Hacking attempts

Is Zone Alarm the best Firewall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikhar

Journeyman
I have Win 98se as my OS. The moment I connect to the net Zone alarm system suite detects port scan attempts and blocks it. Is there any way that this can be stopped. Someone tries to connect to port 139 or to port 1434. Is there anyway to stop all this.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
There is nothing called as Best Firewall.... Firewall's rules have to be good enough. And that means it all depends upon who is configuring firewall rules...

Zone Alarm comes with good default rules that make it popular....

G

gxsaurav

there is only 1 best firewwall I have seen, the hardware firewalls, they are hard to beat

don't worry about port scan. Zone Alarm will block it by default, I use sygate, well it deos it for me

The best is Windows XP SP2 inbuilt firewall, all ports are closed by default, only when required a port is opened & only that data gets inside which was called by your PC, so no one else can send data in your PC with it, however, since it is integrated in Windows so it is dependent on other windows component, in which if there is a flaw then it can be breached

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
If ur net connection is cable or broadband
I mean an always on connection then your system is at huge risk.
Zone alarm is quite good.
But win98 is very venerable on networks.
Upgrade to xp or atlease win2000
The Internet connection firewall you get in sp2 for winxp is quite good.
You can also try norton internet security.
Its has a lot of features including a firewall.
But anyway u will have to configure your firewall
The default settings in zone alarm are good enough.

Tech&ME

Banned
What r u doing with Win98, first upgrade your PC to Win XP or 2000, then talk about firewalls. Win98 is not quite good for internet use, even if u have an original and updated win98 on your PC. Win XP or 2000 has been build very differently from its previous OS's. Try Norton Internet Firewall as an alternative its quite good.

OP
S

Shikhar

Journeyman
My experiences weren't good with Win2000. It hanged too often and Zone Alarm System suite wasn't working well in Win 2000. I installed Win XP on my 2nd partition I upgraded to WIN XPSP2 RPC2 Beta version which was provided on Oct or Nov issue of Digit. This buggy beta version had some problems like I could not connect to the net.

Tech&ME

Banned
Well Shikhar why don't u uninstall Win XP SP2 RC2 Beta and install SP2 Final it is also now included with the Digit CDs. But my advice will be to visit the microsoft website first and understand the pre-requirements before you install SP2 final. To resolve issues after you install SP2, you must follow the instructions given on the website. Remove spyware and other unwanted applications (freewares/sharewares) before installing SP2. I am telling you all this because some guys in this forum had installed SP2 and got into some problems. I have installed SP2 and have no problems. Yes, problems can be there if u do not install it correctly, because it is not an application that u can install as u want. This is mostly a Security Update and makes wide changes to the OS.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
I'm on plain NAV 2005 Standard without any firewall...

NAV's IWC feature is good...

It detects lot of scans... I'm living fine on the internet with it. ;-)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
ZoneAlarm Pro version:5.5.062.000 and after are the best i think. Zone alarm has ironed out lots of issues it had and i think in the present form its the best.
However the most important point is how you configure a firewall . The permissions you give your firewall is the sole thing that will make it best or worse. So to pick up the best firewall one needs to check how its configured at the default settings.
ZoneAlarm hits the sweet spot for me.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm.. I am running Kaspersky Anti Hacker trial these days ..Looks a good software to me .. And its the only other Firewall with stealth feature that I know of .. It uses very small resources and thats why I am liking it ... Will keep you updated ..

OP
S

Shikhar

Journeyman
Had Sygate on my PC. Even after setting up the rules couldn't stop even one attempt. maybe because it was old version. Tried Outpost Firewall as well but it blocked my net access only :lol: . Someone tries to hack my PC every 1 minute. Is anyone of you suffering from the same problem???

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I posted this earlier :

*www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm

and I have been using Look n Stop and its very very good. Very small foot print and highly configurable. You guys def have to check it out.

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
Nive question but you should have added an other option like I don't know / I prefer not to say / Firewall????? Whatz it?????

Basically the requirement of firewall depends system to system.... and its performance....and even some times OS.. (for your info XP hase inbuilt) Where as Zone alaram is also good Sygate people prefer... but it should not slowup the performance of system / internet.....and the last thing i hate is loading in startup and delaying the process startup... Hope you understand what i mean to

theraven

Technomancer
Nive question but you should have added an other option like I don't know / I prefer not to say / Firewall????? Whatz it?????
he was actually lookin for info
so i dun think those options apply
they just INVITE spam which is frowned upon :evil:
(for your info XP hase inbuilt)
check icecoolz link .. ull know what sp2s firewall is like
Where as Zone alaram is also good Sygate people prefer
hmm i havent seen a sygate user
most of the ppl i know use zone alarm
but it should not slowup the performance of system / internet.....and the last thing i hate is loading in startup and delaying the process startup... Hope you understand what i mean to
boss everyone knows what ur talkin abt ;)
thats y MOST of us shifted from [outoftopic] Norton Antivirus [/endofoutoftopic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom