Hard Disk Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

doom_marine

Journeyman
I just checked my HDD tempreture of my system, i have 3 HDD's and the tempreture of two of the HDD's are areound 50Centigrade. Is that safe or do i have to do something about it, my third one runs at 36Centigrade

unni

In the zone
Hi,
I have to HDDs-Samsung SP4002H (40 GB) & Samsung SP0802N (80 GB). HDDLife shows the normal temperature of the 40 GB disk in between 40 & 45 and for the 80 GB disk, it is between 45 & 50. While defragmenting or when doing some hard disk intense tasks, the 80 GB disk's temperature rises to 53. Once I saw HDDLife showing 55. I shutdown immediately. I don't have a problem with any of the disks so far. I have been using the 40 GB one for three years and the 80 GB one for 1 year.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
55 degrees is a bit too high. Check your HDD manual for the safe temperature range.
Make sure there is enough space between the 2 HDD's. Don't make them occupy adjacent slots. If you could add a fan (inlet fan not exhaust) to the front of your cabinet it would help a lot.

Eazy

Journeyman
I use a HDD cooler in summer and it drops the HDD temp by as much as 8 - 10C. Check out this page at ebay - these coolers are 250/- and lower.

*search.ebay.in/drive-cooler_Fans-H...00QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

Eazy

Journeyman
The HDD coolers throw a lot of dust on to the HDD so after a month or so check to see if the HDD needs cleaning - I use these coolers only during the summer months as my case has 3 120mm fans and the drives dont run hot during the other months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom