Hard disk one mobo to another help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
hey guys im currently using this crappy msi rc410m mobo. im gonna get a new pc with a new mobo so can i just use my current hard drive with that mobo?
do i have to reinstall windows or something

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Hey entrana you didn't mention your current hd type.
I think you don't need to reinstall windows or anything just plug in your hard disk in mobo and it will boot from your hard disk.

And yes best of luck for your exams.Now go and study.

OP
entrana

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
how to know my hard disk type

thanks man for u giving gud luk to me ill really need it

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
entrana said:
how to know my hard disk type

thanks man for u giving gud luk to me ill really need it

ARRE I meant to know if it is pata,sata,etc.just make sure your new mobo supports that.

I think you should consult choto cheeta.Post your query in hardware section under 'basic guide purchase a new system'.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=601369#post601369

slugger

Banned
entrana said:
im gonna get a new pc with a new mobo so can i just use my current hard drive with that mobo?
do i have to reinstall windows or something
r u goin 2 get just a new mobo or a everythin will b new - proccy, GPU, sound card......

even if u buy just a new mobo, u will b getting new Northbridge and Southbridge chipsets for which u will have to installer new controler software

also if u d new mobo has a different onboard soundcard chipset, then u will have to install new drivers

if u use d same OS w/o doin a clean install den u run d risk of facing various conflicting driver issues

unless the HW config matches exactly (which in ur case will not :) ) it is always a better option to do a clean install of d OS after changing ne HW as significant as d mobo

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Boot in safe mode,
Uninstall all drivers,
Attach the HDD to the new system.
Install new drivers.

I think this will do the trick

dabster

In the zone
Charan said:
Boot in safe mode,
Uninstall all drivers,
Attach the HDD to the new system.
Install new drivers.

I think this will do the trick

Yes, Uninstall all drivers while you are still on old mobo, before putting hdd to new Mobo. This shd work.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Dude there is also a utility you can use to completely remove your current drivers.I don't remember the name but google it out dude.BUT doing a clean install is highly recommended.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
entrana said:
what drivers EXACTLY do i have to uninstall video drivers or what?

Each and every driver. You Chipset, GFX , Modem, Tv Tuner , Sound card etc etc.

I wonder why choto didnt reply to this thread :p

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
@entrana,i was a bit surprised to see the specs of this mobo.Ur mobo has 1 PCI-express x16 slot,1 PCI-Express X1 slot,4 SATA ports and 2 IDE ports.It has support for DDR2 667Mhz and has socket LGA775 which means it should support core 2 duo via bios update.When did u buy this board?

I saw specs here-

Specs

Follow this procedure of uninstalling-
1)Video Card Drivers
2)Sound Card Drivers
3)Modem drivers if any
4)Lan Drivers if lan is not onboard
5)Chipset Drivers.

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
entrana said:
any specific instructions and remember i dont want to lose ANY FILES
In the old computer backup your all the imporant file to a drive other than OS drive. Now unplug the HDD and plug into new system. Boot from XP CD. format old OS drive and start new install. This will be clean new system alongwith your old file.

OP
entrana

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
guys or can i do this
ill buy new hdd and install xp on that, make my current hdd drive d and my current drive d to drive e, is this possible three hard drives on xfx650i ultra

dabster

In the zone
entrana said:
guys or can i do this
ill buy new hdd and install xp on that, make my current hdd drive d and my current drive d to drive e, is this possible three hard drives on xfx650i ultra
yes, why not, no reason of it not being possible. :)
go ahead.

slugger

Banned
i know of a computer runnin with 6 HDDs :)

if u usin PATAs den it is advisable not to keep any HDDs on d same IDE channel as d optical drive, performance of both is seriuosly affected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom