Hacking Notepad

Status
Not open for further replies.

majig

Broken In
Hacking Notepad
[By a novice for novice]

(As pointed out by GNUrag ... I'v deleted the change in copyrighted information.)

....Well this has been done many times before!
But I have given it my own twist(?).
Hope you like it.

Tools:………

Resource Hacker and …. Notepad!

Get resource hacker from November Digit CD/DVD. Notepad.exe file
can be found in C:\windows and C:\windows\system folder.
Copy one to desktop. First of all give it a new name like MyPad or something like that . Now

open reshhacker and drag the renamed exe file into it.

Change Icon: .........

First the easyest one. Go to Icon Group. There is only one entry '2'. Expand

it and select 1033. Right click on it and choose "Replace
Resources". Now on the newly opened dialog box click on ‘Open file with
new Icon’....and select the icon that you'll use as the Icon for "Mypad". You can save the file

now and notice the changed Icon. (if you
can't just refresh the desktop!)

Change Name: ..........

If you open the "Mypad" now you'll see that the name notepad is
still shown in the Tital bar. To change that, in the Resource Hacker go
to String Table#1 Select 1033 and you'll see
Sevaral lines of strings on the right hand pane. Out of these lines
numbered 5 and 9 are important. You might have understand by now that
we need to change "Notepad" to "Mypad" or whatever the name you have
chosen. You can also do that in line numbered 8 also (appears in
dialogue box). Now hit the 'compile Script' button to compile. This will
make title bar to show the new name.

Change Menus: ..........

What I always wanted was a quicker access to different options.
As there is no option of toolbar in Notepad I made the menu bar into a
Toolbar! To do that in Resource Hacker go to Menu#1.

I’ve changed the entries to followings...

1 MENU
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
MENUITEM "[&New]", 1
MENUITEM "[&Open]", 2
MENUITEM "[&Save]", 3
MENUITEM "[&Find]", 21
MENUITEM "[Fon&t]", 33
POPUP "[&Option]"
{
MENUITEM "&Word Wrap", 32
MENUITEM "&Status Bar", 27
MENUITEM "Page Set&up", 5
MENUITEM "&Print", 6
MENUITEM "&Replace...\tCtrl+H", 23
MENUITEM "&Go To...\tCtrl+G", 24
}
MENUITEM "[E&xit]", 7
}

As you can see apart from 'Option' no Popup menus will appear.
(you might not like this but I’ve found it interesting)

You can copy past from mine or you can experiment little bit yourself.
(..be careful about the curly brackets.)

After that don’t forget to compile it. Now save it and you are done!!

A new looked notepad errrr.. Mypad.

Final Tip: ...........

Make Mypad work bit like sticky. Create a shortcut of MyPad. Now right click on shortcut

and go to properties. There in the target box add the link to a blank text file.
for example

"c:\MyPad.exe" D:\Docs\notes.txt

Thats it!

Same can be done by creating shortcut of the textfile but that would not look cool (..............Ok that was pathetic :D )

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
this might seem a bit out of context but i have [rather had] heard that we can open any file in hex mode also using notepad...anybody knows how??

Hitesh

Ashis

In the zone
Ha Ha Ha ...... Funny Isn't it!

Try hacking Windows & Change Its Name To majig

But Good Try....

It is Inspiring. Keep It Up :p

H

h4ck3r

Post something new...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I DID THIS A YEAR BEFORE. SO TRY POSTING SOMETHING NEW
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) TILL THEN ITS H4CK3R

OP
M

majig

Broken In
Hacking Notepad Part - 2

Thanx.. for any one who liked my post. And a big Sorry for the rest.....

Now I am going to write about what i did to the Dialog boxes.

For this again Open MyPad(previously known as Notepad) in Resource Hacker. Go to Dialog-#NPENCODINGDIALOG. As you can see this dialog get attach to the OpenSave Dialog box.

I don’t know about You but I have habits of saving files with dates
and a bad one of forgetting Dates. So what I did was enter Date-Time right into the OpenSave Dialog box.

For this First resize the Dialog box. You can do that using mouse and drag it. Just the way you do in any window. For the moment just drag downwards. Right click on the dialog box and select 'insert control'. In the newly opened Control box select "SysDateTimePic2". which is in the second row of controls, fourth from the right(Written Dec16 in blue). Right at the bottom of the control box there are see two panes. On the right pane you 'll see DTS_SHORTDATEFORMAT is selected. Change that to DTS_LONGDATEFORMAT and hit OK. Now in the dialog SysDateTime will
appear in the dialog box. Resize it to the size of encoding combobox and drag it to the below combobox. See that distance between the combobox don’t get too big or too small. It would look ugly. Resize the dialog box. Do not forget to compile now.

In this way you can also add icon, bitmaps, animation,.. etc to the dialog boxes. For example we can add a picture as the background for the PageSetup Dialog box. For this U'll need a bitmap file of about 500x375 Pixels. (if want to use that cool pic in jpeg just Convert that to .bmp using IrfanView or mspaint.)

In the resource hacker go to Action -> 'Add a new Resource'. There open the bitmap file. 'Resource name' box enter a name for the bitmap. You can use both numbers or texts. And click add resource.

Then go to Dialog-#12 and insert the bitmap just like the Date-Time. In this case u'll have to select the control in second row third from the left(one with a tree). In the Caption box enter the name of the bitmap u had given and hit OK.

Now in the right hand pane at the bottom you'll find a new line added something like

CONTROL "XXX", 0, STATIC, SS_BITMAP | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 259, 210, 333, 231

("XXX"is the name of the bitmap)

Cut this line from here and past it right after the first curly brackets. You can drag the bitmap using mouse or just change the first two numbers at the end to 1. i.e.

CONTROL "XXX", 0, STATIC, SS_BITMAP | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 1, 1, 333, 231

Now compile it to see the changes and resize the dialog box to that of the bitmap. See that bit maps do not touch the borders of the dialog box. Then move or resize the controls in dialog box to your liking and compile it. Beware.... labels are not transparent looks bit ugly.

One more thing all these hack can be also done in MSPaint as well........

Ashis wrote:

Try hacking Windows & Change Its Name To majig

will try that.... But where do you exectly want me to change :?:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
You guys are discussing how to reverse engineer an integral component of Windows XP, and for everyone's information, according to the Windows XP EULA, reverse engineering of any sort is a criminal offence.

What do you guys think of ?

OP
M

majig

Broken In
Reverse engineering ?

Was it?

No clue!

I thought it was just modding!

Is changing icon or renaming a software is Reverse engineering?

H

h4ck3r

no yo must understand correctly

U see majig... these tweaks are very old stuph...and to this now is a waste of time... its also criminal offence becoz you are not authorized to modify a single line of code..and rev.engg means cracking..There exists a serch engine called kazaa..dunno whether majig is aware of it or not..just try serching for reverse code engg..or similar string or goto the emperor g00gle himself 8)

OP
M

majig

Broken In
h4ck3r wrote:

... these tweaks are very old stuph...and to this now is a waste

of time... its also criminal offence becoz you are not authorized to

modify a single line of code..and rev.engg means cracking..

I know what rev.engg means. So I felt that what I did was not

rev.engg. You say its criminal offence.......

I DID THIS A YEAR BEFORE.

.....and You did it a year ago.

Well....... I never claimed they are new or original. Neither they
were meant for U. ...Your comments were very encouraging. Ok.. I was the

last person on earth who did it. But when i searched this forum i did not

found your guide... Don't keep them secret....do let us know about your
new and happening stuph.. or if somebody else write them don’t say
yea....been there ..... done that.....blaa.blaa.blaa

So GNUrag.... its criminal offence...... then definitely lot us do it judging by the replies . So is Digit asking us to change bitmap file in System property or changing windows default animation … Its iIllegal Isn’t it? Clarify me if I am wrong.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
majig said:
I know what rev.engg means. So I felt that what I did was not rev.engg. You say its criminal offence.......
Reverse engineering is illegal, but resource editing is not. You were trying to edit the resources of binary files which is not illegal, but editing product name and copyright information is again illegal.

majig said:
So GNUrag.... its criminal offence...... then definitely lot us do it judging by the replies . So is Digit asking us to change bitmap file in System property or changing windows default animation … Its iIllegal Isn’t it? Clarify me if I am wrong.
Changing bitmaps and icons may not be illegal but its quite a common sense that editing copyrighted information (or any textual information in general) can be an offence.

OP
M

majig

Broken In
Thanx... GNUrag

I got your point....You are right.

See ...... I get things late and understand later... :oops:

H

h4ck3r

goto my forums

just know what rev engg is ?? gr8 ... if u wanna know more goto www.hnc3k.tk my forums ..and also google for the string +hcu ..before two years i was a hcu member ...for say 16 months..i think thats a feather in my hat..if u dunno the depth of rev engg better shut up !!
if u think u have gr8 skills try reversing some quality protections at www.crackmes.de (levels 1-3 are easy if go above 9 ..tht is level 10 u defeat me) coz me at level 9

theraven

Technomancer
..if u dunno the depth of rev engg better shut up !!
h4ck3r one more useless lil peep outta u and ur gonna be reported !!
i think u better learn some forum etiquettes before blaring with ur cr@p posts
i just went thru a couple of them ...
useful as u may try to be .... u slip up quite a bit too.. specially against the forum rules
and i really dun care if ur the worlds best hacker /cracker or the biggest genius
stop being a pr!ck abt it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom