[HELP] 2 Queries Regarding PayPal Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys

I need some help as I'm really confused atm. I have a PayPal account since a long time but its not verified cause I don't have Credit Card. My city comes under blacklisted and no bank provides credit cards.

I have a debit card with Visa logo but PayPal doesnt accept it.

Now my queries are as following:

1. Is credit card only needed to verify the account or is it need in future transactions as well? I mean, suppose I use a friend or relative credit card to verify the PayPal account, will there be any problem to him? I'll basically use the PayPal account to take money from others not to send money anywhere.

2. I have heard about virtual credit cards in this forum. Are they legal? Many members don't suggest to use them. Is their any risk in using them?

I'll be very thankful if someone can clear my doubts and help me. :)

adi007

Youngling
1.Credit card should be under the same name as paypal registered name
SO it is impossible to use others CC
and moreover paypal often will cross check and ask for CC statement to be faxed to them
2.You heard right
VCC is not recommended...
It is stated as illegal ... but if u have yours online bank account which gives the option to generate VCC then u are good to go :)
I have heard HDFC,Axis bank provides such facility

BUT i have also heard that recently these can't be used to verify paypal so i am not sure

If one is caught using VCC generated by other's then i have heard that paypal will permanently lock the account

NucleusKore

TheSaint
^+1 @ adi007
Now if your town is blacklisted (for whatever reason, hearing about it first time!!), why don't you open a bank account in another town and get yourself a credit card. Or simply go to *www.citibank.co.in and apply. I got my first credit card from them in the year 2000. At the time I was a house surgeon earning a princely sum of Rs. 1500 (yes one thousand five hundred ONLY). My credit limit was Rs. 12000.

*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/38large.png

din

Tribal Boy
My city comes under blacklisted and no bank provides credit cards.

Yes, heard of this. Mattancherry near Cochin (Kerala State) is an example. Basically the companies analyze the area and decide based on many factors - like what the majority there do (their life style, profession and all) etc.

I have a debit card with Visa logo but PayPal doesnt accept it.

Unfortunately Paypal does not accept any Debit cards (Indian).

1. Is credit card only needed to verify the account or is it need in future transactions as well? I mean, suppose I use a friend or relative credit card to verify the PayPal account, will there be any problem to him? I'll basically use the PayPal account to take money from others not to send money anywhere.

Credit card is for verification purpose only. Basically they verify your physical existence. As credit card are issued only after a detailed verification process, by attaching the credit card, Paypal makes sure your address and other details are correct.

However, using your friends credit card is not recommended. The name / address etc will not be same. The last name and address that you provide in Paypal account (profile) should be exactly same as that of Credit card statements. Else it will be rejected.

2. I have heard about virtual credit cards in this forum. Are they legal? Many members don't suggest to use them. Is their any risk in using them?

Yes, most does not recommend virtual credit cards. The banks issue them (example : HDFC) claims it is perfectly legal. The reason why it is not recommended is - the virtual credit cards expiry date is short (like the details expires within days, you have to use it within 1-2 days of creation and second - expiry date shown in those cards will be like 2 or 3 months from the date of creation. So if some dispute come, you will not get a chance to prove the credit card belongs to you. I mean no statement and no other records. Other than that it is alright to use virtual Credit cards.
I'll be very thankful if someone can clear my doubts and help me. :)

Helping Vishal is the biggest honor anyone get in this forum and we would love to do the same :D

I have heard HDFC,Axis bank provides such facility

BUT i have also heard that recently these can't be used to verify paypal so i am not sure

HDFC Virtual Credit cards were not working for few months (something at HDFC bank's end) but they fixed it and they can be used to verify Paypal accounts now (I personally verified this and it is working fine now).

My Paypal account (I think it was created in 2003 / 2004) is attached to a real / physical credit card but my wife's - Virtual Credit card (that of HDFC). Both are working fine. No problems related to Credit cards in Paypal - at least so far !

Now if your town is blacklisted (for whatever reason, hearing about it first time!!), why don't you open a bank account in another town and get yourself a credit card. Or simply go to *www.citibank.co.in and apply. I got my first credit card from them in the year 2000. At the time I was a house surgeon earning a princely sum of Rs. 1500 (yes one thousand five hundred ONLY). My credit limit was Rs. 12000.

Yes, that is a good option. If you have proof that you are working in a city (different than your blacklisted place) or having a business, there is more chance.

Another thing is, Software is a risky field according to all Credit card companies !! Do not attack me lol, I know it is very easy to get Credit cards if you are working in a big software firm. I meant, if you are into freelancing or a small firm it will not be easy. But that is just one factor, if all other factors favors you, then definitely you will get one. On the other hand, Medical profession is a 'less risky' one according to them.

Footnote : If no other options are left for getting a Credit card (attaching a physical Credit card is always recommended) and if you have HDFC / ICICI / Axis bank account, I think making Virtual Credit card out of your own account is the next best option (Personally I will not suggest you to use your friend's Credit card). After that attach your bank account (Even SBI will do), and once someone pay you, accept it, and transfer it to SBI immediately. May take only 2 or 3 days (again from my wife's experience).

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
What if you open a Paypal account in the name of person holding a credit card and use that card for verification purpose?
I think this can wok

so you need a trusted friend,family member holding a credit card;)

din

Tribal Boy
@gary4gar

That will work 100%. I was just listing the best ways. And personally I do not recommend it.

BTW, Vishal, your Dad has a Credit card ? If he is ok with you giving the Credit card info in Paypal website, you can use your name, address etc and can use his Credit card info (it will work ok as last name match will be there).

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
What if you open a Paypal account in the name of person holding a credit card and use that card for verification purpose?
I think this can wok

Actually all you need is your friend's credit card number, and the statement at the end of the month :D

I'm just kidding btw. If you do get your friend to allow for verification, make sure he doesn't stay at the tip of Kanyakumari. Cause most seller's, especially on eBay, will ship only to verified addresses, that is, the one associated with the Credit Card.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Actually all you need is your friend's credit card number, and the statement at the end of the month :D

I'm just kidding btw. If you do get your friend to allow for verification, make sure he doesn't stay at the tip of Kanyakumari. Cause most seller's, especially on eBay, will ship only to verified addresses, that is, the one associated with the Credit Card.
Well, that not a issue at all!
My friend stays in same city, so it does not matter if the ebay ships to that address.
i can go and pick it up;)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I think this can wok

@gary4gar

That will work 100%. I was just listing the best ways. And personally I do not recommend it.

BTW, Vishal, your Dad has a Credit card ? If he is ok with you giving the Credit card info in Paypal website, you can use your name, address etc and can use his Credit card info (it will work ok as last name match will be there).

NO, not advisable. Depending on the amounts involved that person will have Income Tax problems, especially if foreign currency is involved.

din

Tribal Boy
@NucleusKore

I meant using his own name, address etc in Paypal, but using his Dad's card only for verification. So all accounts will be in his name, and his Dad need not pay tax for that isn't it ? Credit card is attached only once, they deduct < $2 from that too, then it is all done. So not much issues related to IT for his Dad isn't it ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. :)

simply go to *www.citibank.co.in and apply. I got my first credit card from them in the year 2000. At the time I was a house surgeon earning a princely sum of Rs. 1500 (yes one thousand five hundred ONLY). My credit limit was Rs. 12000.
Is it necessary to have an account in Citibank to apply for this online credit card? I don't have any account in Citibank.

Also which credit card option should I choose from drop-down menu? There are lots of options available.

Credit card is for verification purpose only. Basically they verify your physical existence. As credit card are issued only after a detailed verification process, by attaching the credit card, Paypal makes sure your address and other details are correct.

Footnote : If no other options are left for getting a Credit card (attaching a physical Credit card is always recommended) and if you have HDFC / ICICI / Axis bank account, I think making Virtual Credit card out of your own account is the next best option (Personally I will not suggest you to use your friend's Credit card). After that attach your bank account (Even SBI will do), and once someone pay you, accept it, and transfer it to SBI immediately. May take only 2 or 3 days (again from my wife's experience).
So Credit card is only needed for verification purpose. That means only once. So once we verify the account successfully, we'll no longer need it? I mean do they verify it time to time? If I use VCC and verify the account, will I need to renew it every 2-3 months for Paypal?

din

Tribal Boy
Is it necessary to have an account in Citibank to apply for this online credit card? I don't have any account in Citibank.

No, bank account is absolutely not necessary for getting a Credit card. But most banks give Credit cards to their (good) customers with less formalities (as the Bank know the customers for long, I mean for account holders who maintain a good relation - in terms of business - with the Bank. Example : HDFC Bank). Plus having an account with any bank and maintaining it good will always helps. The Credit card people has some way to verify it.

Also which credit card option should I choose from drop-down menu? There are lots of options available.

Little confused. Which site you meant ? Any credit card/ Bank website or Paypal website ?

So Credit card is only needed for verification purpose. That means only once. So once we verify the account successfully, we'll no longer need it? I mean do they verify it time to time? If I use VCC and verify the account, will I need to renew it every 2-3 months for Paypal?

Exactly. Credit cards need to be attached only once. And they are used for verification purpose only. The virtual Credit cards you attach will expire within months, but it is not necessary you renew it (If I remember correctly, Paypal was asking users to renew the same 2-3 years back, but not now)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Thanks. I was talking about the online Citibank credit card which NucleusKore mentioned:

*www.citibank.co.in/

When we click on Apply Now link, the first step asks to choose a credit card type and I'm confused which one should I select?

So I don't have an account in Citibank, can I apply for this online credit card? What other things will I need to get this credit card?

din

Tribal Boy
@Vishal Gupta

The card type depends - your requirement, eligibility etc. For example, HDFC gives Platinum(or it was Titanium ? old people forget things very fast :( ) card to the best customers.

I think Citi bank website will have a detailed section of all card types, something regarding eligibility etc.

Also, please note that (you might be knowing it already) applying it online is just step1, they will verify everything, will come there in person and lot of other formalities. So it will take some time too.

No, as I mentioned before you need not have an account with Citi bank to get a Citi bank Credit card.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I tried to check the card details and its really confusing. :(

@NucleusKore
Which card type did you select? Can you pls suggest me which one should I choose?

din

Tribal Boy
@Vishal Gupta

Mine is not Citi Bank, so I am not sure. But consult with people having Citi Bank Credit cards. Yes, NucleusKore will sure help. Hes having one.

Basically go for a Credit Card with lowest credit limit (final Credit limit will be decided by Bank only) - as your requirement is attaching it with Paypal.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@NucleusKore

I meant using his own name, address etc in Paypal, but using his Dad's card only for verification. So all accounts will be in his name, and his Dad need not pay tax for that isn't it ? Credit card is attached only once, they deduct < $2 from that too, then it is all done. So not much issues related to IT for his Dad isn't it ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

If it's his dad I am not sure. Better to check with his CA before doing it, IT laws are funny.

I tried to check the card details and its really confusing. :(

@NucleusKore
Which card type did you select? Can you pls suggest me which one should I choose?

I started with the Citibank VISa Classic. You can click apply online now, and select Citibank Silver credit card from that list

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Just checked the Citibank website: The facility to apply online for a Citibank Credit Card is currently available only for customers of Citibank and its partners.

So you need to personally apply for a Citibank CC.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@Vishal
How come still you haven't got any call for credit card?
i get one call at least once a month:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom