Grub how to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
my story is divided into 3 situations like this:
1.initially i had 2xp's and vista installed, vith the vista bootloader as default.
so whenever i booted, the vista oader would give a option "older versions of windows" that took me into the xp bootloader (ntldr) where i could choose betn my 2 xps.

2.one fine day i decided to install opensuse 11...n thought it necessary to replace vista bootloader vith xp(using the recovery console and fixmbr n fixboot) so that ntldr overwrote vistaldr..n then installed suse with its grub...
now suse grub gave me 4 options like this
-->suse11
-->suse11 (failsafe)
-->windows1
-->windows2
and amazingly,windows 1 took me directly to the ntldr, while windows 2 took me to the vista loader! just what i wanted.

3. on another fine day, i decided i had enough of suse and deleted that partition and installed ubuntu hardy heron...with grub..but now my boot options looked like
-->ubuntu
-->ubuntu(memtest)
-->other bootloaders
-->vista/lonhorn
the vista longhorn option took me directly to ntldr, where i could choose only betn xp.

so now what i want is the setup similar to situation 2, only therell be ubuntu instead of suse...so how do i go about doin it (no pun here)guys?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If you know the partitions on which your your distros reside, windows and linux, all you have to do is
1. Install GRUB to the root (/) partition of Ubuntu
2. Install the GAG bootloader, see the end of this tutorial for instructions
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96132

If you do not know the partitions on which your your distros reside heaven help you.

OP
sagar_coolx

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
yup by a stroke of luck, i already installed grub on / partition of ubuntu

tried gag...but apart from floppy, it just shows me four other partition all windows/ ntfs...whole i have like 8-10 partition(4 on ist hdd(160 gig), 4-5 on 2nd(250 gig))
both xp's are on 1st hdd while vista n linux r on second

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom