graphics card prices vs. performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
can any one tell the all graphics cards in the range upto 6k with their prices ? let it start from cards whose persormance are better than i915 gma .

what s the cost of the costliest card and the best card ?
are they diff ?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Please post this query in the Hardware section from henceforth.
The best for your 6k budget stream is the XFX Geforce 6600 Plain version with 256MB VRam which will handle most games at normal resolutions pretty decently.

As far as the best query is concerned,
For Nvidia consider 7800GTX 512MB which is approximately 54k.
and for ATi Its the Powercolor Ati Radeon X1800XT 256MB which must be around 32k.

I

invisible

This is repeated many times.

Leadtek Geforce 6200 128MB 128 BIt (non-TC) - Rs 4000

*leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_a6200_td_2.html

Leadtek WinFast A6600 TD DDR2 128MB 128 Bit - Rs 6500

*leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_a6600_td_2.html

XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128MB 128 Bit DDR3 (PV-T43G-ND) -Rs 10000

*www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=950

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
sorry.
i'll put in hardware from next time.

what about low range cards that i can throw in an yr ?
least cost ??

I

invisible

sagargv said:
sorry.

least cost ??
XFX Geforce 5200 128MB 64Bit - Rs 1800
XFX Geforce 5200 256MB 128Bit - Rs 2500
These are the best cards in low segment range.

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
invisible said:
sagargv said:
sorry.

least cost ??
XFX Geforce 5200 128MB 64Bit - Rs 1800
XFX Geforce 5200 256MB 128Bit - Rs 2500
These are the best cards in low segment range.

are all these PCIe cards ? Intel 915 suppoerts only PCIe

wil going for the GeForce 6600GT XFX be future proof for next 3 years ???

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Techie_Geek said:
are all these PCIe cards ? Intel 915 suppoerts only PCIe

wil going for the GeForce 6600GT XFX be future proof for next 3 years ???
Well I suppose I had seen a few PCI-E versions(AGP-PCI-E bridged version) of this(FX5200) card but not sure if its in stock out here.The 2 major versions for this card are AGP 8X and PCI.Btw its worthless to invest in this card when the 6200 is easily winning over it and is available in PCI-E version at low budget.:D

For the next question,The 6600GT wont pull off till 3 years.Depending on the pace of increase in Game's Engine and Garphic improvements its pretty hard to predict which card can pull the games and for how long.But lets just say that this card is still a good Mid range choice for now.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
6600GT wont last you 3 years. The longetivity of any card is 2 years and a bit more. Already Directx10 based games are being developed and the DX10 cards will be out in a year or so. Future proofing with a mid range card for 3 years might be stretching things a bit. Might have a chance if it is a 6800 series or the 7800 series.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
what should i do ? wait aand buy a good one ? or go for some stupid one ?

my mobo supports both agp8x and pcie . so no prob

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
PCI-E is def the way to go. Realistically 1-2 years down the line you may need to do an upgrade of the card. And by that time dual core CPU's and blah blah will become the norm. I would suggest getting a 6600 GT for now. Its price to performance ratio is really good. And remem down the line an upgrade is inevitable !!

vmp_vivek

In the zone
icecoolz said:
Might have a chance if it is a 6800 series or the 7800 series.

Dude, I even doubt on that !!! :shock: The reason is increasing usage of pixel shading technology, now latest development is Crytec(h?), by seeing the video of its new powerful engine, you CAN AND WILL DOUBT on the current very high end cards like 7800 GTX ! :? :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
sagargv said:
my mobo supports both agp8x and pcie . so no prob
Wait just a Darn freaking second.How can a 915 series motherboard support both AGP 8x and PCI-E at the same time.AFAIK there is no Intel Original Mobo in the 9xxx series which has such facility.Its PCI-E only.Check it up once again.And like ice suggested try and make a minimum possible entry with the 6600GT or try for an ATI Radeon X800GT which will be in the 9k price range.Beware X800GT is available only in PCI-E falvour and 6600GT has both AGP as well as PCI-E counterparts.

@vmp_vivek:The 7800GTX has great potential and it wont die as soon as the DX10 level based games hit the Market.Albeit the performance of such games will be optimised of the DX10 level cards I suppose this card(7800GTX) has enough juice to handle all the next lot of games till next 2 years or more atleast.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
icecoolz said:
PCI-E is def the way to go. Realistically 1-2 years down the line you may need to do an upgrade of the card. And by that time dual core CPU's and blah blah will become the norm. I would suggest getting a 6600 GT for now. Its price to performance ratio is really good. And remem down the line an upgrade is inevitable !!

yeah. but is it worth investing for a 6600GT now as i dont even have time to play games. now i play them just occassionally. is it better to buy a 7800GT or even better after 3yrs when i shall become free to play games a lot. can u suggest some card of double super low price as i play proboble once or twice a month as far as now is concerned. i dont want to throw 6600gt and throw it without even using it.

THANX

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well you have answered the question for yourself.You seem to be a very casual gamer and seeing that you are not much hell bent on playing every new title that comes out it wouldnt be wise for an upgrade now.Depending on your capacity just buy a moderate budget card and play games a bit decently.If you dont have much time to play then dont go into heavy hardware concerns right now.Better save up and buy a good card later on when you have the free time and need to play heavy games.:D

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
@
allwyndlima

i have asrock 775dual 915GL , it supports both agp8x and pcie16x.

however some cards arent supported.thats OK , i'll buy the brand supported

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Oh So its Asrock's Motherboard and not the Original Intel.In that case I have heard some strange things about its AGI slot being PCI slot advanced to a 4X AGP slot or something like that.Anyways If you do decide to upgrade then go in for a PCI-E solution.

I

invisible

sagargv said:
which one to go for around 3k range to be specific.
<for now >

XFX Geforce 6200 256MB (Onboard 128MB) 64Bit TC PCI-E - Rs 3500

*www.rptechindia.com/rashib2c/produ...Graphic+Cards&subcategory=Display+Cards+-+XFX

Since its a 64Bit card dont expect good performance @ high resolutions.

If your MOBO supports the Leadtak 128Bit 6200 AGP card take it.(performance will be double)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom