Has GNOME finally killed off KDE in the Ubuntu interface wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Things are not looking good for KDE, following the news that KDE will not be getting long term support (LTS) whereas GNOME will according to Canonical. The Hardy Heron will be assured of LTS status it seems, making Ubuntu 8.04 the second version of this Linux distro to get the Canonical commercial blessing.

The decision would appear to be a simple commercial one, after all GNOME is far and away the most popular when it comes to downloads. Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical CEO, reckons it accounts for around 65% of all Ubuntu downloads. So where does this leave the other 35% who are loyal to KDE?

The leader of the Ubuntu Desktop team at Canonical, Scott James Remnant, has admitted that KDE 4 will not be stable enough to support for the term of the release. Posting to the ubuntu.com mailing list, Remnant states “I've not seen anybody who believes that this would be the case; a long-term supported release would have to be based on the stable KDE 3.5 series.” He goes on to admit that Kubuntu 8.04 comes at what is described as being a “difficult time” in the KDE release cycle, citing the arrival so soon after a major release of the platform to substantiate the claim. The support issue becomes even cloudier when the question of whether a bug in KDE 3.5 will receive upstream support as far ahead as March 2011. Remnant suggests that in order for Canonical to make such a commercial commitment for KDE 3.5 then KDE 4 would have to remain unsuitable for support. “Given the attention being paid to KDE 4” Remnant argues “it is difficult to believe that this will not be the preferred release in three years time.” The posting also goes on to explain that Kubuntu 8.04 will be considered suitable for commercial support, as an LTS, when and only when the packages it contains are deemed to be stable and maintained for at least a three year period.

Is this really such a bad thing? I would venture to argue not, although I appreciate it leaves me at the mercy of the KDE fanboys, but bear with me. During this period of LTS flux, perhaps it might mean that people can focus on getting a single interface that works well and compete in the hearts and minds of the great unwashed with Windows and Mac, instead of driving a chuffing great wedge between two competing interfaces. The general public does not need additional reasons to be confused about Linux, it needs additional reason to buy into the OS. A single interface for Ubuntu could be a great place to start…

- Davey Winder, staff writer aka happygeek

*www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1920.html

Gnome being popular and default in Ubuntu and major distros will help ease the new linux movers.atleast they can see a uncluttered Interface which is clean and simple :)
But,NO,I am not against Kde,me too waiting to see what Kde4 when released will have to offer :)
and if kubuntu is suppose be dead,then,there are sidux,simply mepis -all are pro-kde distros directly from debian repos!

edit:found a good article:
December 28, 2007 9:56 AM PST
Upgrade timing demotes KDE variant of Ubuntu Linux

Posted by Stephen Shankland

*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20071228/kubuntu_logo.png
There are two dominant software projects that provide Linux with a graphical user interface, but only one of them will get long-term support in Ubuntu's next version of the open-source operating system.
GNOME, the default user interface for Ubuntu, will receive the support, but KDE won't. The reason, according to Canonical, which sponsors Ubuntu and is trying to make a business of selling the support contracts, is simply that KDE is at an awkward transitional period between two versions, the old-line 3.5 and the imminent and significantly different 4.0.
Developer interest is focused on KDE 4.0, but it's not mature enough yet to use in the next KDE-based variation of Ubuntu, called Kubuntu, Scott James Remnant, leader of the Ubuntu Desktop team, said in an explanation to a Kubuntu mailing list. But most Kubuntu developers adding features "upstream" of today's products are focused on KDE 4.0, meaning that it's risky to release a long-term support version based on 3.5.

"Given the attention being paid to KDE 4, it is difficult to believe that this will not be the preferred release in three years' time," Remnant said. "The KDE upstream position appears clear: KDE 4 is the focus of developer attention; KDE 3.5 will be supported as long as KDE 4 isn't suitable for support."
Even though I'm among those who prefer KDE overall, I think Canonical's decision is sensible under the circumstances. And maybe, if we're lucky, this choice will be one small step toward moving beyond the problem that there have to be different Ubuntu flavors with different user interfaces in the first place. But more on that later.
Ubuntu 8.04, aka "Hardy Heron" and due in April 2008, will become the second version of Ubuntu Linux to receive Canonical's long-term support (LTS) designation. Most Ubuntu versions are supported for 18 months, but LTS products are supported for three years for desktop machines and five years for servers.

GNOME-based Ubuntu more popular
GNOME is dominant among Ubuntu users, accounting for about two-thirds of Ubuntu downloads, according to Canonical Chief Executive Mark Shuttleworth.

The remaining third using KDE are a sizable minority, though, and Shuttleworth has taken pains to reassure them that KDE is a priority. Notably, in 2006, Shuttleworth became the first KDE "patron". He's since been joined by four other patron-level KDE sponsors.

read full:
*www.news.com/underexposed/8301-13580_3-9838094-39.html?tag=nefd.top

Last edited:
OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Hehe!no flame wars!this is just that kde3.5 cannot be included in kubuntu hardy as it will became obsolete in few months!while all devels and kde boys are looking for kde4.but kde4 is still in beta,hence cannonical,cannot give support for a beta product until it is released stable.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Why PCLinuxOS went the Gnome way

*nixedblog.thenixedreport.com/?p=139

I can only hope things fall in place (more like will be made to) being a Gnome user, but still wish KDE all the best.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
@Hitboxx:Kdeboys are saying that Gnome based Pclinos is unofficial not gonna get any updates and all ...!once u go kde,there will be no looking back.thats what eyecandy can do for u.only sensible users will like the simplicity :) of Gnome.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
@praka: Yes, fools if you ask me, I'm fed up of these petty quarrels, they will dig up their own graves., sad :\

x3060

A LOTR fan
lol, finally we are having movie stars in our forum, :-D, damn i thought i was the only movie star here (read , your fav star here ) :-D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@Hitboxx:Kdeboys are saying that Gnome based Pclinos is unofficial not gonna get any updates and all ...!once u go kde,there will be no looking back.thats what eyecandy can do for u.only sensible users will like the simplicity :) of Gnome.

That's so person-dependant. I find gnome not to be simple at all. I find fluxbox way more simple than GNOME, in fact I find KDE way much simpler than GNOME.

Sykora

I see right through you.
It looks like it is just a case of bad timing. I believe KDE4 should have released quite a while ago.

Personally, I prefer KDE over gnome, because I think it looks better and is more configurable. On the flipside, it's way more complicated than Gnome.

Gnome looks plain by default compared to KDE only because of the fact that Plastik is a better looking default theme and because Kaffine is better than Totem. But if you customise/tweak Gnome a little bit, it can do wonders. Look at infra's Mac4Lin for instance.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
also i prefer gtk+ application just that those apps will serve fine for most WM's including XFCE et al skipping kde which is standing alone with its qt libs(i have limited knowledge reg superiority of gtk2+ vs qt4).
in a nutshell gtk2+ apps serves whole Linux community,while i am having my Debian and Ubuntu completely free of qtlibs(yeah!).but ofcourse i tried opera-static for browsing sometime.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
But if you ask me, Qt helps an interface developer more than GTK. Many things which I need to code for GNOME can be achieved in KDE with just a few clicks.

KDE is surely heavier than GNOME, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom