Have some basic questions about processor and SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I have two noobish questions :D

The first one is about dual core and quad core processors. Let's take an example. In a intel Q6600, there are 4 operating cores. The speed of the proccy is 2.33 GHz. My question is that if four cores are working simultaneously @ 2.33 GHz each or the sum of the speed of 4 cores is 2.33 GHz?

Here goes the second one. I want to create a SLI based system. Will I have to buy a mobo with nvidia chipset? Can I run two nvidia cards in SLI mode with a Intel P35 based mobo?

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
1. Its not like sum of 4 cores.. All the four cores run at 2.33 Ghz or so.. at the same time.. But we cant add them and say it is 2.33 x 4 = 9.32 GHz!... I'll make u clear with this; Its like.. if u have a 1 GB 667 MHz RAM, then if u wanna add a extra new RAM module, then u'll to get the RAM with same frequency! So the first RAM(1GB) u have is 667 MHz and the second(extra 1 GB) one is also 667 MHz and sum is also 667 MHz.. but only the memory increases... (1 + 1 = 2 GB!). In the same manner, here in processors.. the frequency remains same and the Cache Memory (L2 especially) adds up!

2. You dont need a nVidia Chipset to do that, only thing is ur mobo should have SLI support and not the CrossFire. And yes... u can run two nVidia Cards in SLI mode.. but both the cards must be SAME!. And Yes u can in P35

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
then which mobos Giga? Advice some ASUS ones. Also I want two of my cards to run at x16 pci-e bus. Is that possible in a P35?

for the quad core, it is like running four single core proccys under a single die. Isn't it?:confused:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
1. For which mobo to buy ask here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71700 And Yes, both the cards run at x16, or 16x in-turn

2. Yes

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
There is no SLI board with chipsets other than nVidia.

nVidia is thinking about sharing it's SLI with Intel to have some co-operation from the proccy giant.

So, Gigacore, I think u r wrong. *www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Main/Large_Mix/irre.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom