Not open for further replies.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Hi

My current configuration is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
A7N266-VM mobo
512 Mb DDR 266 RAM

I am planning to upgrade my onboard graphics solution (Geforce 2 MX) to a better card. My system being old, going for a very fast graphics solution would be foolish since the rest of the system would be a bottleneck. The Geforce 6600GT seems to be a good card. My queries are:

1) My board has an AGP Pro (4x) slot. Will there be any problems/incompatibilites if I install the 6600GT (8x version) on this slot? (besides the performance loss, which I don't mind much because I might upgrade the mobo/proc sooner or later).

2) Is the Radeon 9800 Pro better than the 6600Gt. If so, why? Also, how much would it cost and is it available in Delhi?

Thanx in advance

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
nope, absolutely no problem.
But do make sure that you have a very good SMPS of atleast 450W from Antec or Coolermaster to juice up your card.Connecting this card on your board will simply scale down its overall performance to AGP 4X!

And secondly 6600Gt is far far better than Radeons,including 9800Pro.

And one more thing, make sure that you should either go for XFX or Gainward brands only.

Hell yeah! It is available in our place,my friend!
I am in Noida. :wink:
And you can find this card very easily in Nehru Palace costing around 9000/- to 10500/- bucks depending upon your choice for VRAM capacity.

Even i am getting one soon for my pc.:D:D:D

mav3r1ck

Broken In
@Nimda,
i would suggest that u go for the card which is cheaper of those two u mentioned coz u wanna upgrade ur mobo. and a 10000 bucks AGP card will be useless when u upgrade to a PCIe slot board. and it won't resell at the price u want it to be sold. 9800 pro 256 MB DDR2 AGP card can still give competition to 6600 GT. remember it has 256 bit bus width as opposed to GT's 128 bit bus width and both cards have 8 pixel pipelines. of course u might argue that the GT has SM 3.0 etc which the 9800 pro doesn't have, but it doesn't make much difference. go for the cheaper of the two. i don't know the prices so if someone knows the prices of the two cards plz post them. i might also buy one of these(the cheaper one that is).

cha.

OP
Nimda

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Hey thanks for those wonderful replies ppl. I almost forgot about the SMPS factor. Thanks for pointing that out, mayank.

And the 9800Pro is indeed a very good card. According to some benchmarks on the web, it posted a 13k 3dmark 2k1 score and about 5.7k 3dmark 03 score on this mobo which is indeed very good. Well, it's all down to price now. Time for the Nehru Place trip ;)

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hey guys , how is big graphics card ?

i was quoated 9.8 k for xfx 6600 gt 128 mb agp here in mumbai -lamington road

and big 6600 gt 128 mb agp for 8 k and big 6600 gt 256 mb agp for 9.5 k ,, now they are cheap .. also i am getting 256 mb card instead of 128 mb as in the case of big.. how is big .. are they have good performance .. agp cards only..

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Please please.............dont go for BIG cards. They really suck in performance and in overclocking. rather poor quality components are implemented on them.

Still they are not able to give the exact and correct specifications of their cards launched.

Dont go for it. Either choose among these, Gainward,XFX,eVGA,Asus,MSI.

@nimbda,
9800Pro is without a doubt a very good card, but it is still at second in comparison to mighty 6600GT. With its overclocking potential and modding behaviour, one can very easily outperform the Radeon card!
Price???
Go check it out. I am telling you 6600Gt is still cheaper than 9800PRO.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hey mayanksharma , thanks for ur advice buddy .. infact i knew that BIG cards are not that good but they are like cheap hence gave a thought .. :idea:

and is EVGA graphics cards are available in india ? if yes than pls give their contact no in mumbai ...

anyways, most probably i will go for xfx 6600 gt 128 mb agp .. but still what should be its appropriate purchase price ? i am thinking like 9-9.5 k

what's ur take on its price? also i am from mumbai..

hermit

Journeyman
xfx 6600 gt 256Mb in hyderabad is for 4500 and 128 for 3600? how come so cheap plz tell me i am going to purchase it next month .

cyrux

In the zone
hey hermit, thats not possible dude.. where did you enquire the prices . At CTC (chenoy trade center) or some where else.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
My friends, here are the details for XFX 6600GT with 128MB of DDR3 VRAM,

Interface = 128/256bits
VRA= 128/256MB DDR3
Core and Memory clocks = 500MHz/1.03GHz
Bandwidth= 16.6GBps

Price in Delhi, Nehru Palace= 9500/- for XFX 6600GT 128MB and 10500/- for XFX 6600GT 256MB card.
Gainward 6600GT for 8750/- only(BEST DEAL!!)

Lamington Road, Mumbai
GT cards are avaialbe at the rate of 9500 and above only! One can get the best deal though on Gainward cards,if they are available with the tag of 8500-9000/-!!

eVGA cards are available through the official Nvidia centres and Authorized Dealers like Rashi Peripherals,on special demands and requests only.
And mind one thing, for sure that they are pretty costly too. But once you get the performance than all the juice is worth squeezing too!! And also eVGA cards come with these specifications:-

Interface=256bits
Core and Memory Clocks= 600MHz/1.2GHz
Bandwidth=14.4GBps

Prices may vary from capacities of RAM, the card carries..i.ie. 12000-15000 with the high end models!

Though i would seriously recommend you all to please go for Gainward Cards, as they can be very easily overclocked without any hassles.Because their stock cooling is pretty good to pull the card's frequencies to a very satisfiable limits.
But on the other hand XFX cards donot have very good stock cooling and therefore becomes hurdle during the overclocking!
But one can get very good cooling solutions from Zalman or Coolermaster or OCz or Arctic, through which some insane limits can be accessed!

thanks!

hermit

Journeyman
hermit said:
xfx 6600 gt 256Mb in hyderabad is for 4500 and 128 for 3600? how come so cheap plz tell me i am going to purchase it next month .

yes in CTC , i was surprised to hear prices . But they said that they r fake once as i said there price as seen here .

lol ,how easy then can cheat .

cyrux

In the zone
You mean they admitted that those are fake ones...lol
@hermit where do u stuff from...any reliable dealer (good advisor) in CTC... i go to shweta comp (basement) but they dont have much knowledge about things....any knowledgeable persons there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom