500 Points and received a grade of A

I got a couple of questions. I ordered the D865GBFL (Or at least thought I did from Newegg, but the board says 865GBF/865PERC and Intel doesn't even list an 865GBFL on their site). Here is my configuration: I am running an Intel P4 1.6 400FSB Processor. I have 1 512MB Stick of Kingston DDR333 in DIMM 0 On Channel A (Closest to the Processor). The processor is a known good. Can't say that about the RAM. I Have two HDD's on the Primary IDE set as Master and Slave and A DVD ROM and CDRW on IDE 2 Set as Master and Slave. The Board was an OEM board so I got no manual for it, just an insert. I can find nowhere to connect the front speaker to hear any POST beeps and when I power the system up I get nothing. Fans spin up...CPU and Rear Chassis, HDD and Power Lights illuminate but I get no video signal to the monitor. Since I have no speaker I can't even begin to try to troubleshoot the problem.

So, I need someone to help me figure out where the front speaker connects to so I can troubleshoot why this board is not posting, Or do the post beeps come from the rear audio connectors? Is this board strictly dual channel? Do I have to have another stick of RAM in the B Channel slot 0? bigguy44 said he has used Intel boards for 2 years and they are rock solid. If this is my first experience I don't think I will be using them.

Does someone have a pdf of a manual for this board they can e-mail me or a link to d/l one? I couldn't even find one on Intel's site to d/l and their support leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment from Snowguy
Date: 04/03/2004 10:39PM IST
Comment

Look here.
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/C3263401.pdf
Page 140
The speaker is mounted on the mother board.
Make sure the power supply is set for the corect voltage.
Or try a known working unit also you may want to strip it down to the minimum hardware to POST.

Comment from Snowguy
Date: 04/03/2004 10:48PM IST
Comment

If that is not the correct document try this one.
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/rc/C3263901.pdf
Page 128.
The speaker is mounted on the mother board.

Comment from valekhawke
Date: 04/03/2004 11:12PM IST
Author Comment

Well, if that being the case I get no beeps whatsoever.

Comment from valekhawke
Date: 04/03/2004 11:13PM IST
Author Comment

By the way, forgive me for being rude...thank you for the links snowguy.

Accepted Answer from Snowguy
Date: 04/03/2004 11:29PM IST
Grade: A
Accepted Answer

I did not thin you were rude. :)
Any how no post could be from a bad power supply cpu or ram.
The fact that you get no beep error I would look at the PSU and CPU.

This is how I check a no post pc with out bios beeps. Remove All unnecessary hardware. But Cpu RAM and video card. Verify power supply is working (very important step).

The fans and drives run on 12v. The power supply has 3 voltages 12v 5v and 3.3v. If you loose the 5v or 3.3v it can still act as if it is powering up. What happens is you don't get power to ram vga or cpu. this is why when the PSU dies or is weak you usually don't get any post warning beeps or video.

Verify System speaker is properly attached (this should not be a problem as it is on the MB)
If no go and no beeps replace cpu with a known to work cpu or test on known working system
If no go and no beeps replace motherboard.
By now you should get POST or a warning beep of some type.
Be it ram or video.

Comment from valekhawke
Date: 04/04/2004 12:12AM IST
Author Comment

Okay, I need a moderators help here. Thanks to Snowguy providing me with a link to d/l the manual for the motherboard, I have - I believe I have solved the problem. I was using a stick of PC2700 DDR and according to the manual, if I am using a 400 FSB processor - which I am - then it says I can only use PC2100 / DDR266. So that would probably explain why I was getting nothing (However I still think I should have gotten some kind of BIOS Beep Code). My quandry is that while Snowguy did not directly answer my question or solve my problem, he enabled me to find the answer myself which means I solved the problem myself. You see where this is going? Which answer should I accept and should I give him all the points (which I don't mind at all)?

Comment from Snowguy
Date: 04/04/2004 01:10AM IST
Comment

You may want to leave the Q open intel you know for sure it is the PC2700 DDR causing the problem. Other Experts may have some other ideas
If you remove the ram do you get a beep error?

As for getting a refund or whatever you decide you will need to ask a 0 point Q in Community Support for help on this.
*www.experts-exchange.com/Community_Support/

What's the right grade to give?
*www.experts-exchange.com/Community_Support/help.jsp#hi73

Comment from Callandor
Date: 04/04/2004 01:43AM IST
Comment

*www.crucial.com/store/listparts.as...rds&mfr=Intel&cat=RAM&model=D865GBF&submit=Go

lists PC2700 RAM as being compatible with an Intel D865GBF motherboard. I also strongly doubt the general premise that putting faster-rated RAM in a motherboard will not work, because I use PC4000 RAM in one of my systems that is rated for PC3200.

Since these parts are new, how do you know if either works at all to begin with? DOA is still a phenomenon observed in the electronics industry.

Comment from valekhawke
Date: 04/04/2004 04:52AM IST
Author Comment

You are absolutely right Callandor, it does support PC2700 DDR - For 533 and 800 FSB Speeds, only PC2100 for 400FSB Speeds. Here is the copy/paste from the manual that Snowguy posted in his first reply to me. Page 22...

Table 5. Supported System Bus Frequency and Memory Speed Combinations
To use this type of DIMM… The processor's system bus frequency must be…
DDR400 800 MHz
DDR333 (Note) 800 or 533 MHz
DDR266 800, 533, or 400 MHz
Note: When using an 800 MHz system bus frequency processor, DDR333 memory is clocked at 320 MHz. This
minimizes system latencies to optimize system throughput.

I think I will follow Snowguy's suggestion though and leave the Q open until I get the correct RAM installed and see if that indeed is my culprit.

Thanks so much for all the input everyone.

Comment from valekhawke
Date: 04/24/2004 04:34AM IST
Author Comment

Okay, I am going to award the points to Snowguy. After I was able to obtain a known good stick of RAM I still got no POST Beep. Leaving only the processor and Power Supply. I put the processor in another board with the same power supply and the system POSTED immediately. I have RMA'd the motherboard and am waiting for the refund now. I'll stick with Asus boards. Bottom Line is it was the board that was dead from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom