hard disk dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitishambition

Right off the assembly line
my hard disk was dropped by me. now it shows some bad sectors what should i do? can't it be repaired? i just wanted to know.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Sorry to hear about your accident, tough luck. It won't be possible to remove the bad sectors, but you can hide them with some software tools though this seems a bit pointless.

More important : It's possible that the HDD suffered more damage than some bad sectors and have become unreliable. I suggest you back up any vital data in it. After that, use it for some time, say a few weeks, and if no further ill effects show up, then it's probably OK.

Don't open the drive. Even minute dust particles settling on the platters can cause further damage.

theraven

Technomancer
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/theraven123/search.gif

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8931

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Hey samw here man a friend dropped my hdd bang. Data gone everything messed up. U can use any util to check where is the first bad sector mine was ok till 80 % after that bad so am using till 80 % fine

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
ask dexy, he knows how...., i have seen a post of his in the general discussions too(wierd tricks that worked)...

[deXter]

Journeyman
Just download and run SpinRite 6, the worlds best HDD Recovery tool.

Note: You'll need to keep a blank floppy OR a blank CD ready for making the spinrite 6 bootable disk. Then after making the disk, boot your computer from it.

When SpinRite 6 starts, in the main menu goto the second option and change the Level to Level 5. Press Esc, go back to the main menu. Choose the first option, select your drive and let spinrite work its magic :)

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom