Hard Disk Refuses to Install Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakshit7

Right off the assembly line
I had win 98 installed on my PC, I have a Samsung 20Gb HDD. I repartioned my hard drive and installed Red Hat 7.2. The whole setup used to work fine.
After some time I formated the whole hard disk (after deleting all the partitions first) and then created two FAT32 prations and installed windows 98 SE. then I once got Mandrake on one of the CHIP cds so I tried installing it. Midway through the installation, when the files start getting copied, the system rebooted. And since then this problem has always been there with my HDD, whenever I install any other OS besides Win 98, the system reboots when the installation package starts to copy the new files. I have tried to install Win 2000, I have tried Red Hat 7.2. I have tried Red Hat 6.2. But to no fruit. All of them give me the same problem.
I have tried to recreate the entire partation structure. I have tried FDISK/MBR. I have tried ranish partation manager. I have even taken the pains to have scandisk run a through test on the HDD.
Please help me out here and tell me what to do...
How can i get Red Hat installed onto my system.

saROMan

QA Juggler
well bud seems ur Boot part is messed up.....so wud suggest ..if u dont have any imp files on HDD...do a clean part....
clean part means 1st install a Driver Scrubber ..i guess iolo tech has one,....make a boot floppy install it ....scrum ur HDD ..rem it will take time in hrs ..but in the end u will have a totally blank hdd..as u say u have run scndisk...and if no bad sec was detected then its not bad sec problem....
after that install the OS n see if it works or not......

if it still does not...then do chk ur RAM modules ..though it not mandatory but may b ur Ram is faulty .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom