Have i been fooled( new pc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire

Broken In
Just bought a new PC with the configuration: Intel pentium-D processor, Intel D102GGC2 mob, 512mb RAM, 5.1 Creative Inspire speakers, Pinnacle TV tuner card, SONY DVD RW, LG L1730S 17" LCD, Logitech keyaboard & Mouse. Now the tragedy:
Firstly 5.1 surround system of mothereboard is not working.
Secondly Graphics are even poorer than my old 915GAV mob.
While copying a CD, winamp become sluggish.
I am really frustrated. Can't blame the shopkeeper, because i've selected the config myself. i've spent 38,000 on this config.
Now you guys tell me if i've really been fooled

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
have u installed all the drivers properly, if u r using ur onboard sound make sure the drivers are properly installed, this is same for ur onboard graphics.
try n get the latest drivers from the net.

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
winamp will of course get sluggish if u copy a CD side-by-side.....its is always good to leave your computer on its own when doing some burning business

dabster

In the zone
Sluggish performance of winamp while CD copying...clearly tells that there is some problem with DMA mode in which CD drive is working....You may check yourself while copying, the CPU usage would be near to 100% that is due to wrong DMA mode....

To rectify it open Device manager,
Expand the IDE/drive tree, here in right click the secondary channel and uninstall it....(I believe that drive is connected to secondary channel)
In the top click the Scan for hardware changes button(small computer icon)....
It would detect the CD drive correctly in proper dma mode...
check Dma mode in (secondary channel properties)->Avanced settings the DMA mode.... It should be Ultra DMA 2...

I believe that this solves Your problem...

Stalker

Padawan
Install all the drivers properly.......................that may help
does ur mobo have x200 onboard gfx??

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well...the poor graphics performance may be due to the amout of ram shared.....how much r u currently sharing? Integrated ATI Radeon X300 based graphics is definately superior to the GMA 900....so it has to be the memory....also r the drivers updated? Try to re-install u r o/s....

OP
F

fire

Broken In
I've installed all the drivers several times. but of no use. Checked the intel website. they r sayin it supports 5.1, downloaded the latest drivers but of no use.
As for DMA mode, it shows ultra DMA mode4 in the current mode & DMA if available in the transfer mode.
Yeah it has X200 graphics onboard but dunno weather the prob is with onboard graphics or the LCD monitor.

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
^^^
Check the BIOS, in ''Advanced Chipset Options'' or ''Advanced BIOS Freatures''..... change ''Onboard VGA Frame Buffer Size''..or something similar...

Also Intel's website says it has the X300 and not the X200....
*www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d102ggc2/index.htm

OP
F

fire

Broken In
Yes ur right, it says ATI x200 based chipset and x300 based graphics. But graphics drivers supplied with motherboard are x200 based only.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
For cd-burning thing try microcd burner: *www.snapfiles.com/get/silentnightcd.html its a very light ,small,fast (2mb)burner , needs no installation, which doesn't even hang my PIII system . and its free to use, even though the site says you need to pay. Atleast mine is free

Just a guess: To see if you have been fooled try some bechmarks,

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
You started on the path of folly the moment you chose to opt for an Intel pentium D :D Seriously, try using something like powerdvd or winamp surround edition to check whether the 5.1 channel sound is working, vast majority of onboard and cheapo soundcards dont have native upmixing to 5.1 from a stereo sound source. Also check ur audio settings to see if 5.1 channel spkrs are selected. I doubt the sluggishness is due to the dma setting, I checked on an X2 4200+ by disabling DMA and even tho one core was getting loaded to max, things werent sluggish b'coz of the second core.

OP
F

fire

Broken In
thanx to all u guys.power DVD solved my 5.1 surround prob but my graphics prob is still there. can anybody tell me where can i find the ati x300 graphics drv.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
U can dl it directly from ATI or any Digit DVDs as the cards have unified driver.
Go to bios nd give more shared mem to the graphics..at least 128MB. Thats should make things faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom