Guys, Suggest....... me What Should I refer for TCP/IP ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashis

In the zone
Hi Guys,
I was thinking to increase my knoledge in Networking & protocole, so the best option would be, as per me is TCP/IP....(Other Ideas are invited).

So can U Refer me some good books That I can Refer!!! :wink:

digen

Youngling
Hey dude,
Well I've recently started reading TCP/IP Volume I Principles,Protocols & Architecture by Douglas.E.Comer.Its priced at Rs.225/-
I dont know if its the best but yeah even I would like to know any other good books.

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
ok! people i think i can suggest one great book ...

COMPUTER NETWORKS
A Systems Approach

bY Larry L. Peterson & Bruce S. Davie ..

It's a great book ..cost is ard Rs.290/- .. U wont find a better book then this for TCP/IP ..

gud luck
enjoy!

indro

In the zone
TCP/IP is a routed protocol , you should also look into Routing protocol ,just in case you want to make some through in depth knowledge in network protocols , you make also need to look into Intelligent Routing later .. EBGP etc , Then into the complex algorithm in which it works , choosing the right protocol in the right infrastructure , Design and PDIOO moduler approach ,

In short ,networking has no end , consider a Vendor approach , i recommend Cisco , others include Nortel / Checkpoint etc .

Again , most of the protocls are vendor specific , different behavior (encapsulations etc )

For now , for a newbie , you need concepts for topologies , medium and basic knowledge on TCP/IP and UDP

Hope it makes sense

digen

Youngling
indro said:
TCP/IP is a routed protocol , you should also look into Routing protocol ,just in case you want to make some through in depth knowledge in network protocols , you make also need to look into Intelligent Routing later .. EBGP etc , Then into the complex algorithm in which it works , choosing the right protocol in the right infrastructure , Design and PDIOO moduler approach ,

In short ,networking has no end , consider a Vendor approach , i recommend Cisco , others include Nortel / Checkpoint etc .

Again , most of the protocls are vendor specific , different behavior (encapsulations etc )

For now , for a newbie , you need concepts for topologies , medium and basic knowledge on TCP/IP and UDP

Hope it makes sense
No offence meant dude but instead of explaining the cock & bull stuff you could have stuck to the topic & given a few suggestions or references for some hard copy material.
No wonder your suggestion may prove worthy for some but I presume thats not what the original poster asked for.

digen

Youngling
indro said:

Hope it makes sense
Edit:Nice suggestion there.Also for a start have a look at *www.learntosubnet.com/.Pretty neat & slick info there.The subnetting funda has been explained very well over there.
For TCP/IP part *www.learntcpip.com/.
Well for hard copies any other good material out there?

OP
Ashis

Ashis

In the zone
digen verma said:
indro said:

Hope it makes sense
No offence meant dude but instead of explaining the cock & bull stuff you could have stuck to the topic & given a few suggestions or references for some hard copy material.
No wonder your suggestion may prove worthy for some but I presume thats not what the original poster asked for.

I THINK THE SUGGESSION WAS GOOD (The Indepth Thing).....U many never know the Cock & Bull May produce amaging Things :lol:

digen

Youngling
Yeah very true,thats why by mistake I posted a second one instead of editing it.
I admit & apologize for the ignorance on my part.

ashok

Broken In
This Is the Right Thread to Post my Dilemmatic Question.

I am about to face a Telephonic Interview with GE (GeCIS to be precise)
some days herafter.It would be the second Interview.In the first one,I was
asked to speak abt myself and some other routine stuff.I was also
asked about Windows & MS-Office.I replied satisfactorily.

Next,I was asked about my knowldge in Networking.I replied that My
knowledge was limited to LAN and Hub-Server concept and that too
at a superficial level only.The Interviewer then gave me three days
time to brush up my knowledge and face again.

Now people,I shall be trying out some of the Books that have been
recommended in this thread.Apart from these,what other books should
'I refer to?

And since it is a BPO ,I suppose Emphasis will be more on Network Trouble
shooting.Any Nice Books on it? What other things should I be good at
while facing a Telephonic Interview? Please Help.

ycr007

Broken In
Computer NEtworking by Andrew S Tannenbaum was the book we had
in college.& it was a pretty good book.

Incidentally I too was looking out for some networking topic on the DB.

Anyone know how to connect Two PC's Just for Gaming purposes.
A Cross-Crimped cable is the solution I believe.Can someone elaborate?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
Damn i should have started a thread on this ;) . i think i already had one regarding tech jobs lol
anyways

@ashok :
- try getting dumps of Network Plus or even those software tests if possible .
- Brush up ur OSI layers and be thorough on which devices go where .
- Most tech support guys , will ask u questions and if u do well , they will skip to the next question which will probably be more difficult .
- If u dont know an answer , never try to confuse urself with another answer which might be similar . Be precise in what u know and leave out what u dont .
- be slow and accurate and Pronounce the terms well and stress on them . If its voice support , this will be what their looking for even in technical round .
- anyways they will have training for a month i guess before u hit the floor , so watch out for ur english and straigh forward answers . all the best
- try to stay as calm as possible , even standing under a fan during the talk is good . keep a hanky in hand
- Find out who their clients are , through their site or other way . If their an ISP prepare on questions based on that like routers and switches and differences , If their PC manufacturer , Home networking and basic network questions might be put to u like connecting 2 or more computers , troubleshooting even though u have all the connectors , connecting printers over the network .
- Some guys might try to put u off by asking u "are u sure the answer is right " if u know , stick by ur answer .
- How to check network devices on modems , under diff windows version .
- How to manually install modems and stuff and troubleshoot them
- ip address classes and subnet . not many go into subnetting itself as u have to calculate and stuff . just brush through it in any case . Search for "subnet+ppt" or subnet+guide to get good presentations explaining stuff abt subnets or any term for that matter .

regarding telephonic interview , just google/teoma for telephone interview guide or do's and don't . till then try these .

- Always answer the interview standing up and not sitting down . this actually works for some reason
- Smile : the guy on the other end will know ur a calm person , even if he cant see it .
- Polite as possible , but dont over do it
- Ask them their name and if u cant pronounce well ( if their american or british ) , ask how u can call them .
- Dont start of answers with Basically
- Record ur voice on pc or cassete on the basic questions like , tell me abt ur self and give ur experience and background . Listen to it and try to improve on it with each recording . Even standing in front of a mirror will make u more confident . This is the BEST way to get through BPO interviews anywhere . Trust Me
- Keep a copy of ur cv u sent them in front of u . Some people send so many diff versions , they fumble during the interview .
- Keep a pen and paper next to u , koz they probably will give u info on ur next round :)
- If they ask u if u have any questions , dont go into compensation talk already , stick to how u can move up the company and how high u can move into a company (optional) . or general doubts abt the company and if they plan to expand in the future .
- End the call with a thanks and how u appreciate them for taking the time to call u .

IG

Journeyman
Bit late...but here are my two bits :p
At work here,we prefer Comer for TCP/IP.Its the most easily understandable book to begin with.
Once ur done with the basics u can use Tannenbaum.Only diff is tannenbaum is for Networking as a whole.
Comer is specifically for TCP/IP.Get volume one and read from it.AFAIK there is no better book *for a beginer*.
If u need subneting and all explained use Todd Lammle's CCNA guide.

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Chillax DUDE

I was in your league before i started collecting eBooks
Then i happened to get all sorts of guides I wanted

I made a collection out of the best ones and I use them frequently

Mail me at

raj.neo@gmail.com

and I will send the best ever eBooks available on your Topic
:wink: :wink: :wink:

ashok

Broken In
Thanx a Gazillon Klinux for those hot tips.....I sure Kept them in mind and
the interview went along smoothly.I am keeping my fingers crossed and
am waiting for the next round which will be a Face 2 Face one....

Now I have another one at Bharti Corp. and the necessity this time is
Switching Systems and Multiplexers/Demultiplexers etc.I have scoured
Google but could'nt find any Concrete stuff.All i got were headers and
list of contents etc....

Any eBooks on the above topix would definitely help.Moreover anyone
here has a Hands-On knowledge about Switching systems and the like?
The Tech Interview will be handled at DGM level so I'm very apprehensive.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
kongrats ashok .
not sure i got enuf tips for the bharti corp , sounds too technical . someone here might be able to help u in that . anyways regarding the 2nd round at GE u could go through most of the jobsites help pages on how to attend and present urself at interviews . especially read the part abt salary negotiations and keep it at the back of ur mind .

If ur looking out at call centers in chennai , a lot of them are hiring at the moment . not sure if they will pay as high as in b'lore or hyd , but plenty of openings . will give more details if need be .

theres a yahoo groups called "VSERVEU" with openings of major companies in india . not sure if they still r there, u could do a search for them in groups.yahoo.com .
Anyways , All the best

Charley

Just Do It
Dude try the O'Reilly books

View the archive of free PDF chapters.

802.11 Security

802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide

Building Wireless Community Networks, 2nd Edition

Designing Large-Scale LANs

DNS & BIND Cookbook

DNS and BIND, 4th Edition

DNS on Windows 2000

Ethernet: The Definitive Guide

Hardening Cisco Routers

Home Networking Annoyances -- New!

Internet Core Protocols: The Definitive Guide

IP Routing

IPv6 Essentials

IPv6 Network Administration (March)

Managing IMAP

Managing IP Networks with Cisco Routers

Network Printing

Network Security Assessment

Network Security Hacks

Network Security with OpenSSL

Network Troubleshooting Tools

Palm OS Network Programming

TCP/IP Network Administration, 3rd Edition

Trucos Redes Inalambricas Spanish language book

Using & Managing PPP

Virtual Private Networks, 2nd Edition

Windows NT TCP/IP Network Administration

Source - *sysadmin.oreilly.com/

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

OP
Ashis

Ashis

In the zone
Hi Guys, :D
I finally purchased a TCP/IP Book :twisted:
TCP/IP Protocol Suite by Behrouz A. Forouzan
It was of Rs 325 after discount Rs 276 !!!

ycr007

Broken In
Ashis said:
Hi Guys, :D
I finally purchased a TCP/IP Book :twisted:
TCP/IP Protocol Suite by Behrouz A. Forouzan
It was of Rs 325 after discount Rs 276 !!!
whoa!! Such a Hefty Discount.......Didja buy it at A.K.Mishra?
or any other?? Hope it is a Nice book.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom