Hacker suggests using the Opera browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
One of the creators of the MPack infection kit, a tool that allows data thieves and bot masters to take control of victims’ systems and steal personal information, said in an interview with SecurityFocus that using the Opera browser will keep you safe from his hacker tools.

Snippet from the interview:

Do you feel sorry for the people whose machines are infected by an attack?
Well, I feel that we are just a factory producing ammunition.

Anything else you’d like to add?
I would advise you to use the Opera browser with scripts and plug-ins disabled in order not to be caught by the MPack someday.

Kudos to the Opera security team!

Source

:cool:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I would advise you to use the Opera browser with scripts and plug-ins disabled in order not to be caught by the MPack someday.

Fine, I will do that in Firefox & IE too, now how is someone supposed to attack?

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
^^their must be some reason he suggested opera
anyway..this is a known fact that opera is safer compared to firefox & IE..
so i was not surprised

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
how? If I disable scripts & plug-ins, ActiveX & javascript then there is hardly any way left to hack.

It can be done if there is a flaw in the HTML Engine, but even then the user has to click & visit site which phishing filter can warn about.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
But what about those exploits which the hackers do manage to find ? I dono much about those. But recently we had the WMF flaw, but i think it was in windows itself as all browsers were affected and I was aware of that.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, in that case even Opera is not secure.

Every browser has bugs & flaws. Thats the holy truth of software industry.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
We, the opera fans, probably never use opera with script disabled.

But, obviously, opera is the only recommended browser with script disabled. This is the point we can mark.

So, can't we conclude in this way: Opera + Linux = Ultimate security?

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
how? If I disable scripts & plug-ins, ActiveX & javascript then there is hardly any way left to hack.

Guess-
because Opera 'lacks' the much debated and desired 'feature' .
API! So no third party add-ons or extensions are possible.
Opera doesn't have an API , while all others have. This means much greater 'quality assurance' at the cost of not having roboform or google toolbar or stumbleupon or any of those amazing ff extensions (scrapbook)

probably never use opera with script disabled
just disable javascript (F12 > disable) and on the sites u want javascript , just right click > edit site pref > scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom