graphics programming??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi.xolve

Broken In
We are now starting graphics programming in our cmouter science course. Our labs have TC++ installed and still use the old BGI graphics library provided with the IDE. I use GNU/Linux on my PC and I want to do graphics programming based on current standards and which are supported on Linux. Can you please help me to sort out this matter.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
ravi.xolve said:
We are now starting graphics programming in our cmouter science course. Our labs have TC++ installed and still use the old BGI graphics library provided with the IDE. I use GNU/Linux on my PC and I want to do graphics programming based on current standards and which are supported on Linux. Can you please help me to sort out this matter.
svga, qt, gtk to name a few
Here's an example of using svgalib *db.glug-bom.org/wiki/index.php/Trivial_Graphics_Programming_with_GCC_and_Svgalib
Wiki seems to be down for now, though.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Or you can directly program with OpenGL API. (A little tough though, but surely its got teh 3D! Doom 3/Quake 3/ UT2004 all work on Linux with OpenGL)

Sykora

I see right through you.
If you want to just create user interfaces (buttons, and textboxes and the like), go for qt/gtk - gtk is easier to use (generally), qt looks better (again, generally). If you want freeform graphics like games, etc, I recommend OpenGL, although it is hard to get a hang of it, the end results are awesome.

nightcrawler

Broken In
qt/gtk is good enough if you wish to make programs (dialog boxes and such ui). Rather i suggest you learn qt/gtk even if you wish to learn OpenGL although no such perquisite is needed.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
For C GTK is good enough. If you want to do it in C++ then use QT. Although there is c++ variant of GTK i can't recall it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom