GUI Installation Manager For Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirtan

Journeyman
Hello guys!!I'm quite a newbie to linux and have been trying to get familiarised with fedora core 4.I'm facing problems trying to install applications in linux.So i needed to know if there are any GUI Install mangers for linux and will they work with all distros.please give me the name of the GUI manager if there are any.

praka123

left this forum longback
As for GUI's,there is "pirut" in fedora,'synaptic" in Debian and its derivatives like Ubuntu etc.for redhat/fedora also is "system-config-packages"

eddie

El mooooo
First of all Fedora 4 is too old for comfort. Get something newer like Fedora 6.

Now coming to your question. Since Fedora 4, the distro comes with Yum as its package manager and the GUI front-end for the command is known as yumex. To install yumex, all you need to do is pass the following command in a terminal window as root
Code:
yum install yumex
Once you do that, you will have a GUI client that will look like the following image and will work as you desire :)
*www.yum-extender.org/gfx/yumex/yumex.png

@praka123: Did Fedora 4 come with pirut? :?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If you are new you are better off trying Open SuSE. No terminals to fiddle around with. Everything is through YaST, which is like a extended control panel of windows

OP
kirtan

kirtan

Journeyman
Thanks Eddie.Your help is really appreciated.As for using suse linux i'm at a training center and it is compulsory that we have to use fc4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom