harddisk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

itz_suman

Right off the assembly line

hi frnds,
i run windows xp in my pc. now a days i notice that the pc shows 24GB hdd space instead of 40GB. even in bios it is showing 24GB.
i tried to install linux a few days ago. but it was not done.
plz help me neone withits solution.
waiting for a solution.
thanking you.

amistik

Broken In
Try to autodetect the hard disk in bios. If it stills shows 24GB download seagate or sumsang hard disk tool and try to detect the actual size.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
hi suman welcome to the forum.
Try to boot from the win boot floppy and try fdisk and check your HDD space Smile. and as amistik said select auto detection in BIOS.

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

ishaan

Padawan
did this prob come after u tried installing linux ? mebe den da rest of da space is a linux partition now so it doesnt come in windows.

vinay

Broken In
Found a little tut cleans up to 550 Mb
Go to c:\windows\system32\dllcache you'll find 300MB of .dll's, these are the exact same as you'll find in your system directory. These files are there as a backup and only used for signature verification. If you don't use that feature in XP you can delete it's entire content or if you prefer back it up.

Installed SP1 recently? Go to c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and find 250MB of unneeded files. You may delete that directory as it has absolutely no use.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hey I too have a prob.I have 4 partitions......
C:18.6 GB(Windows XP Home)
D:9.3(Win 98)
E:13.9(Backup)
F:13.9(Songs)

By selecting all files in C drive and checking it properties shows only 12GB occupied space.But in my computer it shows around 17GB where is the 5GB lost.
In F:/ drive I installed WinXP Pro 4 temporary purpose but to uninstall it I deleted it..........n it also showed tht it is deleting windows folder.....but it didn't put in recycle bin or even showed tht "Do u want to permanently delete it"........there is no folder of windows in tht partition........but still the space is not free........how to get it back..

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
The rest of the place is lost as System Restore, hybernation and Pagefile (Virtual Memory) (probably).

Sharad

Right off the assembly line
itz_suman said:

hi frnd,

You just boot VIA win 98 bootable Cd and go for FDISK /status
and fdisk command and there must be space 40 GB and if not partition space also there if the partition is not created than creat or if it does not work than get the Paragon partition manager and u can find every thing what u need.

walking-techie

Journeyman
in ur win xp

goto my computer > <rght click > manage

click on disk management..

this will show u how ur hdd space is used
if any space is not in use or u dont recognize.. format it
and recover ur lost space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom