HDD Gives BEEPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

I recently installed a XFX nVIDIA Ge Force 7600 GS (256 MB) AGP card.

Problem: Now wenever my system is in operation, i sumtimes hear "beep" sound as if indicating that the HDD is temporarily OFF and then in 1-2 seconds, it again starts working. Till that gap, i can see the things on my Monitor but since the HDD is sort of OFF, the mouse is not responding. Y is that ??

I hv a 250W SMPS (PSU), is it coz of the lack of SMPS Power?? I hv checked all connections and I guess its not a s/ware glitch. I hv a Seagate SATA 160 GB 7200 rpm HDD (1 year old) on Intel D865 GBF with 512 MB DDR(400) Transcend RAM and WIN XP OS. Please dont giv advices of Changing my components as they are hardly old.

Please help...

Cheers n e-peace....

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
A 250W SMPS and a 7600 card? Oh god. You need a bare minimum of 400W for that config of yours.

HDD dont emit beeps, a motherboard does. its mostly due to power or RAM issues.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
250W SMPS

try using higher one say 400W form friends comp..and see if it persists...if it does...check ur ram.....but mostly it will be Power supply

patkim

Cyborg Agent
You should go for at least 350W or above PSU. Check what the mobo manual suggests under recommended power supply requirements.

HDD as such does not give any beeps by design, but some mechanical failures or such events could result into a sound coming from HDD that feels like beep and it will mostly sound or feel like a distress beep. It happened with my 20 GB HDD before it finally failed after 6 long years of operation. Such beeps from HDD might be indication that something is going wrong at mechanical level.

Check if the HDD makes relatively high sound when it spins. Also check the HDD temperature for any unusual increase in the same. Some tools like HDDLife can help you check the temp and status. Remove the AGP graphics card and check if system stabilizes with only onboard video.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Yup all u guys are absolutely right,

its the SMPS tats NOT SUFFICIENT :( for my 7600 GS. The Minimum Recommended is 400W for that card. I will get that tomo itself and post my results.

BTW, Wich SMPS shud i go for: VIP, Zebronics or any other.. /???

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom