Hard Disk Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

senthilrek

Broken In
I have a small doubt. My friend Motherboard supports only 10Gb of Hard disk space. Recently we bought a 40GB Hard disk. But we were able to use only 10GB and the rest is left unused. I want to have full access to the Hard disk space. Some say that you have to update ur BIOS. What is the solution and how to perform it in house itself.

theraven

Technomancer
that mobo will not support more than 10 gb
and yeah a bios update might do the trick
but ull have to go online to find a new bios first of all
see if it supports larger hdd's
and then flash ur bios which is pretty tricky
so when ur sure u wanna do it just go and get the updated bios ... they should also give u the steps involved
be carefull a bad flash will render ur mobo useless

KHUBBU

Journeyman
well, i dont know if this was a miracle but i had a similar problem.
i hav a pentium 200 mhz system which does not support hdds above 8.4 gb. i had a 20 gb hdd. it recognised only 8.4gb.Well what i did was to take that hdd and attached it to my new 2.8 ht system running xp. using the logical disk manager in xp, i formatted the unallocated space ( i.e. the left over 20 gb minus 8.4gb) and then again i connected to my old system and this time to my surprise it recognised the full capacity ie both the partitions. i could save, access anything from the new partiton.

try it maybe it could help u.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
b4 going abt risky bios flash thingie . check manufactureres site for ontrack disk manager . samsung , seagate and maxtor have them as far as i know . just installed an 80 gb hdd on friends old computer which showed up as 30 gb . if u use the disk manager u can install a disk drive overlay which acts as a go between ur bios and ur hdd and recognizes new large capacity hdd for even old systems . i had a 30 gb hdd running on p1 which only supported upto 8 gb . bios flash is a bit too risky . try disk drive overlay . u even have options to back up and restore ur mbr with this tool . works gr8 . check manufactureres site for guide on this too .

u dont have to upgrade ur bios with this option . if u do try it and make a mess u could lose ur motherboard . just download and make a boot floppy of disk manager or get the iso and burn a cd .

if u dont want above options . place called microelectronics updates bioses for 50 Rs in athiappan st , behind ritchie street . u can call and ask them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom