Greenpeace Slams Apple, Lauds Lenovo as "Greenest" PC Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
*img261.imageshack.us/img261/6136/4355largegreenpeacemeteza5.jpg​

Environmental group Greenpeace has named Lenovo as the most ecologically friendly electronics maker in the world, while the lowest marks went to Apple Computer for its contribution to "toxic tech".
*images.dailytech.com/frontpage/fp__apple.jpg
In its just-released Guide to Greener Electronics (PDF), the activist organization rated electronics companies based on their record of eliminating hazardous substances from their products and manufacturing processes, and on their commitment to actively recycling obsolete products.

Lenovo scored eight of a possible 10 points in the report, earning praise for phasing out dangerous chemicals and for being the first to provide "global takeback and recycling services wherever its products are sold." Lenovo also got high marks for its adherence to existing environmental regulations and other relevant policies designed to protect human health and the global environment.

Of the 14 companies reviewed by Greenpeace, Apple fell to the bottom of the barrel with a dismal score of only 2.7 points. The PC and peripheral maker ran afoul of Greenpeace for inadequate recycling policies and for waffling on its timelines to phase out hazardous materials such as brominated flame retardants (BFRs) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

"For a company that claims to lead on product design, it is perhaps surprising to find Apple languishing at the bottom of the scorecard," the report states. "While other laggards have moved upwards in the Guide (to Greener Electronics), Apple has made no changes to its policies or practices since the launch of the Guide in August 2006. The company scores badly on almost all criteria."

Sony, Panasonic and LG electronics were also singled out as polluters in the report. LG and Sony were even assigned "penalty points" for corporate double-speak on environmental issues. Specifically, the Greenpeace report claims that the two companies publicly espouse support for producer responsibility, which designates "that the producer -- not consumer -- should be responsible for financing the waste management of its own brand products when they are discarded."

However, Greenpeace charges that both manufacturers are also "part of a coalition that has been opposing producer responsibility and lobbying for U.S. consumers to pay an Advanced Recycling Fee (ARF)."

Greenpeace has had a bone to pick with Apple for some time. Last year Greenpeace demonstrators were kicked out of MacExpo. Two months later, Greenpeace released a scathing report detailing Apple as the worst environmentally friendly PC manufacturer in the world.

Source

eddie

El mooooo
This is a really sorry situation. With every passing day we care about environment a little less and a multi-billion dollar leading the way just shows how petty we have become.

P.S. These posts are the reason why we need Microsoft and Mac fanboys...people coming in and defending the companies while enlightening us with counter points.

OP
tarey_g

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
eddie said:
P.S. These posts are the reason why we need Microsoft and Mac fanboys...people coming in and defending the companies while enlightening us with counter points.

Hello Mr , i am offended by your quote. I hate fanboys and don't want to be called one. I post only when someone can't stop spreading bull crap. This thread is a news thread and i have posted it as is, even without any personal comment on the news by me on any company.

So mind thinking twice before you declare anyone a fanboy , some will take it as complement but not me.

eddie

El mooooo
Looks like someone got misunderstood (points towards himself). What I meant was that we need fanboys like the ones who have been currently miserabled. They would have made it into an interesting discussion telling us more details and background info about the study. I hope it is clearer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom