Has Wi-Fi Really Come to India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi
i am living in jodhpur (dont bother....its in rajisthan)...I was wondering id i bought a Wi-Fi enebled Laptop and got an access point too...say a buffalo one
will i still be able to connect to net ..If so at waht speeds ....
I really wanted to know how Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work..I mean wathces syncing with PC's and stuff
any good artic;les on the web.....

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Google around. You'll find plenty of info. Basically, Bluetooth is short-range, low-bandwidth while Wi-fi is better in both respects. There are different wi-fi standards rather like USB.

imprince

Journeyman
Wi-Fi is in india now u can access wi-fi enabled devices in INDIRA GANDHI international airport in NEW DELHI... with one access point u can connect many devices to access internet . and but u should have one wi-fi enabled laptop ....... or wi-fi enabled card ,,, still thiss stuff is costly......
i think bluetooth is working with some limitaions.......
:?

bluetooth is a wireless technology, that allows data to be exchanged between two or more paired devices in an area of about 50 - 100 metres (5 metres in the case of mobile phones).
Well, i dunno much about Wi-Fi. U can get more info about it from google or yahoo or any other search engine.
In a comparison, Wi-Fi is a better option than bluetooth for any sort of communication - be it accessing the internet or exchange of data

imprince

Journeyman
futuristically_ancient said:
bluetooth is a wireless technology, that allows data to be exchanged between two or more paired devices in an area of about 50 - 100 metres (5 metres in the case of mobile phones).
Well, i dunno much about Wi-Fi. U can get more info about it from google or yahoo or any other search engine.
In a comparison, Wi-Fi is a better option than bluetooth for any sort of communication - be it accessing the internet or exchange of data

Wi-Fi is also wireless ..... but with some ACCESS POINTS to communicate with ur device like laptop

beaditya

Journeyman
wi-fi is gonna take years to be fully launched in india and to be accessed from your ................i think by that time u'll be buyin a new laptop AMAN.

i hear someone say that "data one" is gonna launch something like that!!

imprince

Journeyman
beaditya said:
wi-fi is gonna take years to be fully launched in india and to be accessed from your ................i think by that time u'll be buyin a new laptop AMAN.
that!!
at that time there would be a new technology( SURE ) ,,,, then that time v da people will say WHO CARES ABOUT WI-FI... :wink: Kidan :wink:

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
linksys and netgear , both have tech support call centers in india , actually both under the same bpo . so in a sense wi fi is here . u could call them up and get ur queries answered on toll free numbers or their website too .

in case anyone wants to join tech support , the company is slashsupport in chennai , with other major clients too . if ur a networking guy , there is a job for u from entry level to brain draining complex network troubleshooting .

tk

theraven

Technomancer
Definition: Wi-Fi => WIreless FIdelity network
=wireless lan/ethernet
=wireless version of wired networks

Types:

Speed: 54.0 MBPS/11.0 MBPS/54.0MBPS

Frequency: not sure/2.4Ghz/2.4Ghz

Order Of Introduction: a=>b=>g

Compatibility: g is backward compatible with b..... therefore b/g networks can coexist ... a is completely different

Requirements: as in wired networks the 2 clients require lan card ... in wireless network 2 clients require a wireless network card ... or atleast inbuilt wireless capabilities as in the case of CENTRINO notebooks which are inbuilt with Wi-Fi b networks
with these 2 basically i can set up a direct connection for sharing of resources BUT NOT SHARING OF A NET CONNECTION !!!
this is called as an AD-HOC mode of wireless connection

Requirement For Sharin NET Connection:
1) a wireless access point (AP)/router ... in addition to the 2 wireless cards on each pc ( no. =2)
2) one of the cards ( the one on ur host pc with net connection) to have an INBUILT ACCESS POINT

check my guide for sharing a net connection here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11401&highlight=ravens+guide

Difference Between WI-FI and wired lan/ethernet:
1) Wi-FI is free of wires/wireless .... wired has .. well WIRE troubles
2) wi-fi offers max 54 MBPS speed ... wireless offers 10/100MBPS to 1 GIGABIT with "GIGABIT" LAN as seen on the newer MOBO's !
3) Wi-Fi offers WEP Security ... wired lan does not
4) wired lan cannot be tapped into that easily .. u need a physical source
wireless networks can be found with wi-fi enabled devices .... and can be accessed if WEP key not available pretty easily ...
even with WEP ... wifi is not very secure ... ( but here we are talkin abt US government secure)
basic security is good enuff

Uses:(With the kind of connection that u require ie. AD-hoc / Infrastructure
1) sharing files/folders/resources between 2 computers (AD-HOC/Infrastructure)
2) Playing Multiplayer games (AD-HOC/Infrastructure)
3) Sharing Printers (AD-hoc/Infrastructure)
4) Sharing New Connection (Infrastructure REQUIRED !!!! or AD-HOC with a Proxy Setup!)

Sites You Can Visit:
*computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm
*infoscouts.com/computers/wifi.htm
*www.bitpipe.com/data/rlist?t=1020279364_3396753&src=google
*www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=what+is+wi-fi&meta=

for more on bluetooth check my post here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12130&highlight=bluetooth

o what the hell ill paste it here

bluetooth is a wireless technology used to connect diff deviced together
u can use it as lan .. but its NOT a replacement for LAN
tho it can be used for the purpose ... but its not a replacement for sure
its too slow
goto www.howstuffworks.com and search for bluetooth for more information

theraven

Technomancer
u mean surf the net wirelessly ?
no not directly
unless u have 2 comps
ur laptop and a desktop or another laptop
both wifi ready
ull have to attatch the cable to one of the laptop and share it with the other wirelessly
how to share ive already posted in my tut

what u are talkin abt is WiMax
and its not been introduced yet .. its still under testing
wait for it

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Wi-fi Not in India? Dude.. Chennai Central Station & Chennai Airport are Wifi Enabled.. There are many Hotspot in Bangalore and other big cities as well..

Ofcourse you can use ur laptop to browse in these places.. But i think u need to subscribe with the service provider.. (i think its either sify or dishnet.. not sure thou..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom