Hard Disk Space Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saptak

I have already read d post abt disk space getting mysteriously lost. It suggested the solution to be d turnin off of System Restore.
but i have got a diff prob. I already have Sys Restore turned off on both of my Drives. Now when i transfer files (esp. large ones) from A drive to B , the disk space of B drive decreases as expected, but d space in d A drive dos not increase!!!!
Wat is d Prob??? ........ btw i have Win Xp Pro

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Try to run scandisk on that drive in DOS (u can use win 98 Setup CD to start ur PC in DOS).

And u can also use Partition Magic and check that drive for any ERRORs.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I think ur Files r gettin copied instead of gettin cut off...

OR try seeing the pagefile usge, try not making it windows controlled...

crashuniverse

In the zone
when i transfer files (esp. large ones) from A drive to B , the disk space of B drive decreases as expected, but d space in d A drive dos not increase

are u sure. cos when u transfer from A to B, A shd decrease and B shd increase.

anywasy suppose ur statement is rectified, then u can look for disk usage from a software and partition magic is awesome in that regard.

busyanuj

In the zone
crashuniverse said:
when i transfer files (esp. large ones) from A drive to B , the disk space of B drive decreases as expected, but d space in d A drive dos not increase

are u sure. cos when u transfer from A to B, A shd decrease and B shd increase.

anywasy suppose ur statement is rectified, then u can look for disk usage from a software and partition magic is awesome in that regard.

are you sure crashuniverse, 'cause I agree with Saptak, if he transfers files from A to B, then the space in drive B should decrease and space in drive A should increase.

@Saptak, one reason why you aren't gaining any space can be attributed to the point that you may be copying and pasting files instead of cut and pasting. secondly, it may occur if you have Norton Protected recycle bin. in that case, disable norton protection for recycle bin and check again.

mediator

Technomancer
QwertyManiac is right .Check the if the files are in their original location A, coz if you have dragged the filez from A to B, they get copied !
neways cleanup ur hardrive by cleanup wizard and do some disk defragement and a virus scan!

theraven

Technomancer
read what anuj wrote .. he's right

also if ur trying to "move" them via drag and drop then it wont work ...
dragging and dropping between partitions/disk COPIES them and not MOVE
if your on the same partition then and onlyt hen will drag and drop move the files ..
i hope this is clear now. ..

quertymaniac .... PAGEFILE ?? WTF !!
another instance of reason for warning ..

expertno.1

Technomancer
the hell is going on is this that your file is getting copied..try to cut and paste it

@theraven

u posted "quertymaniac .... PAGEFILE ?? WTF !!
another instance of reason for warning .."

yeah i agree that he suggested wrongly but can i know that why is this regarded as another instance for warning ?
if someone posts wrong then we should correct him and not warn him why he posted wrongly

may be u trying to say that he is spamming and thats why he get warning but does posting wrongly means warning anyone ?

hey hey be cool :cool: and dont warn me for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom