Hardware Config 4 Vista in 5k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
I've got a budget of about 5k.tell me what can i get to use vista(with aero if possible)
heres my current config
P4 with 2.4Ghz
Intel DG845G mobo(i think)
512 mb of DDR RAM
DVD/CD combo
regarding the mobo it has 3 PCI slots

:cool: :cool: help me out:confused: :confused:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Sell your current stuff and buy new stuff for another 5-10k. However don't expect to run vista smoothly even with that system and don't expect to even view 1/2 its capabilities with it.

1GB RAM is the bare min for Vista, 2GB is the min recommended, 4GB is recommended, 8GB is the way to go, albeit in 2008/2009.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Yeah!
Vista will probably crawl on u r system.

But try to get about 1GB ram.

But I think aero will not be possible...if u want to run aero get a PCI based 6200...it should cost u ~4.5k..(think!)

Third Eye

gooby pls
thewisecrab said:
Hi guys
I've got a budget of about 5k.tell me what can i get to use vista(with aero if possible)
heres my current config
P4 with 2.4Ghz
Intel DG845G mobo(i think)
512 mb of DDR RAM
DVD/CD combo
regarding the mobo it has 3 PCI slots

:cool: :cool: help me out:confused: :confused:

Budget is too low !
2GB RAM is must for Vista.

OP
thewisecrab
I cant sell my stuff as it is all i have .can i buy a New mobo with an AGP slot and a low end garfix card??? i dont want 2 increase my ram 4 d moment.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
^^
Yes, you can get a 865 based mobo and a XFX 6200...then you will be able to
~~''run''* vista..

*Conditions Apply!

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Does buying a 865 mobo make any sense now just to "run" Vista? Then you will waste even more money on a worthless 6200. You don't want to add more RAM either which is probably the only upgrade in your budget that actually makes any sense. Use XP and be happy with it. If you so desperately want to run Vista be prepared to spend a lot more for it. Buying a mobo 4 generations old makes no sense.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Vista should run on your system. Just get another 512MB RAM. Get a second hand cheap SM 2.0 GPU. Reduce the eye candy, skip aero, and you will be already to run Vista.

However things like gaming or expecting smooth performance will be a problem. For all that wait a yr or so, let Vista come up, let hardware be available then a cheaper upgrade from todays standards will do the job.

If you really ask to make full use of Vista and use it with the performance that we today get from XP, we will need Quad core CPUs with 8GB RAM and a Dx 10 card which none of us have. That would be equivalent to using XP SP2 on A64 single core + 1GB RAM.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
^^
Techboi is very right, Vista kills even state-of-the-art hardware....

Me too, I will also keep Vista just as a source of i-candy,but all gaming,benchmarks has to be in XP....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Here is where ppl make a mistake. In those old times, Win 98 sure ran faster than XP, but games released in 2002 or later ran better on XP than on Win 98 provided you had 256MB RAM, off course for general purposes XP was still slower.

Similarly, newer games will run faster on Vista even on existing hardware provided you have 1-2GB RAM. This means that all general work will be in Vista, plus gaming will be in Vista, so this also means that we no longer need XP.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Similarly, newer games will run faster on Vista even on existing hardware provided you have 1-2GB RAM.

Yes...that the exact point 1GB-2GB ram......but you can get the same speed in XP with 512MB-1GB of ram....for general uses

And the base OS...memory consumption is also imp, Xp hardly takes 192MB-384MB of ram....while Vista takes 512MB...so in that case unless u have 2GB ram...Vista will definitely kill your PC..

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Here is a simple and safe suggestion

Buy a 512MB Module and install Vista Customisation Pack (LOL) Thats it
simple isnt it

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Look games will run faster on Vista with 1-2GB RAM. For general purposes, you need atleast 4GB to get the experience of using XP with 512-1GB RAM.

Anyway, @ OP, try Vista and tell us how your experience is.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
well from what I have read a gpu is considered an absolute must for vista. But since you don't have agp/pci-e slot it may not be a wise purchase to get a pci gpi card.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i'd say, dun upgrade now. wait till it is finally released and upgrade ur system altogether!

but yes, wid the available resources, get a GB ram minimum... any other upgrade in ur 5k budget is useless. save it!

Kniwor

Learner
well, for now, try and get a graphics card, dont spend 5k, get a cheaper one, 7300 or something, and save the money for later mobo/cpu upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom