HELLLP MS Paint and Calculator missing !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugger

Banned
I recently reinstalled Windows 2000. After finshing reinstallation I found out that MS Paint and the Calculator were missing. I ran a virus scan with bitdefendar provided by Digit a few months back. But it turned up nothing (ihad updated the definitons before running the scan)
I first thoughtof running installation again. Then I thought if it were possible to just install those compnents that were missing instead of running the complete setup. Plz tell me if it is possible, and if it is possible,howdoIgo about doing it.
Also during installation, Ikept getting a message saying that certain *.cls files were not being copied and Iwas given the option of either aborting the installationor go ahead ahead without those files. I opted for the latter.
What are these files and is my prblem because of this (Although Imust tell you that Ihad recieved the same set of messages last time Ihad instaled win 2k butdid not face any problem with either calculator or paint

V

vishal_bhatia87

You can manually create icons by this procedure

Right click on the start
Select explore all users
Double click on programs
Double click on Accessories
There Right Click > New >Shortcut
create shortcut wizard opens
In location enter: mspaint
Press next
In name enter: Paint
Press enter

Again Right Click > New >Shortcut
create shortcut wizard opens
In location enter: calc
Press next
In name enter: Calculator
Press enter

You are done.

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
I really don't think that it is a case of simple missing shortcut. Anyway, I shall try what u have suggested.

Ringwraith

Journeyman
check in c:\windows\system32, if not install through
control panel ->add remove programs -> add remove windows components

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I think u might've selected minimal install or something like that during the reinstall, or something.

In any case, go to control panel, choose windows components setup and select accessories. Search for MSPaint and calculator entries. Most probably, they are unchecked. If so, check the boxes and say ok. If they are checked and say ok to remove them. Then come back and re-enable them.

V

vishal_bhatia87

Ringwraith said:
check in c:\windows\system32, if not install through
control panel ->add remove programs -> add remove windows components

Yes also try this

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I have the same problem in WinXP, but the files that are missing are Wordpad and Notepad. I copied Notepad from another system and no problem using it. But Wordpad doesnot work (obviously needs support files) .

But I installed as I usually install and there is not specific option for Wordpad in AddRemovePrograms

Prajith

Broken In
cool down man just go to control panel add remove programs ,
add remove windows components
then install the accessories
that simple

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
slugger said:
I really don't think that it is a case of simple missing shortcut. Anyway, I shall try what u have suggested.
I am more than happy to take back my words as it was indeed a case of missing shortcuts. I would like to thank alib_i for prvding me the solution, and the simpest on I must say.

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
siriusb said:
I think u might've selected minimal install or something like that during the reinstall, or something.
Are there options for custom install, minimal install and so on during Win2k installations? I usually perform installations on a formatted HDD. therefore I have touse the file winnt.exe. I though kinda never found out how to perform a custom install in Win 2k. If you know how todo it plz post it

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
There is no apparent custom install in win 2k. But if u used the unattend.txt way of installing it, u could specify which components to install manually. Shud've guessd u won't have used it.

Here's how if u want to do it:
*support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255771

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom