HDD space lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
i hav got a 160gb hdd, wen i used it wit my p-iii system, i cud use only abt 127gb. now have an updated AMD system, nd now using dat drive as slave. but how do i get bak dat space, w/o losing data already on dat disk???? a freeware option will be better

eddie

El mooooo
Open "Disk management" in Windows XP and partition/format to get the space back. You can open disk management by running compmgmt.msc from "Start -- Run". You will see some "unallocated space" on the relevant disk. That is what you are looking for.

eddie

El mooooo
Do you have Service Pack 3 installed?
*www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win2000.html

DukeNukem

Come get Some
i've also gone through the Same infliction for 2 days an year ago.
install XPSP2 to ease the pain.
and for god sake DO NOT try your hard drive with a mix of pIII i810 i815 WIN98SE, as this combination will make all your data in hdd Disappear.

digiFriend

In the zone
you can run 160 GB harddisk in PIII.
1)first check in BIOS. if it is detecting 160GB there,then you need to fix LBA in your OS.
if bios is detecting 127 GB ,then you need to update your bios.
(if your operating system is using "36 bit LBA" then maximun harddisk size it can detect is 137.4 GB.to detect more than 137.4 GB ,the OS need "48 bit LBA")

2)download "EnableBigLba.exe" its size is 156 kb and its freeware. run it and it will make LBA 48 bit. reboot.

3)or to manually do it.
* regedit
* HKey_Local_Machine\system\current Control set\services\atapi\parameters
* find "EnableBigLBA" there and change it value to 1.(if it is not there,write it and make its value 1)
* exit Regedit and reboot.

(note: installing new SP2 patch can also fix this problem.)

DukeNukem

Come get Some
okee dokee

1> i get the 160 gb hdd an year agoooo

2> vender formated and partitioned it himself (do know how) in single of 147.something.

3> at home i plugged the new hdd on my PIII 1GHZ, DFI 815 CS-65EC REV. A+, 256 MB RAM PC.

4> i installed win98se on it

5> it did.

6> after few successful boots every thing form it vanished (it didnt recognised the data in the drive all thing goes like (+++++ |||||| *** $$ @@@)

7> try to partitioned it with the bootable XP CD

8> i can only get the 127 gb of it. (it really drive me nuts, cant upgrade my bios as support for my board goes offline)

9> scold the vender about the same

10> he scold me about the same. (HE HE)

11> then i tried the bootable XPSP2 cd to partitioned the 160 GB hdd

12> it recognise the true capacity of the hdd (wat a relief).

13> manage to partitioned and format the drive using that Bootable.

14> installed the winxpsp2.

15> working fine till now.

HAPPY DUDE.

also you can use the bootable cd of server 2003 for the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom